Iml3g3nd

Things You dun Like abt America, YET?

99 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline
So I'm guessing that you never complain about anything in the US? lol

LOL !!! No it`s not that but even when I am complaining I know in my heart that I would not live anywhere else but here. Take pride in the sense of belonging I have for this country, with all its many pros and few cons. :-) By the way, my parents are Canadian too. ( So I guess I wont take anything against Canada either :whistle: LOL )

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And I was just saying yesterday that cable & satellite TV is the biggest rip off in our American culture :blink: as those companies do make a killing off us.

I think it has to do with network programing and the money it cost to have those cable channels. Compare American programing to India's programing. They use a lot more writers for each show and they have big production and high budget shows so I believe thats why TV programing is more expensive here than other countries.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm living here for about 6 months now and compared to Germany there are a lot of things I REALLY don't like about this country. There are minor things like very slow and not-so-educated bank teller ("Is Germany a country ?", I am not kidding, a bank teller actually asked me that question) or clerks ("Is the EU a country and where is Germany located ?") or people being obsessed with their trucks or SUVs. Or having up to 6 commercial breaks for a TV show that only lasts an hour.

But there are also very major things that really get to me. I used to have all around health care (which included dental insurance as well) for a fraction of the prices they charge here for very basic and crappy health care plans. I was literally shocked when my wife told me that the biggest reason of personal/family bankrupts in the USA is because of medical bills after major accidents. That's just plain wrong. And not just the health care in this country is scaring me (scaring is the fitting word here), the way unemployment help is handled also does. Basically anyone in Germany can get some sort of social help to cover the absolute basic costs for living and that includes cover for a cheap apartment and just enough money to buy cheap food on a monthly basis. All you have to do in return is actively seek employment, otherwise you would lose that financial aid. Here in the United States it is far more uncertain if you are even eligible for unemployment money. I could go on and on.

And yes, people in Germany pay the huge 19% sales tax (or 9% for food and similar things) and about $7.25 for a single gallon of gas (and people here are complaining about prices of $2.50 - $3 per gallon already), but the thing is, they (more or less) pay it happily because they know they get A LOT in return (health care and social security being only parts of it). Here in the United States it is just different from state to state and by far not as calming as I like it to be. I think that the different states are granted too much freedom and independence when it comes to major social topics like the ones I mentioned. There should be federal laws and guidelines for a LOT of things in my opinion. But rewriting the documents that define the USA is not exactly that simple, which is a pity. Oh well. It makes the USA look kinda backwards and lagging behind other countries for the century we live in.

Another thing that REALLY REALLY annoys me is how incredibly redundant, expensive and long the US immigration process is. It could be SO much simpler and faster without losing the focus on who you grant visas and US citizenship. Oh well, that is something we all have to live with.

Now I wrote way more than I wanted to. Don't get me wrong folks, there are lots of great things about this country as well.

Anyways, flame away now :P

Ok I have many things I appreciate about American but since this post is about the things DO NOT LIKE, here are some:

1. Winter - Snow is beautiful but I hate the cold weather. I don't like it (period)

2. No fresh fish (here in Missouri) Filipinos always appreciate fresh fish in the market (some fish are even sell alive) so seeing those fish in a freezer that I don't know how long it's been there just make me wanna puke. (sorry that's just me) I know most of Americans will puke too if they see fish at the store with head and tails (just like my husband lol).

3. Public transportation is very minimal...sometimes it takes an hour to wait for a bus. Now i appreciate the noisy and over populated public utility jeepneys in the Phils. lol

So far that's the only major things I do not appreciate about living here...the rest is all good. I realized that the more I hate this place the harder it is for me to adjust and settle here, so I am trying to learn to love this country since this is the place where my husband was born...and I know this country means a lot to him...so I will respect that...as I want him to respect my country too :)

ZlYHm6.png

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

I would just like to point out the OP said he had only been here 10 days. Most of the things he mentioned are the same things that stress Americans out every time they move anyway. Think about it.....he's just like everyone else in this world....

We move...and the cable/phone/internet install fees and prices are different than what we paid before. Then there is no ...whatever your favorite food is.... where you moved to. Next thing you know the idiot drivers don't know what they are doing...where did they get their license...who let them pass their drivers test....

I'm sure you all get the idea. (well, hopefully). Actually most of us would probably say the same kinds of things if we were just on vacation somewhere. I've moved a lot in my life and I didn't see anything in his post I haven't said the same or very similar to myself and that's just moving from state to state. I'm a natural born USC and there are things about America that piss me off too. That IS what makes this country great. People get pissed, they start fussing and things get changed to make the country better. How do you know he won't join some group and help get those excessive cable rates lowered? Or since bread is a hot topic lately, maybe he'll start up his own bakery and remedy the situation for many people who crave sugarless bread. Just saying.....

Edited by ms_jinga_lala

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
Hey

it has been about 10 days since im in USA and i already have list of things i dun like...although i guess over the time i would start liking them or i dun know maybe it won`t matter anymore...

so everyone else who is new or old to America can share what they dislike here so far!

Here is my list

1) I hate Wireless providers i mean buying a Blackberry is such a hassel as you gotta subscribe to a $30 monthly data plan + 2 yr contract and still pay some $$ for phone itself... where i come from.. you just buy phone at a price , and yeah data plans are so cheaper than here in usa.

welcome to verizon...

2) Getting a Dish on tv .. again they rip you off with some promotinal plans and long term contracts...\\

i go with cablevision...not too bad...

3) Computers at banks are so slow... and so are people working there

ahhh...welcome to my hell !!!!

4) Social security offices need bigger buildings

and smarter people working for them !!!

5) Yes ! Even if i have been driving for more than 10 years in my home country ... still here im considered a new inexperienced driver in USA and asked to pay big sum for my insurance...

thats for YOUR safety...

6) Could not find a Good Bread

i found that after i turned 40, there isn't ANY good bread...

7) No matter what deal you make in end the service and bill you get would always be a little different.

welcome to VERIZON....

8) and I hate that there is something called Pay per view.... i wish it was like back home... you get a channel subscribed for a sum for a year.. then wotever rights to broadcast that channel had... you could watch without paying anyting extra!@

i'm stealing my neighbors cable so i can't comment on this....J/K....lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I just really hate the bread! Oh, I also can't stand the amount of commercials on TV, especially drug ones that list a zillion side affects. Apart from that, I pretty much love it here and married life is awesome.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

A bit of comments, not ranting at you ;)

Hey

it has been about 10 days since im in USA and i already have list of things i dun like...although i guess over the time i would start liking them or i dun know maybe it won`t matter anymore...

so everyone else who is new or old to America can share what they dislike here so far!

Here is my list

1) I hate Wireless providers i mean buying a Blackberry is such a hassel as you gotta subscribe to a $30 monthly data plan + 2 yr contract and still pay some $$ for phone itself... where i come from.. you just buy phone at a price , and yeah data plans are so cheaper than here in usa.

buy used HTC 6800 / Sprint Mogul - flash it to Cricket, then get service from Cricket

2) Getting a Dish on tv .. again they rip you off with some promotinal plans and long term contracts...\\

why do that? get a FTA system instead - get all the tv programs you want from back home

3) Computers at banks are so slow... and so are people working there

do everything with banks online and via atm. you need to go to bank, ONCE, to get stuff done for an account, and thats it

4) Social security offices need bigger buildings

naaaaaaaaaaah

5) Yes ! Even if i have been driving for more than 10 years in my home country ... still here im considered a new inexperienced driver in USA and asked to pay big sum for my insurance...

buy used volvo, 740 or 240, pay only liability on it. upgrade after the 2nd year. do not go on your wife's insurance till after that time.

6) Could not find a Good Bread

you have not finished looking - please don't be lazy for this - it's so important, you decided to put it into a list

7) No matter what deal you make in end the service and bill you get would always be a little different.

bargaining here is not like bargaining there. EVER.. want a better deal? learn WHERE to shop

8) and I hate that there is something called Pay per view.... i wish it was like back home... you get a channel subscribed for a sum for a year.. then wotever rights to broadcast that channel had... you could watch without paying anyting extra!@ give that up, for now - you'll change yer viewing habits once you get the FTA sat system installed

Welcome to the USA !! Don't forget to find your 'local culture' in your area - those are new friends for you, can help you find what you need, quickly.

Good Luck !

I just really hate the bread!

