alexisgross

Recommendation for attorney for I-751?

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. And thank you for all the info you all post on here. It's so helpful.

We are looking for anyone's opinion on attorney's for filing the I-751. I know most of you don't seem to hire one, but my brother has offered to pay for it so we're taking him up on it. Who is considered to be the best, or one of the best, for this type of filing?

My husband was born in Mexico and required a I-601 waiver(he entered the US at 2 years old), which was successful. We don't know if an I-601 would factor into the ease of getting a quick approval for the I-751, or make it more difficult.

We're young (23 and 24), no kids, have joint bank accounts, car title in both names, car insurance, lease agreement, credit cards and utilities...but not too much else. Anyway, we're just a little nervous about the whole thing.

Thank you for your responses!

AG

Hello everyone. And thank you for all the info you all post on here. It's so helpful.

We are looking for anyone's opinion on attorney's for filing the I-751. I know most of you don't seem to hire one, but my brother has offered to pay for it so we're taking him up on it. Who is considered to be the best, or one of the best, for this type of filing?

My husband was born in Mexico and required a I-601 waiver(he entered the US at 2 years old), which was successful. We don't know if an I-601 would factor into the ease of getting a quick approval for the I-751, or make it more difficult.

We're young (23 and 24), no kids, have joint bank accounts, car title in both names, car insurance, lease agreement, credit cards and utilities...but not too much else. Anyway, we're just a little nervous about the whole thing.

AG

Most people here including myself didn't hire a lawyer and was approved. If your case is straightforward, I believe you can 'do-it-yourself'. Read the guides. Good luck on filing. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

AG

I-601 has been dealt with, approved and in the past... I would not expect this issue to be a stumbling block....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Even if you wanted to use a lawyer you would still be doing 90% of the work. You need to gather up all of the evidence from your records as the lawyer wouldn't have access to that. All the lawyer would really do is fill out the form and organize your evidence - something that you can probably do just as easily and a lot cheaper.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I agree with Kathryn. I spent $37.47 to send in my I751 includin the USPS shipping fee in addition to the $545 for the application. The lawyer I know wanted $1500 as her fees for the I751. The math was pretty simple for me considering I was going to do the bulk of the work. It was a easy decision. :D

MB

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have to agree with everyone else, it's a simple thing to complete the forms and you will have to assemble all the evidence no matter who completes the forms.. The waiver was granted, done deal.

Save the money and DIY.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

AG

I was thinking along the same line as you until I saw the form needed for I-751. I thought I will cry if I have to give a penny to anybody to fill out 2 pages asking simple questions about my wife and I. The onlything a lawyer will do is ask you the same questions then write down the answers on the form. That's it. Oh plus you have to pay for that. I say gather the things the guidelines suggest, make copies, arrange them, add the fee and mail it. A lawyer will charge you more than it cost to remove the conditions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

My wife and I searched through a ton of local attorneys even though our case was very straight forward and we honestly didn't need one. We chose one for peace of mind, so to speak, and ended up paying an additional $500 for her representation. As it turns out, after our initial consultation with her, she was straight forward and said she'd feel bad taking our money. My wife and I, while very fortunate financially speaking, had set up a fund after she received her initial GC for the purposes of paying attorney fees for the 751. We used this and hired her anyway.

Our attorney turns out to be an immigrant herself from Russia. She's one of the sweetest ladies we've ever met, not to mention that she knows her stuff VERY well. While reviewing our paperwork, she saw a picture of me in my old DHS uniform (LOL!!!) and commented (jokingly) that she'd have to cross all her t's and dot all of her i's. This wasn't even necessary.

Honestly, our AOS attorney experience was horrible and not worth a single penny. We feel much better about our ROC choice. Our attorney has also helped us obtain translations for foreign language documents for free (we don't have any local friends who speak French). While we ended up paying more money then we needed to, the experience this time has been generally positive.

