Peachey

Montreal taking so long

175 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
There should be a hi-I'm-a-newbie-and-full-of-anger forum. lol

Haha, I concur. I'm trying my best not to be rude :P

So Huggles, funny reasons why Montreal is so slow? A bunch of them ate bad poutine and had to take time off (man, i'm bad a jokes)

One of them brought a pet pig to show-and-tell day and now they are all panicking cause they think they have swine flu?

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As someone else has already mentioned we cannot expect that DOS will solve the issue at the Montreal consulate anytime soon. Those institutions are very inert and do not react to changing conditions fast enough. If they did, they wouldn't have allowed the consulate to get understaffed. It's not like 80% employees quit at the same time without notice. Whoever allowed this to happen which I would think is the consul general should face the consequences. We have all the right to be pissed off with people at Montreal and DOS who are in control and didn't do enough. The regular folk working at the consulate cannot be blamed. If it's really true that so many people quit, then they must have done it for good reason (incompetent and indolent management most likely).

Timeline
I imagine it IS really frustrating for them, however, I still think they probably have a cushy job, especially those in administrative positions, and probably aren't worrying about losing their jobs... but that's just me. :lol:

I never thought of it as cushy per se, personally. I guess anyone who works in an office could be labelled as having a cushy job - as I said before, they aren't digging ditches.

I spent many hours at the consulate here in Calgary - those people are working, I didn't see anyone wandering around having chit chat with their neighbour. They are busy, sometimes they are stressed and a little bit grouchy too :lol:

One guy who had my Mom and I take an oath before we signed something practically yelled it out to us to repeat - like "i've said this 10 thousand times".

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've watched our office be cut drastically over the last two years due to the economy. I know that my company expects my department and I to get the same amount of work done, even though we consist of only two people now instead of the previous six. How? The same old cliche they always use - work smarter not harder. Blah. Whatever.

Two things popped to mind while reading this thread. First, as Trailmix said, they must have bad management. I heard rumors of massive turnover in Montreal last February when I started this process. Did they have more people leave or are these the same people? And why did so many leave? If it's the same people we heard about eight months ago and DOS still hasn't solved the problem, that's rather lame. No matter what, it sounds like it's a bad place to work, aka bad management.

Second, who are these people who left? They must be the "behind the scenes" people that we do not see. I say that because I've been reading everyone's reviews for almost a year and when I went for my interview, it was like I already knew the people that were there - the mean lady at the window, the nice guy interviewer who chats like a friend, the nice lady interviewer who is very professional, etc. Those who have been around for a while know that the "up front" employees are still there, so I guess it's the support staff that keeps leaving.

Hang in there guys.

Timeline

So Huggles, funny reasons why Montreal is so slow? A bunch of them ate bad poutine and had to take time off (man, i'm bad a jokes)

One of them brought a pet pig to show-and-tell day and now they are all panicking cause they think they have swine flu?

Oh! Oh!

The ceiling started leaking due to a plumbing accident and destroyed everyone's paperwork?

That wouldn't be that funny would it? :lol:

Timeline

There is no such thing as bad poutine! It's like saying bad Timmies! I miss them both! Miss my wife and kids more, I have never been away from them for soo long and I'm starting to get depressed. I don't think the government has any clue on the affect this has on a family.

----------

Petition for Wife and our 3 kids. IR1 & IR2s

NVC Journey

April 22nd, 2009 - Received NVC Packages for all 4 Petition w/Case Numbers

April 22nd, 2009 - DS-3032 and AOS bill received in package

April 24th, 2009 - DS-3032 sent via email

April 24th, 2009 - AOS bill paid online

May 2009 - DS-3032 accepted

May 2009 - IV Fee Generated

May 26th, 2009 - Paid IV Fee Online

May 27th, 2009 - Shows Paid

May 28th, 2009 - IV Package Sent

June 1st, 2009 - Shows Delivered

June 15th, 2009 - Received RFE? for not submitting AOS

June 18th, 2009 - AOS Package sent

June 22nd, 2009 - Delivered 11:42 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

June 22nd, 2009 - Request for expedite submitted

June 24th, 2009 - Checklist received (AOS package)

July 7th, 2009 - Wife's Case Complete

July 7th, 2009 - RFE for kids cases

July 7th, 2009 - Overnight 864w to NVC for kids cases

July 10th, 2009 - Received package

July 14th, 2009 - NVC automated system show checklist letter received for kids cases

July 21st, 2009 - as per NVC request second email sent requesting expedite of interview

July 24st, 2009 - NVC cases show complete

November 23rd, 2009 - Medicals in Toronto

November 26th, 2009 - Medical packages received

November 2nd, 2009 - Interviews are scheduled for 12/18/2009

December 18th, 2009 - Approved and Visas in Hand

December 21st, 2009 - POE... Windsor/Detroit

Timeline

Has anyone ever figured out what order people get interviews? Do K1, or C1, or I1 get precedent over others, themselves? Is it just first come first serve (by NVC completion date)?

----------

Petition for Wife and our 3 kids. IR1 & IR2s

NVC Journey

April 22nd, 2009 - Received NVC Packages for all 4 Petition w/Case Numbers

April 22nd, 2009 - DS-3032 and AOS bill received in package

April 24th, 2009 - DS-3032 sent via email

April 24th, 2009 - AOS bill paid online

May 2009 - DS-3032 accepted

May 2009 - IV Fee Generated

May 26th, 2009 - Paid IV Fee Online

May 27th, 2009 - Shows Paid

May 28th, 2009 - IV Package Sent

June 1st, 2009 - Shows Delivered

June 15th, 2009 - Received RFE? for not submitting AOS

June 18th, 2009 - AOS Package sent

June 22nd, 2009 - Delivered 11:42 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

June 22nd, 2009 - Request for expedite submitted

June 24th, 2009 - Checklist received (AOS package)

July 7th, 2009 - Wife's Case Complete

July 7th, 2009 - RFE for kids cases

July 7th, 2009 - Overnight 864w to NVC for kids cases

July 10th, 2009 - Received package

July 14th, 2009 - NVC automated system show checklist letter received for kids cases

July 21st, 2009 - as per NVC request second email sent requesting expedite of interview

July 24st, 2009 - NVC cases show complete

November 23rd, 2009 - Medicals in Toronto

November 26th, 2009 - Medical packages received

November 2nd, 2009 - Interviews are scheduled for 12/18/2009

December 18th, 2009 - Approved and Visas in Hand

December 21st, 2009 - POE... Windsor/Detroit

Timeline
Has anyone ever figured out what order people get interviews? Do K1, or C1, or I1 get precedent over others, themselves? Is it just first come first serve (by NVC completion date)?

I have never seen a pattern like that. Sometimes you see a lot of K1s one month and a lot of CR1s the next, but never one type having priority over the other.

For IR1/CR1 is pretty much seems to be first come first served, not always perfectly - but pretty close.

Timeline

Wow Montreal got slow again? It took me 5 months to get my interview date after sending in packet 3 to the consulate. This was in 2007. In 2008 I was looking at timelines and it was taking 2and 1/2 to 3 months to get the interview date. 4 months is a long time but its a little better than the 5-7 months it was taking in 2007. Hopefully everyone waiting will get their interview dates soon.

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Two things popped to mind while reading this thread. First, as Trailmix said, they must have bad management. I heard rumors of massive turnover in Montreal last February when I started this process. Did they have more people leave or are these the same people? And why did so many leave? If it's the same people we heard about eight months ago and DOS still hasn't solved the problem, that's rather lame. No matter what, it sounds like it's a bad place to work, aka bad management.

Second, who are these people who left? They must be the "behind the scenes" people that we do not see. I say that because I've been reading everyone's reviews for almost a year and when I went for my interview, it was like I already knew the people that were there - the mean lady at the window, the nice guy interviewer who chats like a friend, the nice lady interviewer who is very professional, etc. Those who have been around for a while know that the "up front" employees are still there, so I guess it's the support staff that keeps leaving.

Perhaps the conflict has been started by the infamous grouchy lady at Montreal? ;)

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

So A few of us called today and found out that our interviews no longer existed.

Apparently, we (varba and I) were the 3rd person to call today (just to that agent) and she was going to talk to her supervisor about it. They think Montreal did something to the system last Friday that made it appear that quite a few people got interviews. So this apparently is completely Montreals fault and the nice agent told Varba that I should expect a January interview...

Edited by Peachey

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
So A few of us called today and found out that our interviews no longer existed.

Apparently, we (varba and I) were the 3rd person to call today (just to that agent) and she was going to talk to her supervisor about it. They think Montreal did something to the system last Friday that made it appear that quite a few people got interviews. So this apparently is completely Montreals fault and the nice agent told Varba that I should expect a January interview...

nooooooooooooooo :crying:

dammit.

Timeline

Well that would be a 6 month wait - totally unacceptable. I'm a bit surprised she told you that - you would think, after what you just told her that they would stop guessing at when someone is going to get an interview!!

How the heck would she know? There are obviously problems at Montreal and nothing is running as it has in recent history (ie: slow but not slow as molasses) so her guessing at your January interview is based on.....what - her gut feeling - magic 8 ball?

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I'm going to get my fiancee's congressperson in the mix if I don't hear from them by the end of November. This is pretty ridiculous.

(Not that I think they can really do anything at the Consulate stage anyway, but at least there would be more people aware of the problem.)

Edited by Spoom

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.