ochef

OOPS! Got married BEFORE applying for a SSN

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife arrived to the US 3 weeks ago and we got married last week. We thought we would wait to apply for SSN so she wouldn't have to do a name change. We went to the Social Security office and they said that now that we are married, we would have to get a change of status first before applying for a number. Change of status can take several months and she is at risk of her I-94 expiring in the meantime. What do we do???

If it were me/us - I'd go back and apply for the social security card again under the maiden name.

You can always go back once you have the name changed after you get the PR/Green Card. Getting the number is more important than having it under the married name (in my opinion).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

they are full of ####### - nessa applied after the marriage for the same reason, no problem.

moved from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures to Working & Traveling prior to getting a Green Card

this section also covers getting a Social Security Number (SSN) and is for general discussion on all these topics.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We filed for the SSN a couple of weeks after marriage as well. No problems.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline

Which SSA office was this?

I would go back to the office and ask to speak with a manager.

I would provide this information.

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

When an alien applies for an SSN card, presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

D. Examples of Legal Name Changes

4. Name Change to a Name Different From Name on Immigration Document

Monica Mumma Stottlemyer applies for a replacement SSN card in her married name. She:

Completes an SS-5 showing her first name as Monica, her middle name as Mumma, and her last name as Smith;

Completes the other names used field, showing that name as “Monica (first name), Mumma Stottlemyer (last name);”

Signs the SS-5 as “Monica M. Smith;”

Submits a U.S. marriage document showing Monica Mumma Stottlemyer and John Smith married last week (the marriage document shows the dates of birth for Monica and John);

Submits a driver's license with her photograph that shows the name Monica M. Smith; and

Submits a DHS employment authorization card with her photograph and showing her name as “Mumma Stottlemyer, Monica.”

The U.S. marriage document supports the legal name change and is acceptable evidence of identity in both the old name and the new name because it shows biographical data (date of birth) that can be compared to the Numident record. Further, the name to be shown on the SSN card agrees with the name on the additional identity document in the new legal name (the driver's license).

SSA can process the name change request. Process the SS-5 to have the name “Monica (first name) Mumma (middle name) Smith (last name) to be shown in the card and enter “Monica (first name) Mumma Stottlemyer (compound surname) as an “other name used.” The compound surname must be entered the same way it is shown on the immigration document. Advise the NH to also contact DHS to change her surname to “Smith” with that agency.

Make sure you point out it says ADVISE to report the change, not MUST before the application can be processed.

Edited by I Quit

Timeline

We went to the SSA office Council Bluffs, IA and called the one in Omaha. They both said the same thing. Once we were married, her status changed from K1 to k3 and is not eligible to work...or get a SSN without first filing a for a change of status. We also went to the local USCIS office and they told us the same thing. The guy in the Omaha office advised us that if we applied for a number without saying we were married, it would be fraud and she could be deported.

So, as I understand it, arrive on a K1--wait 10 days get a SSN....no problem...but if you get married before SSN, then you must wait for your green card....months to a year later? Seems very strange.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
We went to the SSA office Council Bluffs, IA and called the one in Omaha. They both said the same thing. Once we were married, her status changed from K1 to k3 and is not eligible to work...or get a SSN without first filing a for a change of status. We also went to the local USCIS office and they told us the same thing. The guy in the Omaha office advised us that if we applied for a number without saying we were married, it would be fraud and she could be deported.

So, as I understand it, arrive on a K1--wait 10 days get a SSN....no problem...but if you get married before SSN, then you must wait for your green card....months to a year later? Seems very strange.

This is all so very wrong... The USCIS office said your status changed from K-1 to K-3 after marriage?

YMMV

Filed: Other Timeline

This is all so very wrong... The USCIS office said your status changed from K-1 to K-3 after marriage?

That's got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I swear these people make things up as they go along :blink:

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Filed: Timeline

I would like to think that the USCIS person said that you aren't eligible for an SSN as a K-1 after you marry, which is just as wrong, but at least they would be wrong about something they aren't supposed to know. Plus if that is the case, why would you take SSN info from USCIS? You might as well have them do your taxes too. LOL

Timeline

Yes....USCIS said our status changed to "in process" (I think) and not to worry now about her I-94 expiring. They gave us all the form to fill out and explained the remaining process. I asked for an interim work permit and USCIS said no to that as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My wife arrived to the US 3 weeks ago and we got married last week. We thought we would wait to apply for SSN so she wouldn't have to do a name change. We went to the Social Security office and they said that now that we are married, we would have to get a change of status first before applying for a number. Change of status can take several months and she is at risk of her I-94 expiring in the meantime. What do we do???

It seems to me that the people who hand out SSN are very ill-informed theres tonnes of posts in these forums about people getting messed around when they go in to get a SSN. My advice is to find the relevant information on getting a SSN as a immigrant and printing it off and taking it to the SSN office, either that or driving to the next nearest office.

Best of luck! :thumbs:

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Change of status can take several months and she is at risk of her I-94 expiring in the meantime. What do we do???

As long as you get the NOA from the AOS, you do not have to worry about your I-94 expiring.

AOS changes your status to "applicant to adjust status"

You do not need a SSN to AOS.

I recommend that everyone files for the AOS ASAP after marriage (prior to the I-94 expiring).

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I applied SSN june 23,2009 but until now i dnt have the SSN yet..I called the 1-800...and they told me to wait 8 weeks cuz they are going to verify my name at department of homeland/USCIS....

I was thinking that Its because I used my husband last name thats why it takes forever to sent me my SSN....

I need help with this matter...what can I do??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.