I challenge you , to find the bread you want, in your town. Even written up another post about it, in your other thread ;)

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
(see the bread topic) but there are also some good alternatives.
Uh, "let them eat cake," si man?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
the different states are granted too much freedom and independence when it comes to major social topics like the ones I mentioned.
Excuse me, please, si man? This country was founded precisely because there was NOT enough "freedom and independence." And, please be reminded of what "USA" stands for: United States of America.
There should be federal laws and guidelines for a LOT of things in my opinion.
There should be the repeal of Federal laws and guidelines for a LOT of things, in a LOT of people's opinions. The "Scott heard 'round the world" in Massachusetts may be just a beginning flicker of the second American revolution.
But rewriting the documents that define the USA is not exactly that simple
For good reason -- read the well-reasoned rationales of the Founding Fathers.
which is a pity.
It's a pity indeed that so few people are aware of the Tenth Amendment in the Bill of Rights ("what's that?").
Oh well.
It would be "well" to read, understand, and reflect upon the U.S. Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and particularly the Federalist Papers. Then, the reasoning behind the existence and system of the United States of America -- and the even greater importance of "We the People" -- may become clearer. Please do that and then get back to us, si man.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I don't like the TV commercials in the U.S. "Call 1-800..."

I have no other complaints aside from that because Santa Monica is really a pleasant place to live in.

The best part about being here is having my husband.

FAE :luv:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Timeline
Excuse me, please, si man? This country was founded precisely because there was NOT enough "freedom and independence." And, please be reminded of what "USA" stands for: United States of America.There should be the repeal of Federal laws and guidelines for a LOT of things, in a LOT of people's opinions. The "Scott heard 'round the world" in Massachusetts may be just a beginning flicker of the second American revolution.For good reason -- read the well-reasoned rationales of the Founding Fathers.It's a pity indeed that so few people are aware of the Tenth Amendment in the Bill of Rights ("what's that?").It would be "well" to read, understand, and reflect upon the U.S. Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and particularly the Federalist Papers. Then, the reasoning behind the existence and system of the United States of America -- and the even greater importance of "We the People" -- may become clearer. Please do that and then get back to us, si man.

i think i might have missed a post...or two here...uhhh...uhhh...ok...si man...????

Timeline
i think i might have missed a post...or two here...uhhh...uhhh...ok...si man...????
Sorry for your loss. The complete post #25 (original quoted statements plus responses) arose from post #18, si man. If that doesn't clear things up, eat some lousy American bread, si man. :)

Timeline
Sorry for your loss. The complete post #25 (original quoted statements plus responses) arose from post #18, si man. If that doesn't clear things up, eat some lousy American bread, si man. :)

i absolutley appologize TBoneTX....just fully read post #18 and am completely offended shocked and outraged by what i read....i have alot to say to you my friend in post #18...only of which would get me banned from here...............................!!!!!!!

Timeline
I'm living here for about 6 months now and compared to Germany there are a lot of things I REALLY don't like about this country. There are minor things like very slow and not-so-educated bank teller ("Is Germany a country ?", I am not kidding, a bank teller actually asked me that question) or clerks ("Is the EU a country and where is Germany located ?") or people being obsessed with their trucks or SUVs. Or having up to 6 commercial breaks for a TV show that only lasts an hour.

But there are also very major things that really get to me. I used to have all around health care (which included dental insurance as well) for a fraction of the prices they charge here for very basic and crappy health care plans. I was literally shocked when my wife told me that the biggest reason of personal/family bankrupts in the USA is because of medical bills after major accidents. That's just plain wrong. And not just the health care in this country is scaring me (scaring is the fitting word here), the way unemployment help is handled also does. Basically anyone in Germany can get some sort of social help to cover the absolute basic costs for living and that includes cover for a cheap apartment and just enough money to buy cheap food on a monthly basis. All you have to do in return is actively seek employment, otherwise you would lose that financial aid. Here in the United States it is far more uncertain if you are even eligible for unemployment money. I could go on and on.

And yes, people in Germany pay the huge 19% sales tax (or 9% for food and similar things) and about $7.25 for a single gallon of gas (and people here are complaining about prices of $2.50 - $3 per gallon already), but the thing is, they (more or less) pay it happily because they know they get A LOT in return (health care and social security being only parts of it). Here in the United States it is just different from state to state and by far not as calming as I like it to be. I think that the different states are granted too much freedom and independence when it comes to major social topics like the ones I mentioned. There should be federal laws and guidelines for a LOT of things in my opinion. But rewriting the documents that define the USA is not exactly that simple, which is a pity. Oh well. It makes the USA look kinda backwards and lagging behind other countries for the century we live in.

Another thing that REALLY REALLY annoys me is how incredibly redundant, expensive and long the US immigration process is. It could be SO much simpler and faster without losing the focus on who you grant visas and US citizenship. Oh well, that is something we all have to live with.

Now I wrote way more than I wanted to. Don't get me wrong folks, there are lots of great things about this country as well.

Anyways, flame away now :P

obviously anyone can post their thoughts...stupid

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.