visaveteran

I married a woman, not a country

192 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, Feb.23rd came and went and nobody posted about the great gifts or royal treatment they received for "Defenders of the Fatherland" Day from their wives. Or did I miss something?

My wife never even mentioned it to me and I'm glad...as I did not defend the fatherland and I get enough attention on Veterans Day and Father's Day...American celebrations. And soon Int.Woman's Day will arrive and I will respond similarly. You see, I never joined the American Communist Party.

I get that most American men on this forum married a country as well as a woman. OK, good for you if you can't hold onto your own heritage. I married only a woman. I'm not Russo-centric or play games about honoring Russia...as there's little to honor. I think Boris Yeltsin represented Russia in the modern context most accurately...a stumbling drunk who let a historic opportunity slip by; and after he was done, he turned the country over to a KGB dictator. I used to fear the Red Army but now I see that most of their soldiers were drunk, armed with inferior weapons and poorly trained. The best thing Russia produced was the KGB which still runs Russia.

My wife does not ask for Russian TV or movies. Never celebrates Russian holidays and has adapted well to living as an American. She understands...I married her, not Russia.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Oh good, I'm glad you cleared that up for us. Because you've really left us all wondering about how you really felt about your wife's country in the countless posts where you've told us what a horrible country Russia is, what horrible people the Russians are, how disgustingly cowardly their military is, how superior the United States is, and on and on and on and on and on. So seriously, thanks for that, we can finally stop guessing.

Since you've opened your relationship up as a topic of conversation, I'm guessing your wife married you, not the United States. With regards to that, I wonder if you give her the same consideration that you demand. Somehow I doubt it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
My wife does not ask for Russian TV or movies. Never celebrates Russian holidays and has adapted well to living as an American. She understands...I married her, not Russia.

I so call BS.

TV - yeah, whatever, that's fine, but the rest...

Sounds like she married a country, actually.

But then again, didn't you mention she's from some god forsaken village in the middle of nowhere?

Thanks for entertaining me, by the way, I designate you as new 'mcat' for my daily musings.

Edited by Мартышк+Мартышка

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline
Oh good, I'm glad you cleared that up for us. Because you've really left us all wondering about how you really felt about your wife's country in the countless posts where you've told us what a horrible country Russia is, what horrible people the Russians are, how disgustingly cowardly their military is, how superior the United States is, and on and on and on and on and on. So seriously, thanks for that, we can finally stop guessing.

Since you've opened your relationship up as a topic of conversation, I'm guessing your wife married you, not the United States. With regards to that, I wonder if you give her the same consideration that you demand. Somehow I doubt it.

Well, I'm surprised all the Russo-centric husbands like you on the forum were so silent during such a traditional Russian holiday. Or is it just about women's holidays that causes lengthy postings and debate about flowers and such?

Mox, I'm not as paranoid as you in discussing my marriage. My wife had a hard Siberian life...not too many romantic visions as perhaps with the city girls. She's a person who lives with what is given...and what is given is the USA. She has taken that and moved on with her life. We don't play confusing games about where we live and who we honor. I don't enforce this...it is her choice.

I designate you as new 'mcat' for my daily musings.

yup...it will be an interesting reading throughout the afternoon..though that psycho lady ranting about UK vs US immigration on the other thread is pretty funny too (I wonder how much longer it will take before the mods actually close that thread).

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
04/09/09 - Embassy Received
05/18/09 - Interview Passed/Visa Approved
05/21/09 - Visa Received (picked up at Fedex in Kiev)
05/28/09 - Entered U.S. via JFK
05/29/09 - Applied for SS#
06/08/09 - SS# Received in the mail
06/12/09 - Applied for a Marriage License
06/19/09 - Wedding Day
07/03/09 - SS# under new name received in the mail

AOS/EAD/AP
07/27/09 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent
07/31/09 - Package arrived in Chicago
08/03/09 - NOA for all 3 forms
08/27/09 - Case transferred to CSC
09/02/09 - Biometrics appointment - Done
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/14/09 - AP & EAD approved - Card Ordered
09/18/09 - AP Received in the mail
09/21/09 - EAD Card received in the mail
09/25/09 - AOS Approved
09/29/09 - Green Card Sent
10/02/09 - Green Card Received.
12/18/09 - Got my Drivers License.

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.
08/15/11- Biometrics appointment.
03/17/12- ROC Approved - No Interview.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

04/15/15 - Became a US Citizen

Timeline
Such anger... One wonders why you come to this forum at all?

I'd suggest certain things, but I don't want the thread to be locked just yet.

It is funny and amusing. I project 3 pages before it dies down

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline
I hope you two "refugees" have a great life in America.

Awwww thank you so much.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Well good for you, and if your wife is truly happy, then good for her. And if, as you claim, you're not the world's most awesome polygamist for not marrying 142 million people, and that works for you and your wife, again good for both of you. That's what it's all about, finding somebody compatible.

