mitch.snyder

what happens if we don't get the K-1 in time???

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, I was wondering what will happen if I don't get my K-1 in time for the wedding date we have planned?? Is there any way for me to move to the US and get married without the K-1??? Can I just change the process from K-1 to K-3 (I believe it's a K-3) I am trying to do the whole application thing without a lawyer but early in the process I did call one immigration lawyer who said that what I'm describing here is indeed possible but she didn't say how... she wanted me to retain her services at a fee of $3500 CDN and I figured that was a waste of money....

you have all been EXTREMELY helpful in the past and I'm very thankful for this website!! It has made this whole process a heck of a lot easier! Please let me know!!!

thanks for your time!!

You can avoid these kinds of scheduling conflicts by not planning a wedding without knowing when (or if) you'll get the visa. Even USCIS tells you not to make plans like this.

My advice would be to allow for PLENTY (I mean PLENTY) of time if you're going to insist on planning a wedding. What was your estimated wedding date?

Edited by Otto und Karin

Timeline
You can avoid these kinds of scheduling conflicts by not planning a wedding without knowing when (or if) you'll get the visa. Even USCIS tells you not to make plans like this.

My advice would be to allow for PLENTY (I mean PLENTY) of time if you're going to insist on planning a wedding. What was your estimated wedding date?

We're thinking the 22nd of May, 2010 which is 269 days from today. Based upon the research I've done on here by looking at the previous 20 cases sent to the same processing center (California), same consulate (Vancouver Canada) the average time from NOA1 to Visa interview is about 170 days. We are mailing the application package this week so we should have about 100 day cushion... simply based on the averages.... I know this is not a perfect way to plan things but still we want to have a traditional wedding, not just a JOP at the local courthouse...

We're thinking the 22nd of May, 2010 which is 269 days from today. Based upon the research I've done on here by looking at the previous 20 cases sent to the same processing center (California), same consulate (Vancouver Canada) the average time from NOA1 to Visa interview is about 170 days. We are mailing the application package this week so we should have about 100 day cushion... simply based on the averages.... I know this is not a perfect way to plan things but still we want to have a traditional wedding, not just a JOP at the local courthouse...

While I don't recommend making UNCHANGEABLE plans. You should make 100% sure that the package you send in and also when you get to the consulate stage YOU COVER EVERYTHING leaving nothing out.

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can get married while you have a K1 pending, but you would need to return to Canada after the wedding, and your K1 is forfeit, ie you loose all the money you paid and time you spent waiting, and need to start again from the beginning with a spousal visa.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Of course USCIS tells you not to make plans like this—they approve applications in whatever order they damn well please. Basically, OP, don't bother making any plans.

Looking on the bright side, however, you're a CSC filer, which means you may actually get approved before the second coming.

(sorry, having a bad night)

Edited by Stephen + Elisha

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Timeline

While I don't recommend making UNCHANGEABLE plans. You should make 100% sure that the package you send in and also when you get to the consulate stage YOU COVER EVERYTHING leaving nothing out.

That's what we are trying to do... make sure we dont leave anything out.... I'm confident that I will be accepted for the Visa, that is why we are moving forward with our wedding plans... I know that this might be a little foolish as no one is guaranteed a visa but I think I pass all the requirements needed.... I do not have any skeletons in my closet... no previous marriages... dui's .... anything like that.... so I'm just hoping it all works out....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Based on previous posts, getting married prior to recieving your K1 will cause you lots of aggravation. I read were a couple were married in India (due to local customs) while waiting on a K1 approval..When they got the K1 approval and got to the embassy for interview were denied and had to wait 3 years for a new application..They were trying to appeal it and hired a lawyer but, I am not sure how it ended up.. I would play it on the safe side and wait until you recieve the NA02 then plan your wedding..USCIS is like a machine, if you break a link - you will be back at the starting line again..They can actually deny you for up to 10 years for falsifying a federal document (i.e applying for a Fiance visa when you are already married). It's not worth the gamble

-Be patient and good luck..

Gene and Keila (Peru)

Met 2.26.2007

engaged 2,15,2009

NA01 5.1.2009

APPROVED, NOTHING COMPLICATE!!!!! GOOD LUCK.

Timeline
Based on previous posts, getting married prior to recieving your K1 will cause you lots of aggravation. I read were a couple were married in India (due to local customs) while waiting on a K1 approval..When they got the K1 approval and got to the embassy for interview were denied and had to wait 3 years for a new application..They were trying to appeal it and hired a lawyer but, I am not sure how it ended up.. I would play it on the safe side and wait until you recieve the NA02 then plan your wedding..USCIS is like a machine, if you break a link - you will be back at the starting line again..They can actually deny you for up to 10 years for falsifying a federal document (i.e applying for a Fiance visa when you are already married). It's not worth the gamble

-Be patient and good luck..

Gene and Keila (Peru)

Met 2.26.2007

engaged 2,15,2009

NA01 5.1.2009

Yeah I understand... patience is key.... but part of me just wants to plan so we can move forward.... I hate being in limbo!!! It is a strain on the relationship that I don't really like (it's hard enough that we have to live apart!!!)

the joy of working with a government I suppose....

