jessie1970

marriage or wait 4 fiancee visa??

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

HI..... HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP AS IM NEW HERE AND GETTING CONFUSED BIG TIME!!!!! I HAVE KNOWN MY FIANCE WHO LIVES IN THE US FOR OVER 11 YEARS , WAS ONLY IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS WE DECIDED THAT AFTER BEING BEST FRIENDS FOR ALL THESE YEARS AND NO MATTER WHAT HAD GONE ON IN OUR LIVES THAT ACTUALLY WE WANTED TO BE WITH EACH OTHER AS NOTHING ELSE COMPARED! WE WANT TO GET MARRIED AND HATE BEING APART I WAS OVER IN MAY AND RETURNING IN AUGUST FOR A MONTH,,, I UNDERSTAND THAT IF WE PETITION FOR THE FIANCEE VISA ETC WERE LOOKING AT ATLEAST 6-9 MTHS WE ARE ALREADY ENGAGED AND YES MAY SOUND SAD BUT BOTH WEAR WEDDING BANDS!! LOL..... OK HERE'S OUR QUESTION..... I UNDERSTAND IN AUGUST I HAVE TO OBVIOUSLY COME BACK TO THE UK BUT WOULD IT REALLY MAKE MUCH DIFF TO ANYTHING IF WE GOT MARRIED WHILST I WAS THERE?? I KNOW MAY SOUND STRANGE BUT WE WOULD RATHER BE APART AS HUSBAND AND WIFE THAN JUST APART??? IS THERE MUCH DIFF IN JUST APPLYING FOR A SPOUSAL VISA ONCE WE MARRY AND IM HOME RATHER THAN THE FIANCEE VISA???? OR WE JUST MAKING THINGS WORSE?? THIIS IS SO FRUSTRATING WHEN PPL WHO GENUI LOVE EACH OTHER AND KNOW EACH OTHER JUST WANT TO BE TOGETHER.... AND WHAT IS THIS DIRECT FILLING??? JUST FEEL LIKE LIVING IN LIMBO AT MOMENT AS HAVE JUST BEEN MADE REDUNDANT AND TRAVELLING BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS COSTING US A FORTUNE ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE X PLEASE HELP WOULD BE GRATEFUL OF ANY HELP/INFORMATION AND JUST KNOWING OTHERS FEELING AS ANXIOUS AND FRUSTRATED.. WAS HIS MUM WHO SAID LAST TIME I WAS THERE... WHY DONT U JUST GO DO IT ATLEAST YOUR MARRIED THEN AND THATS EXACTLY HOW WE FEEL X

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

I would get married and do DCF. Since you are from the UK it is possible that DCF might just take you 3-6 months. Also, you would be entering as a immigrant and would receive your Social Security card & Greencard quicker and would be able to start working much sooner.

When you enter on a fiance visa then you have to get married within 90 days and afterwards apply to adjust status and it would take longer before you would be able to start working. It can sometimes cause a strain on a relationship when one person is unemployed and being supported by the other for some months.

I would get married and do DCF. Since you are from the UK it is possible that DCF might just take you 3-6 months. Also, you would be entering as a immigrant and would receive your Social Security card & Greencard quicker and would be able to start working much sooner.

DCF is only an option if the USC lives in and meets residency requirements of the foreign country. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The K 1 is normally marginally faster, but as you'd prefer to be married, I suggest the CR-1; with that visa, the foreign spouse will be able to work right away ater they enter the USA, and saves money on AoS. Check out the guides for more info.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline
The K 1 is normally marginally faster, but as you'd prefer to be married, I suggest the CR-1; with that visa, the foreign spouse will be able to work right away ater they enter the USA, and saves money on AoS. Check out the guides for more info.

OK THANKS HOW DO I KNOW IF I CAN DO DCF??????????????????? AND HOW DO I PROVE RELATIONSHIP ETC ESP IF I WILL BE BACKLIVING IN WHEN WERE MARRIED UNTIL ALL THIS COMES THROUGH!! LOL THATS IF I DONT HAVE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN IN MEAN TIME!! JUST BEEN MADE REDUNDANT AND HAVE 2 KIDS!! XXXXXXXXX VALIUM PLEASE X

I believe you must have legally resided in the UK for 6 months prior to filing your DCF petition in London. I had to show my passport and Kuwait visa to prove that I had been living/working in Kuwait before they would accept my I-130 DCF.

Just to give you an idea....In my case, the I-130 was accepted by the Kuwait embassy and then sent to the UCIS field office in Greece for approval. I received an approval email and packet 3 about a week later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

05/25/2009 - DCF I-130 in Kuwait

06/01/2009 - Approved by DHS/UCIS

06/01/2009 - Packet 3 received with approval email

07/05/2009 - Uzbek Police report received

07/07/2009 - Uzbek Police report authenticated by embassy

07/08/2009 - Medical Exams completed

07/30/2009 - Birth certificate translated and authenticated

08/12/2009 - Kuwait police certificate requested (10 days to process)

08/13/2009 - Sent email to embassy to request interview appointment date

08/16/2009 - Kuwait embassy responded with interview date

08/26/2009 - Interview for wife!!!

