dolphins

What is our next step?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so thanks in advance for any information you can provide. My husband is here illegal from Mexico. He has been here for ten years and we have been married for almost seven and have two kids age six and four. When he came here he entered without inspection. We have filed his I130 and are now ready to file the I824 to have his case moved to Ciudad Juarez and pay the 340 dollars to do that. Our understanding is that next he will receive a request for more documents. WHat will they request? How much more money will we have to send? After that we were told that then he would have to go to Ciudad Juarez to finish the process. WHat will have to be done once he is there? Does anyone know an approximate amount of money he will need to have with him? We know he will be denied because he was here illegal but we can file a waiver. How much does it cost to file the waiver? How long will he be in Mexico?

If anyone has been through a similiar situation and can give us some insight we would greatly appreciate it!

Hi dolphins,

1. I'm not sure why you would have to file the I-824. I understood that was for cases that have been lost or forgotten.

2. RFEs are requests for more information, e.g., if you did not send enough information in your original packet you get one. There is no fee for an RFE. :guides:

3. The I-130 costs:

USCIS: 355, NVC/ Interview: 400 DHL at the interview: 70 for one of the forms (I forget which because the fee is not relevant to me) 8 Medical Exam: currently about 175 plus VAT plus the vaccinations, probably approximately 344 if not more. Add to that the cost of flights, hotel in CJ, taxis, and a variety of paperwork. However, those prices can change at any time, so be prepared for that.

4. In Ciudad Juarez, he will have a medical exam on one day, and then the interview later. Most people advise leaving at least one day between the medical and the interview because there can be delays. He will be denied at the interview, and then wait around for DHL to send him information saying if his case is waiverable or not. If he is eligible for a waiver, you can call right away about it. Some people get scheduled while they are still in Juarez. You will want to have your waiver packet prepared before you go there. Your hardship waiver is very important. Here's VJ's link to more info:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=319

I would also recommend www.immigrate2us.net and www.smf.juarez-mexico.com because there are a lot of people on both those forums who have experience with those issues.

I don't have enough knowledge about waivers to know how your case will go, but you should make sure you are aware of what the consequences of leaving the US will be, because some people gets bans much larger than they expected. I recommend checking with some of the other forums.

Edited by Lia792

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

There was a case similar to yours in the Brazilian forum, that the woman entered the US without inspection and the US citizen (husband) was asking about the waiver.

If I recall people were saying if you entered without inspection you are not waivable. I think your husband may have 5 or 10 years ban form the US. Really not sure.

Take a look at the topic: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...232416&st=0

Hope someone with more acknowledge can help you guys. And definitely find legal advice, you can't do a waiver by yourself.

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Timeline
There was a case similar to yours in the Brazilian forum, that the woman entered the US without inspection and the US citizen (husband) was asking about the waiver.

If I recall people were saying if you entered without inspection you are not waivable. I think your husband may have 5 or 10 years ban form the US. Really not sure.

Take a look at the topic: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...232416&st=0

Hope someone with more acknowledge can help you guys. And definitely find legal advice, you can't do a waiver by yourself.

Thank you both for the info.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If he entered without inspection, then he needs to leave the U.S. ASAP and return to Mexico and process his case from there.

File the I-130. The case will be denied at the embassy so be prepared with a waiver/hardship package.

Get a good lawyer, if you haven't already.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline
If he entered without inspection, then he needs to leave the U.S. ASAP and return to Mexico and process his case from there.

File the I-130. The case will be denied at the embassy so be prepared with a waiver/hardship package.

Get a good lawyer, if you haven't already.

Thank you

How hard is it to get the waiver prepared?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline
Thank you

How hard is it to get the waiver prepared?

hi i would speak to an immigration attorney before u decide for him to leave...i believe u can file the 130 form while he is in usa...i would not rush thinking he has to leave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually the bans for illegal entry and presence in the US are waiverable and are 3 years if someone was here between 180 - 365 days of illegal presence in the US and 10 years for 365 days plus.

So OP - you'll likely get hit with a 10 year ban. You will need to prove how you will endure extreme hardship if your husband is not returned to the US and how you cannot move to Mexico. Here is a link to get you started

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=316

You'll need a lawyer to help you with the waiver packet as it is long and difficult to prepare.