One never knows what will happen once the petition gets to the first stage. Approval times can vary. Ours was in 3.5 months, but others have been quicker, and some longer. From start to finish, our took 6 months. Personally, I'd wait until the NOA2 before locking in any dates. You'll still have about 2 months before the interview after that stage, ( and Vancouver is a great place, btw). Once we got the NOA2, we set a date that would be reasonable, given the fact I'd have a house to sell, job to quit, etc, and started making plans. We also figured out flowers, reception hall, photographer, all the biggies, and thankfully were all available on the date we picked. They all understood that we had to wait for immigration, so we couldn't put a deposit on anything until we knew what happened at the interview. Once I called Tim to say "book them all!!" we could officially lock in the date and get the invitations in the mail. I moved almost two months after the interview, and have still 3.5 weeks to go before the wedding. We, too, are having a traditional wedding, with all the trimmings. I just wanted to encourage you that it can be done when you're apart from each other for so long.

Oh!! Welcome to VJ!! :star: If you haven't already, check out the Canada forum as there is a wealth of info in there too.

Best wishes for your journey. It's long; it's hard; it can be downright frustrating!! But you'll both get through it. :)

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

our wedding plan changed about 4 times already. More than likely you should not have an actual wedding day planned until you receive your visa approval from immigration... MO

We are Looking forward to being married.

I know everyone on here cringes when I answer one of these threads...because I'm one of those who decided to plan and put deposits down while the visa was still processing (before NOA2 even...). I did just like you, using the stats on here to figure out with some degree of confidence how long I thought it would take, and then added on some padding. End result: He had the visa more than 90 days before the wedding, and now we are sitting with the visa in hand but still apart (he wanted to work as long as possible).

I'd just like to reiterate that you should not make any completely inflexible plans without being willing to eat the cost if things don't work out (and believe me, you won't get any sympathy from VJ if you come back to complain! ;)). Check your contracts so you can change the date - know what the fine print says about notice (60 days? etc). If it's not in the standard contract, ask if it can be put in. I found many of my vendors were sympathetic when I explained the situation. If you can't afford to loose deposits on venues and caterers, and can't get a change the date for free clause, then start working on things like flowers, dress, rings, officiant, invite design, etc. These are time independent and might ease your planning bug!

Go into this with your eyes open - even people who thought they would have no problems get hung up too, so take it seriously when I say be prepared to loose what you cannot build flexibility into.

I understand wanting to be able to plan a complete wedding (legal and ceremonial together + family and friends from all over). It takes meticulous planning and the will/ability to take calculated risks, so not everyone can do it. Best of luck!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

We planned to marry in July of 2007, we filed in September 2006 the interview was August of 2007, this is August of 2009 and we still are waiting for the visa with no end in sight. So you never know what is going to happen or when, now we don't plan anything that involves dealing with the Government of the US of A. Stock up on Tums and Kleenex and hopefully you will never need to use them.

Ron

Plan for your future but don't plan the wedding just yet.

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm not from Canada so I'm not gunna be much help except for sticking up for making wedding plans "early" :P

I too started planning my wedding AGES ago. We filed in late Feb 09 set a tentative date for Nov 09.. thinking this was plenty of time. By June we still hadn't heard anything and were REALLY freaking out... I'd also booked my flight because it was cheaper when I did.. and that flight was booked 12 Sept 09... I was told that it would take 6 months. Only after filing, and finding this website did I find out that it CAN be six months but it's typically longer.

Anyway my FH and I set June 30th as our "need NOA2" by date. If we didn't get it by then, we would move my flight back. The night of June 30 I received my NOA2 by email. Not long after that (you'll have to check my signature or timeline) I got P3. P3 took a while to get together but we set the deadline (again) of July 30th to have it sent by, and we were *fingers crossed* that I'd get an appointment in August sometime. Turned out that it took an extra week (so early August) to send P3 but 2 days or so after sending it I received P4. My interview was set for 25 August 2009 at 10am.

While waiting for the interview my FH paid for the reception hall in full he was that confident. My sister and her husband booked flights from Germany (were they will be around my wedding time) to come to my wedding, my bridesmaids have ordered their dresses, my sister has bought her dress,... things are in motion. i was scared, don't get me wrong, but I was also determined.

So it's the 27th August today, and here I sit, waiting for my Visa to be sent in the mail because I got APPROVED! I am catching my Sept 12 flight, I am sticking with my Nov 7 wedding date and it took almost 6 months to the day for me to get my Visa.

So I suppose what I'm trying to say is there's nothing wrong with planning. My sister and her hubby could have changed flights. My FH and i would be getting married at SOME stage so the dresses weren't wasted... and I have my wedding dress already and it's being altered so everything is transferable...

Stick with it. Double check everything. Have someone else read over the forms and the correspondence to make sure you didn't miss anything (I had my mum check some things and my FH check others) and also, as a matter of note, we had NO RFE's which I think helped, had we, might have been a difft story.

Good luck!!

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We were in the same situation too, we had our wedding seheduled for September ,we filed for K-1 in Feb but still havent heard anything from them.... My advise as we have done was to just move it to next year and buy yourself some time. Good Luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.