Iml3g3nd

Things You dun Like abt America, YET?

99 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hey

it has been about 10 days since im in USA and i already have list of things i dun like...although i guess over the time i would start liking them or i dun know maybe it won`t matter anymore...

so everyone else who is new or old to America can share what they dislike here so far!

Here is my list

1) I hate Wireless providers i mean buying a Blackberry is such a hassel as you gotta subscribe to a $30 monthly data plan + 2 yr contract and still pay some $$ for phone itself... where i come from.. you just buy phone at a price , and yeah data plans are so cheaper than here in usa.

2) Getting a Dish on tv .. again they rip you off with some promotinal plans and long term contracts...\\

3) Computers at banks are so slow... and so are people working there

4) Social security offices need bigger buildings

5) Yes ! Even if i have been driving for more than 10 years in my home country ... still here im considered a new inexperienced driver in USA and asked to pay big sum for my insurance...

6) Could not find a Good Bread

7) No matter what deal you make in end the service and bill you get would always be a little different.

8) and I hate that there is something called Pay per view.... i wish it was like back home... you get a channel subscribed for a sum for a year.. then wotever rights to broadcast that channel had... you could watch without paying anyting extra!@

IR-1/CR-1

2008-12-24 - Marriage
2009-03-12 - I-130 Approved
2009-05-29 - Pay IV Bill
2009-09-30 - Case Completed at NVC
2009-10-14 - Packet 4 Received
2009-11-16 - Interview Date

Interview Result - Approved
2010-01-09 - US Entry
Port of Entry - JFK

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office - Vermont Service Center
Date Filed - 2011-10-08
Date Approved - 2012-07-30
Green card received - 2012-08-01

Citizenship

N400 filled - 2013-08-09
NOA - 2013-08-12
Biometrics -2013-09-05

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hey

it has been about 10 days since im in USA and i already have list of things i dun like...although i guess over the time i would start liking them or i dun know maybe it won`t matter anymore...

so everyone else who is new or old to America can share what they dislike here so far!

Here is my list

1) I hate Wireless providers i mean buying a Blackberry is such a hassel as you gotta subscribe to a $30 monthly data plan + 2 yr contract and still pay some $$ for phone itself... where i come from.. you just buy phone at a price , and yeah data plans are so cheaper than here in usa.

You have to get into the habit of not converting every priced item from dollar to rupees. Will make you life so much easier

2) Getting a Dish on tv .. again they rip you off with some promotinal plans and long term contracts...\\

At least you dont have to watch Saas Bahu dramas no more

At least there are no power outages. You might have found people to be slow ... I would call that a teller trying to make sure whoever he or she is assisting has been helped in whatever he or she needs to get done. at least they welcome you with a smile and actually ask you How they can be of assistance to you.

How did you like the experience of getting your work done at a government office without having to pay any bribes or dropping names of important people you know!!!!

5) Yes ! Even if i have been driving for more than 10 years in my home country ... still here im considered a new inexperienced driver in USA and asked to pay big sum for my insurance...

YES you are inexperienced. We come from a country where the only rule of the road I have seen is that MIGHT IS RIGHT. Well .... there are rules in India , but so many things are different here. Ever heard of Pedestrians have the right of way before anyone. Try and recall how many times you said "Marna hai kya???" to someone.

Can`t dispute this one. Only thing I can say is you will develop a taste for the stuff we have here.

7) No matter what deal you make in end the service and bill you get would always be a little different.

When you are quoted a price on anything usually it is before tax, so that`s one thing and only one thing that you shud see on your bill as an "extra". If you see anything else .... call them and ask why you were not told abt it before.

8) and I hate that there is something called Pay per view.... i wish it was like back home... you get a channel subscribed for a sum for a year.. then wotever rights to broadcast that channel had... you could watch without paying anyting extra!@

To sum it up buddy, "you" made a choice to come over here to this country and make it your new home. Stop Complaining :-)

Filed: Timeline
after living here for almost 5 years the only real thing I hate about America is that my family lives so far away :(

That's so true, Marilyn. (F)

It's not unusual to not like change. Go ahead and gripe about it for a little bit. It helps ease the mourning of what you've left. But don't get hung up on it. We're in a different country so obviously everything is going to be different from what we're used to. Start looking for the nice things you like about America. It helps you to adjust and settle in. :)

iagree.gif

There are pro`s and Cons to everything but dont come here and start complaining how it was much better in the country you come from. Just trying to make him appreciate that. :-)

