Captain Ewok

Deputy Mods on VJ: Moderation Structure

158 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

In an attempt to improve the way we moderate on VJ I would like to role out a trial program where we will have several "Deputy" moderators on VJ. Their duties will be very similar to regular mods except they will focus on specific parts of the site. Their moderation abilities will allow them to deal with most daily moderation tasks with the exception that they may not suspend or ban other members. If this is required, the Deputy can escalate a known issue to a Global Moderator to address.

Deputy and Other Member Mod Roles defined:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Forums_Moderation

The reasons I think this will be useful are:

--o Lowers the work load on the Global Moderators so they can focus on more serious systemic issues on the site

--o Allows for a person more familiar with a set of forums to watch out and hopefully resolve problems before they get bigger

--o Improves the response time for moderation on the whole

--o Is a good "middle ground" position that can address most issues that pop up on the site on a day to day basis

Reasons it may be bad:

--o Confuses members with too many mods

--o Deputies may find it frustrating to solve certain problems if they can not suspend members without calling in a Global Moderator (although this was intentional and not designed to "take away" from the Deputy title)

At this time "Charles!" has stepped in to be the first deputy moderator of the Regional Forums. I would like to staff people in the following remaining areas:

> Family & Marriage Based Immigration (K1, K3, IR1, etc) to the USA

> Immigration Discussion for US Visa Holders and Permanent Residents

> USCIS and Dept of State Offices

> General Discussion Area

> Regional Discussion already filled

Thoughts?

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Are you going to pull the regional section out of the general section? I don't see how there could be too many mods unless people start stepping on each others toes.

I would have done this in the past however it does fit in the category above it and I am concerned with making the main forums screen "too long" to scroll down.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Timeline
Are you going to pull the regional section out of the general section? I don't see how there could be too many mods unless people start stepping on each others toes.

I would have done this in the past however it does fit in the category above it and I am concerned with making the main forums screen "too long" to scroll down.

I wouldn't worry about the UI issue. The mods will know who is regoinal and who is general, if the mods get that confused then maybe they shouldn't be mods :)

May I suggest madame cleo for deputy mod of the general? I remember your "guidelines" and she meets them to a tee. I'd probably end up hating her but that's ok.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

I wouldn't worry about the UI issue. The mods will know who is regoinal and who is general, if the mods get that confused then maybe they shouldn't be mods :)

May I suggest madame cleo for deputy mod of the general? I remember your "guidelines" and she meets them to a tee. I'd probably end up hating her but that's ok.

Which "guidelines"? In any case, I would like to pick good people. Having a "title" or "role" is not really what this is about. All these roles take work and time that people graciously donate to the site. I hope we can give mods a chance to "do good". If they feel like they are unable to fulfill the role for any reason then like many times in the past (and future) we rotate in new folks to help out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Sounds like a good idea. I don't think there will be too many mods if you only hire one or two deputies for each section, and most members will rarely encounter a mod in his/ her duties anyway. And I don't think the deputy mods will be frustrated; I am a mod on a couple of other sites and only deal with the day-to-day stuff there, if something is so serious that a member needs suspended, it is common to talk to a supervisor/ owner of the site first anyway, as this is not a step to be taken lightly (other than in the case of spammer-only accounts).

If you are still looking for Family/Marriage based immigration deputy mods, I'd be happy to help out.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I think this has been needed for a long time. Are you and the other moderators currently discussing candidates for the remaining positions?

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Which "guidelines"?

These guidelines.

Members that have been here a long time and have shown respect for other people (on an ongoing basis) and are level headed are critical skills for a moderator.

She's shown people respect on an ongoing basis and she is nothing if not infuriatingly level headed :)

I would like to pick good people. Having a "title" or "role" is not really what this is about. All these roles take work and time that people graciously donate to the site.

I had not implied otherwise, so I'm not sure what the point of that was :)

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

bother bishop is a good man

and sister purple (cleo) is ideal

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

i thinsk sister stina..excellent values and a good person...jut saying

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
These guidelines.

Members that have been here a long time and have shown respect for other people (on an ongoing basis) and are level headed are critical skills for a moderator.

And yet Charles was made a deputy moderator. :wacko: