KnJ's US Immigration Timeline

  Petitioner's Name: Jason
Beneficiary's Name: Karen
VJ Member: KnJ
Country: Canada

Last Updated: 2013-02-12
Register or log in to follow this timeline


Immigration Checklist for Jason & Karen:

USCIS I-129F Petition:      
Dept of State K1 Visa:    
USCIS I-485 Petition:  
USCIS I-765 Petition:      
USCIS I-131 Petition:      
USCIS I-751 Petition:  
USCIS N-400 Petition:  

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
I-129F Sent : 2009-01-26
I-129F NOA1 : 2009-01-28
I-129F RFE(s) :
RFE Reply(s) :
I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-10
NVC Received : 2009-05-12
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :
NVC Left : 2009-05-13
Consulate Received : 2009-05-15
Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-20
Packet 3 Sent : 2009-07-27
Packet 4 Received :
Interview Date : 2009-11-06
Interview Result : Approved
Second Interview
(If Required):
Second Interview Result:
Visa Received : 2009-11-12
US Entry : 2009-11-13
Marriage : 2009-12-12
Comments : We had 2 months between receiving P3 and sending it back - so time between original I-129F and interview is affected by this.

Note the May dates are a bit fuzzy except for 05/15 Consulate letter that arrived with P3. And NOA1 date 01/28. Maybe NOA2 is correct. Fiance in US has that somewhere :0.
Estimates/Stats :
Your I-129f was approved in 102 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 282 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Port of Entry Review
Event Date
Port of Entry : CDN-USA Border
POE Date : 2009-11-13
Got EAD Stamp : No
Biometrics Taken : Yes
Harassment Level : 0
Comments :

Adjustment of Status
Event Date
CIS Office : Boston MA
Date Filed : 2010-02-10
NOA Date : 2010-02-17
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-08
AOS Transfer** :
Interview Date : 2010-05-14
Approval / Denial Date : 2010-05-14
Approved : Yes
Got I551 Stamp :
Greencard Received: 2010-06-11
Comments : Other than a sort of long wait before the interview, the process was painless. Officer was very nice and only really asked to verify a couple of documents. Online case status was flaky, and it reverted to "sent approval notice" when the Green Card was actually mailed out.

Employment Authorization Document
Event Date
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2010-02-10
NOA Date : 2010-02-17
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-08
Approved Date : 2010-04-16
Date Card Received : 2010-04-27
Comments :
Estimates/Stats :
Your EAD was approved in 65 days.

Advance Parole
Event Date
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method :  
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2010-02-10
NOA Date : 2010-02-17
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2010-04-21
Comments :
Estimates/Stats :
Your AP was approved in 68 days.

Lifting Conditions
Event Date
CIS Office : Vermont Service Center
Date Filed : 2012-03-19
NOA Date : 2012-03-22
RFE(s) : 2012-11-21
Bio. Appt. : 2012-04-23
Interview Date :
Approval / Denial Date : 2013-02-06
Approved : Yes
Got I551 Stamp :
Green Card Received : 2013-02-11
Comments : Card Production Tracking origin: KY 02/08/2013

From RFE: "Collectively, the evidence you provided does not adequately demonstrate joint financial and social obligations, and does not span the length of your marriage."
Additional comments about some evidence not covering entire period of marriage.

Member Reviews:

Consulate Review: Montreal, Canada
Review Topic: K1 Visa
Event Description
Review Date : November 7, 2009
Embassy Review : Interviewed November 6th, my fiance (USC) came with me. Arrived approximately 7:10am and was 4th in line. by 7:30 there were at least 30 people waiting in line outside. I received letter "D". We didn't really wait for the elevator, because we were the first batch through. We were brought upstairs, and we waited in a bank of separate chairs on the far side. The next group of people they brought up, and all subsequent, were directed to line up for a number.

Those of us with letters were not called up in order - presumably each person taking the documents was assigned a case, and we were called up in the order those people were ready to receive the documents. When I was called up to the window, the woman was very cheerful and smiling. She asked me for documents one at a time, including original + 1 copy of my long form birth certificate.

I had things organized as follows - one folder of originals and one of copies in the same order (each flagged and labelled so I could pull out the right doc regardless of what order she asked for them). In all I was able to put my file folders including additional evidence (which was never requested) into one file pocket/portfolio, the kind with the elastics to hold it together. This allowed me to only need to rifle through two different piles, and not have to separate out copies she didn't ask for. I didn't bring the x-ray.

As a sidenote, they folded my xpresspost envelope so it is more convenient to put in the file, so don't worry about doing the same, it's SO much easier to carry that way.

We were then sent to pay, and told to return to the window to get fingerprints taken and give her the receipt of my payment. The line up for the cashier is beside the line up where people were waiting for numbers. You line up to the left of the sash to make payment, and a couple in the other line were going to go ahead of me but she actually stopped them to move us through to pay. It all seemed very efficient. The cashier asked for bills -- so don't bring change. They check if the bills are counterfeit. They do give change if needed. (We supplied $100 + $40 + $1)

Upon returning to the document lady to get fingerprinted, I supplied the receipt and had to give fingerprints of all fingers on each hand, and then thumbs of both hands. While I was doing this, the man who was to interview me dropped by and said hello, and then he said 'Oh this is Karen and Jason? The famous KnJ! Excellent, I'll see you soon, and we'll chat about VJ after the interview." He was very warm.

I was told to sit back in the original bank of chairs and wait, and they will call me by name. It was nice to have cdn_gewels (who, by the way, was the first one done!) and Missa to talk to. The room kept getting busier and busier! Some people had to use the computer terminals to fill out more forms. Others had giant messy stacks of paper, or tiny Xpresspost envelopes, and I wondered how they'd fare.

We were called into a room with a door, and closed the door behind us, the CO was very friendly, smiling, and made warm eye contact. I think he was a supervisor, but I'm not sure of his name. He asked me to hold up my right hand and he gave the oath. Then we chatted, he asked how we met and when. He asked J directly what he does. He also asked when we got serious and decided to go forth with marriage, and if there was any period of time after that when we broke up. I answered that we had a rough patch for a bit when I stayed wth him as a visitor and got sick, but we worked through it and I said ultimately it made us stronger.

Then he had us leave the room and wait outside, he said there was a finalization of the background check or something. Very shortly after that we were called back in, and he told me I was approved! He said congratulations, and gave me a sheet with information on "what's next", said it would take 7-10 business days to get the visa. asked if we had any questions. He explained the ability to travel outside the country etc.

After the interview, he remarked to us that the people who come in and have used VJ are the most organized (he even gave nods to cdn_gewels!), and that they really like doing K-1s and CR-1s because it is a happy situation. They are very cognizant of how much our lives are on hold and in uncertainty because of delays and such, and they really are doing everything they can. He said in terms of receiving the visa, they are working overtime, he's bringing his people in on Saturday, to process visas. It was very reassuring to hear that, he said even though he doesn't want to be making people work overtime like that, they are doing whatever they can to speed things up. The fact that he was working (turns out he was the head of the consulate), conveys that they are working overtime and are all contributing to speeding up the proces.

I think we were out of the building at 9:30am, elated and we spent a bit of time in MTL kicking around before J drove back to Boston and I took the train to Toronto. Huge huge kudos to VJ for making this sooo much easier and less stressful than I think it otherwise would've been.
Rating : Very Good

POE Review: CDN-USA Border
Event Description
Entry Date : 2009-11-13
Embassy Review : Peace Bridge-Fort Erie
Friday November 13, 2009 - approx. 3pm

I had about 4 cars in front of me, and would've had none if I'd picked a different lane. The primary border guard was very friendly. Asked citizenship, I said Canadian and I wish to activate my K-1 visa. He asked me a few basic questions, including where am I staying tonight, how/where did I meet my fiance, he verified I'm not married yet, and that I have the package of documents with me. He joked that there'd be big trouble if I didn't have the big envelope. He asked what I have in my car, and I said personal effects, clothing, decor, kitchen stuff, cats. >^..^<

I think I heard someone over the radio say something like "female in the white sweatshirt _____" and I figure that's because I had a huge amount of stuff in my car.

He gave me a slip of white paper with my license plate number on it, and he took my passport to put through their vacuum tube system. I was directed to secondary - put on flashers, and drive slowly toward the officer standing by a CBP car - and there was some lighthearted warning about fleeing, and I joked back that there wasn't a chance of that. I drove very slowly over, just to put them at ease.

I parked in the small lot and was told to enter door #2.

I had a seat and only waited a few minutes to be called, during which time I admired the stuffed eagle they have in their modern waiting room (the waiting area is much nicer than Queenston-Lewiston secondary ). I gave in my big sealed envelope. The officer was friendly and kept humming while he was processing me, and this made me feel at ease. Mainly it was the documents from the petition and the interview stage, and some other medical documents (he didn't read any of the stuff near the bottom very closely).

He asked a few questions during the process, like what does my fiance do, and what is the address I will be living at. He checked my finger prints and took a photograph of me. He put a mark on the visa in my passport, and stapled another slip to the passport. He stamped a few things on my paperwork, and basically I was on my way.

In all I think it took 20 minutes, and I was back on the road.

My car (a hatchback packed almost to the gills) and my cats were not inspected, and I was not even asked about importing my car (which I planned to do at a later date since I did not receive paperwork in time). I think I was asked at one point whether I'd ever been refused entry to the US, but I can't remember.

I'd recommend the Peace Bridge, and the time of day was good for no lineups etc. Perhaps it was lucky Friday the 13th
Harassment Level : Low

Timeline Comments: None yet, be the first!

Register or log in to comment on this timeline

*Notice about estimates: The estimates are based off averages of other members recent experiences
(documented in their timelines) for the same benefit/petition/application at the same filing location.
Individual results may vary as every case is not always 'average'. Past performance does not necessarily
predict future results. The 'as early as date' may change over time based on current reported processing
times from members. There have historically been cases where a benefit/petition/application processing
briefly slows down or stops and this can not be predicted. Use these dates as reference only and do not
rely on them for planning. As always you should check the USCIS processing times to see if your application
is past due.

** Not all cases are transfered

vjTimeline ver 5.0