SomeGeoffGuy

Fiance's Dad Opened Envelop That Says "DO NOT OPEN"

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I thought we were all set. Got back from Montreal last Friday, everything went great. Fiance had the package go to her dad's house. She calls him up from work Monday and asks him if it is there and he says yes. He ends up opening it and when she went to pick it up she found out it said "DO NOT OPEN". I guess he is Bosnian and can't read English or something.

It is kind of a sticky wicket, because she lives in Windsor but works in Detroit, so she has a work Visa in her passport too.

Anyone have any experience with this? Are we headed back to Montreal?

Geoff

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes, back to the consulate to have them reseal it. :(

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

aww im sorry to hear that, hopefully you can get that fixed soon enough ..God bless!

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

That sucks. (F)

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

So I thought we were all set. Got back from Montreal last Friday, everything went great. Fiance had the package go to her dad's house. She calls him up from work Monday and asks him if it is there and he says yes. He ends up opening it and when she went to pick it up she found out it said "DO NOT OPEN". I guess he is Bosnian and can't read English or something.

It is kind of a sticky wicket, because she lives in Windsor but works in Detroit, so she has a work Visa in her passport too.

Anyone have any experience with this? Are we headed back to Montreal?

Geoff

Sorry to say that she'll have to go back and have it resealed. You " guess he can't read English or something?" Why is she having it sent to her parents place anyway if she's living in Windsor?

Don't lament much about the fact that it's now unsealed, it has happened to others before, and not by their parents!

carlahmsb4.gif

Back to the embassy for you.

Begs the question, why would he open his daughters mail? :)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Geoff, since she lives in Windsor, try calling the Toronto consulate to see if they can reseal it for you, since the visa has already been granted, I wonder if they may be able to help you. Here is the website with their contact information. Worth a call if you ask me, Montreal is far from Windsor

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/toronto.asp

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
Geoff, since she lives in Windsor, try calling the Toronto consulate to see if they can reseal it for you, since the visa has already been granted, I wonder if they may be able to help you. Here is the website with their contact information. Worth a call if you ask me, Montreal is far from Windsor

Thanks for the info on the Toronto consulate. It would be nice not to have to drive 10 hours back to Montreal.

Next week she is going to just go to the border and see what they say. Canadians are pretty laid back so we will see. Thank god for the Nexus Express lane at the border. She said she only has to show her passport once every six months or so.

-Geoff

Timeline
Back to the embassy for you.

Begs the question, why would he open his daughters mail? :)

In his defense, she asked him to open it and look at it over the phone. She came back to the US on Friday, and didn't want to make another crossing without her passport. She needed to know if they cancelled her work visa or not. We didn't know it said "DO NOT OPEN", and appearantly, he didn't think to mention it. :bonk:

-Geoff

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Which package was this? I ask because my fiancee's mail goes to his parents' house -- he has moved a few times since we filed -- and I could see them doing something dumb like that!

June 1997 - Met at summer camp; became friends over the next two years but lost touch

August 2007 - Ron finds Jody on Facebook and relationship begins

September 2007 - Ron visits Jody in US

October 2007 - Ron visits Jody in US on and off for 9 months

July 17, 2008 - Ron returns to Germany

August 20, 2009 - Jody visited Ron in Germany for 10 days after 13 months apart!

May 15, 2010 - Ron visited Jody on VWP

Legally married - May 20, 2010 (after 13 years, couldn't stand being apart anymore!)

AOS postmarked - August 17, 2010

AOS NOA1 - August 25, 2010

AOS interview (rescheduled from Jan. due to winter storm closing) - March 17, 2001 - APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Aww...that stinks. Hopefully it will be taken care of soon.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Thanks for the info on the Toronto consulate. It would be nice not to have to drive 10 hours back to Montreal.

Next week she is going to just go to the border and see what they say. Canadians are pretty laid back so we will see. Thank god for the Nexus Express lane at the border. She said she only has to show her passport once every six months or so.

-Geoff

Thanks for getting back to us Geoff. Great idea about the Toronto consulate as well canadian_wife! :thumbs: Let us know how you resolve this. It would be good to know for future reference.

All the best! (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Oh wellz, at least they cought that now instead of having to take a flight over, get to immigration and being told NOPE! you've open the packet, can;t let you through, BACK YOU GO!

PM me for any AP or AR relating to the NBI

USEM NBI Requirements:

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html

Timeline

Just FYI, she came over on Saturday through the nexus express lane and the guy flagged her for a random search. We thought we were done for. She went inside and just told them she wasn't ready to come over as a fiance yet, and they just said OK and let her cross without processing it.

The plan is to try to emigrate as a fiance on Thursday, Should be interesting. Hopefully they won't make us go back and seal the package.

-Geoff

Timeline

Good news! After getting a stern lecture from the immigration officer, my finace was allowed into the country! It is nice to see people at the border using common sense instead of tirelessly sticking to proper paperwork. Thank you to whoever stamped us through!

-Geoff

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.