08/26/2009 - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

09/01/2009 - Passport with visa and immigration package received by DHL

10/05/2009 - POE at DFW. No issues, very quick

10/15/2009 - Applied for SSN

10/15/2009 - Back to Kuwait to pack and move to Germany

Now working on expedited naturalization....

02/18/2010 - Now working in Germany. Filed N-400 under INA sectin 319(b)

02/24/2010 - Received in Lincoln, NE

03/17/2010 - Check Cashed

03/26/2010 - NOA received requesting additonal payment for Biometrics even through 2 fingerprint cards were supplied with the application.

03/29/2010 - Mailed additional check for $80

04/12/2010 - Biometrics check cashed

04/19/2010 - NOA received saying that payment for biometrics was received

05/11/2010 - Email alert saying case is now in Testing and Interview status. Waiting for interview appointment.

06/15/2010 - Passed Naturalization exam. Same day Oath Ceremony

06/17/2010 - Applied for US Passport

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

You have three options:

1. Marry now, return to the UK, and file for spousal visa through the USCIS here in the states. You cannot live here while it is pending, but you can visit for short periods of time.

2. Marry now, and have your spouse move to the UK and file for the spousal visa through the US embassy. Doing this requires that your spouse be a legal resident of UK for 6 months before you can file, but at least you won't be apart.

3. Wait to marry and file for fiance visa now. The downside to this is that after entering the US on the visa, you have 90 days to get married, then you file to adjust status, which takes a bit of time and more money. You can't work, get a driver license, Social Security card, etc. until that is done.

My advice would be option 2, if you can't do that, then option 1.

Timeline
You have three options:

1. Marry now, return to the UK, and file for spousal visa through the USCIS here in the states. You cannot live here while it is pending, but you can visit for short periods of time.

2. Marry now, and have your spouse move to the UK and file for the spousal visa through the US embassy. Doing this requires that your spouse be a legal resident of UK for 6 months before you can file, but at least you won't be apart.

3. Wait to marry and file for fiance visa now. The downside to this is that after entering the US on the visa, you have 90 days to get married, then you file to adjust status, which takes a bit of time and more money. You can't work, get a driver license, Social Security card, etc. until that is done.

My advice would be option 2, if you can't do that, then option 1.

thank you.... im thinking option 1 because of steves job x

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
HI..... HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP AS IM NEW HERE AND GETTING CONFUSED BIG TIME!!!!! I HAVE KNOWN MY FIANCE WHO LIVES IN THE US FOR OVER 11 YEARS , WAS ONLY IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS WE DECIDED THAT AFTER BEING BEST FRIENDS FOR ALL THESE YEARS AND NO MATTER WHAT HAD GONE ON IN OUR LIVES THAT ACTUALLY WE WANTED TO BE WITH EACH OTHER AS NOTHING ELSE COMPARED! WE WANT TO GET MARRIED AND HATE BEING APART I WAS OVER IN MAY AND RETURNING IN AUGUST FOR A MONTH,,, I UNDERSTAND THAT IF WE PETITION FOR THE FIANCEE VISA ETC WERE LOOKING AT ATLEAST 6-9 MTHS WE ARE ALREADY ENGAGED AND YES MAY SOUND SAD BUT BOTH WEAR WEDDING BANDS!! LOL..... OK HERE'S OUR QUESTION..... I UNDERSTAND IN AUGUST I HAVE TO OBVIOUSLY COME BACK TO THE UK BUT WOULD IT REALLY MAKE MUCH DIFF TO ANYTHING IF WE GOT MARRIED WHILST I WAS THERE?? I KNOW MAY SOUND STRANGE BUT WE WOULD RATHER BE APART AS HUSBAND AND WIFE THAN JUST APART??? IS THERE MUCH DIFF IN JUST APPLYING FOR A SPOUSAL VISA ONCE WE MARRY AND IM HOME RATHER THAN THE FIANCEE VISA???? OR WE JUST MAKING THINGS WORSE?? THIIS IS SO FRUSTRATING WHEN PPL WHO GENUI LOVE EACH OTHER AND KNOW EACH OTHER JUST WANT TO BE TOGETHER.... AND WHAT IS THIS DIRECT FILLING??? JUST FEEL LIKE LIVING IN LIMBO AT MOMENT AS HAVE JUST BEEN MADE REDUNDANT AND TRAVELLING BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS COSTING US A FORTUNE ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE X PLEASE HELP WOULD BE GRATEFUL OF ANY HELP/INFORMATION AND JUST KNOWING OTHERS FEELING AS ANXIOUS AND FRUSTRATED.. WAS HIS MUM WHO SAID LAST TIME I WAS THERE... WHY DONT U JUST GO DO IT ATLEAST YOUR MARRIED THEN AND THATS EXACTLY HOW WE FEEL X

Please turn the CAPS LOCK off

YMMV

Timeline

Please turn the CAPS LOCK off

opps sorry

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moving this topic to CR1 as it doesn't belong in DCF and OP seems to be heading in that direction now

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not a problem - it happens all the time. That is one of the reasons we have Organizers and moderators who can move posts to the proper forums.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Albania
Timeline

If you do get married in August, it's perfectly ok, but remember that if they ask you whether you entered the US with the intention of getting married, you have to say NO! It's legal to get married in the US as a tourist but it's not ok to plan it. It's kinda ridiculous and seems like it doesn't matter but they do ask about that during the interview!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.