My suggestion: If you've got someone willing to pay for your use of an attorney, and you are set on doing so, educate yourself on the process and the law so that when you sit down with the attorney you'll know whether or not this person is worth the fees s/he is charging you. Make an educated decision based on the variables in your specific situation, not on what other people from VJ tell you.

Our AOS Timeline

06/16/07 -- Our Wedding

06/26/07 -- AOS sent by attorney

07/02/07 -- Receipt of Documents by USCIS

08/01/07 -- Biometrics Completed

08/05/07 -- "Touched"

09/07/07 -- EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/08 -- AOS Interview - APPROVED!! [Verbally]

02/06/08 -- Welcome EMail Received

02/11/08 -- Card Production Ordered

02/19/08 -- Card Received!

Our ROC Timeline

11/05/09 -- Initial meeting with attorney to file Removal of Conditions

11/11/09 -- ROC sent by attorney

01/05/10 -- Biometrics Completed

02/16/10 -- Approval

Citizenship

06/13/11 -- N-400 sent by attorney.

06/24/11 -- NOA

07/15/11 -- Biometrics Completed

08/25/11 -- Interview APPROVED

08/31/11 -- Oath Taken! Now a US Citizen!

Passport

09/06/11 -- Passport Application submitted.

09/21/11 -- Passport Book Received!

09/23/11 -- Passport Card and Certificate of Naturalization received.

09/25/11 -- Life after USCIS begins.

av-37579.gif

Be me a little...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

....and be careful, because bad lawyer can screw up even a perfectly straightforward case!

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
....and be careful, because bad lawyer can screw up even a perfectly straightforward case!

What Rika said!!!

Our AOS Timeline

06/16/07 -- Our Wedding

06/26/07 -- AOS sent by attorney

07/02/07 -- Receipt of Documents by USCIS

08/01/07 -- Biometrics Completed

08/05/07 -- "Touched"

09/07/07 -- EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/08 -- AOS Interview - APPROVED!! [Verbally]

02/06/08 -- Welcome EMail Received

02/11/08 -- Card Production Ordered

02/19/08 -- Card Received!

Our ROC Timeline

11/05/09 -- Initial meeting with attorney to file Removal of Conditions

11/11/09 -- ROC sent by attorney

01/05/10 -- Biometrics Completed

02/16/10 -- Approval

Citizenship

06/13/11 -- N-400 sent by attorney.

06/24/11 -- NOA

07/15/11 -- Biometrics Completed

08/25/11 -- Interview APPROVED

08/31/11 -- Oath Taken! Now a US Citizen!

Passport

09/06/11 -- Passport Application submitted.

09/21/11 -- Passport Book Received!

09/23/11 -- Passport Card and Certificate of Naturalization received.

09/25/11 -- Life after USCIS begins.

av-37579.gif

Be me a little...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

I was thinking about it, as I had an attorney for the intial AOS process and I felt it gave me great peace of mind. I did call my attorney for the ROC and he said, "Frankly, you didn't need me. Just get your papers together from the past two years and fill out the application."

Luckily, when he was our attorney during the AOS he was brilliant and very helpful. I never regretted having hired him, even for $2500. After we got the 2-year temporary greencard, he strong cautioned that 'it wasn't over yet' and urged us to keep every shred of evidence that showed our marriage over the next 2 years. So, I did. I also would call him up sometimes during this ROC and he offered free advice, which is rare for an attorney to do (on top of telling me not to hire him!) Ultimately, I sent in a very chunky 4lb packet to UCIS. And I guess it worked!

*10/6/09 - sent I-751, priority mail and signature upon receipt....biting nails (when will NOA arrive?)

*10/8/09 - packet received at USCIS 10:22am

*11/5/09 - biometrics

*11/19/09 - email from USCIS stating approval!!!!!!

11/27/09 - Green card arrived in mail! wow, it's *over*!

3/15/12 - sent N-400 packet

3/21/12 - packet received at USCIS

5/8/12 - biometrics

6/14/12 - Interview Date!

6/14/2012 - Approved! Oath Ceremony completed!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.