What I don't understand, however, is your driving need to continually run down an entire country and culture, especially since you know that people from that culture, and people who do in fact appreciate the country and culture even if it's not perfect, not only frequent this forum but actually comprise it. If I remember correctly (maybe I don't), you're a Vietnam veteran, and I think you mentioned how bitter you were about being shot or shot at by a Soviet supplied enemy. So it might come as some surprise to you that there are no less than 5 Vietnam veterans in my family, 3 of whom have purple hearts, one of whom only has one leg. Not only have they all welcomed my Russian wife into our family with wide open arms, they've expressed genuine interest and respect for her and her country and culture. During our reception, my father (a purple-heart Vietnam swiftboat vet) went to one of the local Russian stores and bought a metric sh*t ton of Russian decorations and food, so that she'd feel welcome into our country and our family. (as a side note, my Russian wife insisted on taking several pictures with my father who was in uniform, to send back to her family because they have a very deep respect for the military.) The tables at our reception were adorned with an American flag and a Russian flag. My uncle who had stepped on a Soviet-made landmine spoke to my wife for several hours on Thanksgiving, genuinely interested in her and her culture. They even talked about the cold war, Afghanistan, and other issues I was genuinely surprised that she was interested in talking about. These men, every one of whom had been somehow adversely affected by the Soviet Union, didn't just tolerate her. They genuinely liked her, and had a genuine interest in her and her country. And I'll just add that my wife is no wilting violet when it comes to pride in her country. She was very happy to talk with pride about her country, even to a man whose leg was lost to a Soviet land mine. And that was just fine.

So lose the bitterness, or at least please just stfu about it. Your nastiness towards a people who are no longer your enemy are well documented. I'll admit to being completely baffled by your selection of a wife, but as I said, if it works for you and her, then good for the both of you. But dude: get over it. Most people from your generation have.

Timeline
You, however, are a real piece of work...a Russian refugee who eats from the hand of the US and plays it up as a citizen, but goes back to the land you supposedly escaped from to find a wife.

Well, since after a certain age people start reverting back to childhood, I'm going to explain this like you are 5, grandpa.

I really could care less about your misconceptions, but! seeing how you clearly ignore the information you obtain and always come back to spewing your bile, I'm going to run with the concept that you are mentally hilarious.

Oh eats from the hand? :lol: repeating yourself aren't we? How come do I feel you are the one mooching off the government actually.

I SO don't care Dude. You're a rookie at this. Nothing more.

You are right, I'm a rookie at being retarded, but then again, it's something I'll never be able to accomplish.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

You, however, are a real piece of work...a Russian refugee who eats from the hand of the US and plays it up as a citizen, but goes back to the land you supposedly escaped from to find a wife. Now that's schizoid. I hope you two "refugees" have a great life in America.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. So Mart, a US citizen, goes to Russia for a wife, and that is a bad thing. (I don't think you understand what "schizoid" means, but we'll just go with "bad thing.") You, visaveteran, a US citizen, go to Russia for a wife, and that's a good thing.

Hey how about just finally coming out and admitting that in your mind anyway, you brought home a war trophy and be done with it?

Timeline
I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. So Mart, a US citizen, goes to Russia for a wife, and that is a bad thing. (I don't think you understand what "schizoid" means, but we'll just go with "bad thing.") You, visaveteran, a US citizen, go to Russia for a wife, and that's a good thing.

Hey how about just finally coming out and admitting that in your mind anyway, you brought home a war trophy and be done with it?

Yeah it is amusing isn't it?

But that's ok, I'm a second class citizen for VV, and we know it. Naturalized citizens are not real citizens, yay!

Can I please stop paying my taxes then?

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

[quote name='mox' date='Feb 26 2010, 01:25 PM' post='3748723'

What I don't understwhen it comes to pride in her country. She was very happy to talk with pride about her country, even to a man whose leg was lost to a Soviet land mine. And that was just fine.

So lose the bitterness, or at least please just stfu about it. Your nastiness towards a people who are no longer your enemy are well documented. I'll admit to being completely baffled by your selection of a wife, but as I said, if it works for you and her, then good for the both of you. But dude: get over it. Most people from your generation have.

Again, this is an open forum where even ponies can be discussed. I provide a counter-balance to all the Russo-centrism which at times is cloyingly sweet and over done IMO. None of us needs to discuss any of this. It's all unnecessary. The key work of the forum is to help people with visa issues. The rest is filler. The "I love Russia" crappola or the "Russia Stinks" crappola is filler.

I never attack Russian people as citizens or human beings. I attack the culture and government and policies. Your depictions of my intentions or comments are inaccurate.

I'll lay down my sword for a minute and honor your Vietnam vet family members. I'll tell you my story from a Russian encounter. I was in Siberia after I married my wife. A girlfriend of hers and her boyfriend wanted to meet us and take us for a ride up into the beautiful mountains. During the drive her boyfriend said to me in rough English, "We're comrades." I did not understand at first and then he explained that when the Americans left Vietnam, groups from the Russian Army moved in. He was one such soldier. So, he was telling me we were comrades from Vietnam. I liked that...being Vietnam comrades. He could have seen me differently, but he understood there is a brotherhood among all veterans. In a general sense, I have anger issues but at the man to man level, I can connect in a good way.

Vietnam is an issue for me and always will be. Don't tell me to "get over it." Men I knew died. I've got a hole in my leg from an AK-47...a gun which you and Slim like to discuss. Yes, my marriage, and, in fact, to some extent, all our marriages are a paradox. The Soviet Union was our arch enemy for 40 years. I am a product of the Cold War. That will never change. Yet I married a Russian woman. A lot of sociologists would enjoy studying this phenomena.

Perhaps I've been given a gift from Russia as a make-up. Maybe cosmic justice...or maybe blind luck. It is what it is.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

hey visaveteran - are you two religious at all ?

make note of the orthodox calendar and the orthodox religious holidays?

found an orthodox community in yer area?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.