11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all visa members, Just have a few questions regarding the I-485 . We are in Nevada so we are sending this package to Chicago, IL 60603-5520 is this right ? Is this were they all go ? Also... will it be sent to the California service center at a later time ? Just want to make sure we send it to the right place. 2nd question is what happens if we move out of this state after we send this package is that a bad idea ??? Can we interview somewhere else?? Drop us a line if you might be able to direct us in the right direction. Thanks

2010.pngMake a pregnancy ticker

" MARRIED"

Thanks be to god

49893.gif

Timeline
Hello all visa members, Just have a few questions regarding the I-485 . We are in Nevada so we are sending this package to Chicago, IL 60603-5520 is this right ? Is this were they all go ? Also... will it be sent to the California service center at a later time ? Just want to make sure we send it to the right place. 2nd question is what happens if we move out of this state after we send this package is that a bad idea ??? Can we interview somewhere else?? Drop us a line if you might be able to direct us in the right direction. Thanks

On page 6, Item 4 lists your category (K1). The correct address for your AOS is below that. If you move, changing your address with the USCIS is easy to do.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Extend my regards to Teen. I hope she has fully recovered.

Most cases that get transferred to CSC don't require any interview. The greencard just shows up in the mailbox.

You can always notify the USCIS for change of address.

Send the AOS package to:

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For courier/express delivery:

USCIS

Attn: AOS

131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5520

Hakuna matata.

God bless us all.

FAE :luv:

Edited by Arbind.Ariadne
17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On page 6, Item 4 lists your category (K1). The correct address for your AOS is below that. If you move, changing your address with the USCIS is easy to do.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Actually, moving during the AOS process is terribly problematic. USCIS is notorious for failing to follow through on address changes during the AOS process. We used an "in care of" address to avoid these problems. Moving out of State is far worse. The normal consequence is you miss the notice of an interview appointment and they deem the AOS abandoned and deny it.

Avoid changing your address during the AOS process at almost any cost.

Why is this in the K1 forum? There's a special forum for AOS.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Moved - as requested.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Actually, moving during the AOS process is terribly problematic. USCIS is notorious for failing to follow through on address changes during the AOS process. We used an "in care of" address to avoid these problems. Moving out of State is far worse. The normal consequence is you miss the notice of an interview appointment and they deem the AOS abandoned and deny it.

This is one good info about changing addresses. The USCIS makes it sound easy about notifying them on the change of residence.

Anyway, somebody will move this thread soon.

Moved - as requested.

Quick enough!

Bobby+Umit, you've got it again.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
The USCIS makes it sound easy about notifying them on the change of residence.

A very talented and famous sculpturing artist is asked if it's difficult to sculpture a gigantic lion out of a block of marble. "Not in the least," he answers, "it's quite easy. You just take a huge block of marble and chisel out everything that doesn't look like a lion!"

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is a bit pessimistic. I've also never heard of "IN care of" so I assume you mean "care of" which is the postal term for "via".

Basically if you want to move there is a process, but it is recommended that you contact USCIS roughly a fortnight (2 weeks) after mailing your change of address and confirming the address they have on record. If you have proof of change of address (so keep the mail receipt and copy of the form) if they DO deny it based on being unable to contact you, you have proof. If you have an active case you should change your address online AND by sending a paper form.

You should also set up mail forwarding. While government mail such as USCIS mail doesn't get forwarded, it will make sure that the post office returns it to sender because we all know that not all new tenants return mail so that makes that safe. If you register for online updates when the mail is returned to sender it will update to tell you so and ask that you contact them with your change of address. If they stuffed up and HAVE your address, when they get the letter back they will resend to the correct address.

Though the above poster was a bit negative, he is correct in that if possible, avoiding moving during the process, but we also know that it's not always possible to do that. As i will be moving states in march, and plan on applying for AOS before then, i will be changing states. I do not wish to do a "care of " address because biometrics will need to be in the state I'm living in, and setting my "care of" via the new state "just in case" seems stupid as it's so far away (Iowa as opposed to Texas where we are now). So we will do exactly as I've posted above to make 100000% sure we're okay and getting our mail.

Good luck :)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
This is a bit pessimistic.

Call it pessimistic if you like. Based on my personal knowledge of the nightmares of USCIS failure to not address changes, I call it "realistic".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've seen lots of people on this site, even in just the year or so I've been here, have serious issues with changing their address during the AOS process. Even if it can be made to work with sufficient diligence, it's just too big a headache and too unnecessary a risk to take unless you have absolutely no other option. Once you've finished AOS, then you can move, file your change-of-address, and not worry about it too much, at least until ROC time rolls around. But if you can avoid moving while you have an application pending at USCIS (I-129, AOS, ROC, or N-400), it is wise to do so.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Thanks again for all the good advice here. :thumbs: much appreciated . I guess im stuck in vegas for at least four more months. At least im not shoveling snow.

2010.pngMake a pregnancy ticker

" MARRIED"

Thanks be to god

49893.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.