Good luck.

PS - head on over to immigrate2us.net. They are a site that focuses on waivers and illegal entries/overstays.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

"hi i would speak to an immigration attorney before u decide for him to leave...i believe u can file the 130 form while he is in usa...i would not rush thinking he has to leave"

Since he entered without inspection he is not eligible to adjust status from within the US.

Filed: Other Timeline

If your husband leaves the US, he will be banned for 10 years. Yes, this ban can be overcome with a waiver where you would have to state extreme hardship, but such a waiver is extremely difficult to obtain. I venture to say that a wife and two children in the US is not enough hardship in the eyes of the USCIS. If you were a USC and in a wheelchair, unable to move, to eat, to do anything on your own, that would most likely work.

Given your situation, I venture to say that you cannot get AOS done without the help of a competent immigration attorney, and you shouldn't have even filed anything as you will do more harm to your husband's case than you could possibly know. One mistake and he's in detention, waiting to be deported to Mexico.

Out of 100 immigration attorneys, perhaps 5 to 10 are experts in waiver situations like yours. The best one I know is Laurel Scott. She is otherworldly good in these special cases. Go to www.immigrate2Us.com as that site is rather specialized in cases like yours.

Until recently, any EWI was believed to be the kiss of death for any petition. It still is, but, interestingly, there's a fine line where EWI is not applied if your husband entered without inspection but did not sneak in, but instead was not inspected because the border agent waved him through, as it was often the case for people who crossed the Mexico/US border in the old days when your husband arrived. Yes, you will have to prove that, but that's not impossible to do, if you know what you need to know.

Again, don't try to tackle this on your own. Your case is so difficult and filled with land mines that can explode in your face at any given time. If your husband is deported, I'm sure, absolutely sure that he won't come back before 2021.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so thanks in advance for any information you can provide. My husband is here illegal from Mexico. He has been here for ten years and we have been married for almost seven and have two kids age six and four. When he came here he entered without inspection. We have filed his I130 and are now ready to file the I824 to have his case moved to Ciudad Juarez and pay the 340 dollars to do that. Our understanding is that next he will receive a request for more documents. WHat will they request? How much more money will we have to send? After that we were told that then he would have to go to Ciudad Juarez to finish the process. WHat will have to be done once he is there? Does anyone know an approximate amount of money he will need to have with him? We know he will be denied because he was here illegal but we can file a waiver. How much does it cost to file the waiver? How long will he be in Mexico?

If anyone has been through a similiar situation and can give us some insight we would greatly appreciate it!

you need to get an immigration lawyer, you may want to go to immigrate2us.net this forum is intended for cases like yours. i believe you need to prepare waivers like I-601 and I-212, that's why you need a lawyer expert in preparing these. it's not an easy process and quite costly too but there's nothing you can do to be with your love ones. just be patient and good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't give advice that is only designed to scare the ####### out of her.

YES she needs to talk to an attorney. . .

NO he cannot Adjust status without leaving (but she already knew that)

NO she doesn't have to be "in a wheelchair unable to move" to get an approved waiver, in fact, Mexico is one of the easiest (and fastest) consulates to get a waiver from

YES she probably does need the I-824, but only if the I-130 is old and hasn't been worked with in a while. If it was just recently approved, it will automatically go to the NVC, as long as you noted that he was not applying for AOS. If it was recently approved and correctly filed, it will AUTOMATICALLY go to the NVC and to CDJ.

www.immigrate2us.net is the best place for information about waivers, espcially waivers going through Mexico. There is a ton of information on how to get a waiver appt, how to prepare the package, and recommendations on attorneys who have a lot of experience with I-601 waivers. You will need to figure out if he is eligible for a waiver before he leaves the country, don't do have him leave until you know for sure. 601's in Mexico have the chance to be approved in under a week, and it is the only country where that is possible.

Edited by emt103c

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
If you don't know what you're talking about, don't give advice that is only designed to scare the ####### out of her.
emt, gracias for standing up against someone who obviously had "diarrhea of the keyboard."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.