Your spouse is going to have an extremely difficult time if you're not able to be supportive. Moving countries is very traumatic. What seems like complaining to the US citizen is actually a mourning process for the immigrant. If you don't allow them time to grieve their loss they are not going to appreciate anything.

iagree.gif

Hey

Here is my list

1) I hate Wireless providers i mean buying a Blackberry is such a hassel as you gotta subscribe to a $30 monthly data plan + 2 yr contract and still pay some $ for phone itself... where i come from.. you just buy phone at a price , and yeah data plans are so cheaper than here in usa.

If you go to Walmart you can get a pre-paid phone with minutes, messages and email for $30 a month. Since you have been here only 10 days you have another 5 if you want to get out of your contract without paying.

Call the customer service and ask what's the best deal they can do for you. Have competitor's offers ready and tell them you're considering switching to a cheaper provider - they may lower the price or give you a special.

You'll get used to that.

You're talking about federal government buildings - they are what they are...

Get a quote from USAA insurance - they're originally for military members but non-military can also use them. A LOT cheaper than GEICO and they accepted my foreign driving experience without any issue. Wish we found them earlier.

They don't know what good bread is - check out the thread about that.

SInce the taxes are not included. I have an issue with that too but I love it when I'm in NH - no sales tax - price stays the same at the checkout counter...

I hear y'a.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
Your spouse is going to have an extremely difficult time if you're not able to be supportive. Moving countries is very traumatic. What seems like complaining to the US citizen is actually a mourning process for the immigrant. If you don't allow them time to grieve their loss they are not going to appreciate anything.

I understand what you are saying. From my perspective , all the OP`s comments are at the risk of almost being insulting to any US citizen, especially coming from someone who made a choice to come and live here and instead of appreciating the good things , is trying to find the negatives and actually inviting other people to do the same.

No offense to the OP or anyone else.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

I understand what you are saying. From my perspective , all the OP`s comments are at the risk of almost being insulting to any US citizen, especially coming from someone who made a choice to come and live here and instead of appreciating the good things , is trying to find the negatives and actually inviting other people to do the same.

You're going to need a thick skin, then. Because your spouse is going to vent. :( You may want to do it in a more supportive manner. (Hope this isn't coming across as rude.)

iagree.gif

Timeline
You're going to need a thick skin, then. Because your spouse is going to vent. :( You may want to do it in a more supportive manner. (Hope this isn't coming across as rude.)

Hey Krikit, As I said before I do UNDERSTAND the whole, what you call, the mourning process. My issue is just that dont come out and say just bad things about the way things work over here. I am sure that having noticed all these things the OP didn`t like ,he must have seen atleast some that he liked???!!!!!!!

The only things I hate about America are political.

I have some things that I need to get used to, like the lack of public transport. And I have gripes with the food (see the bread topic) but there are also some good alternatives.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thats what's so great about the US, we have freedom of speech to complain about stuff if we want without fear of punishment. :lol: Imagine putting your complaints out there if you live in a country like Iran where some are afraid to voice things they don't like? And I was just saying yesterday that cable & satellite TV is the biggest rip off in our American culture :blink: as those companies do make a killing off us.

I think in any culture we can find things to love and things to complain about, its human nature. Besides, complaining makes us feel better sometimes... LOL :rolleyes: And yes, we do have the worst food sometimes in our markets. On the other side I'm thankful for no load shedding here, ice cubes for ice cold drinks in hot weather, somewhat organized traffic patterns, and air conditioning :D And don't we love to go to the movie theatres (without having stuff cut out too much)??!! :yes:

~Kristie

PS. Yessss computers at banks are slow as #######!!!!! I know cause I work at one HA HA. (have acct number ready for faster service also-its not always our fault) :thumbs:

Hey Krikit, As I said before I do UNDERSTAND the whole, what you call, the mourning process. My issue is just that dont come out and say just bad things about the way things work over here. I am sure that having noticed all these things the OP didn`t like ,he must have seen atleast some that he liked???!!!!!!!

So I'm guessing that you never complain about anything in the US? lol

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.