Octopuss

Process faster with a lawyer or not?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

we have an attorney had an attorney who knows seems he is no longer around but the thing is it didnt make our case any faster and from what i can tell they have no magic address or phone number to call to find out anything about a case.

if u have a reason that u think u need an attorney plz check to make sure they address ur reason for concern in the cover letter in ur paper work that u send for the petition!!! if they dont address it and wait for it to show up it can make a mess

sara

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Thanks to you guys for your fast replies. Actually I have so much things to do before I leave, like selling my belongings, find someone to rent my house, leaving my job, prepare my new life in the US that I felt it would be good to know someone else - a professional - would take care of that stuff. Are there many forms to fill in or is it quite easy?

It is relatively easy. It is all personal information, nothing complicated, you know all the answers, an attorney does not. The documents you need to provide should be in every adult's top desk drawer, an attorney does not have them. This is a great site with all the guides and instructions you need.

I recommend against doing anything until your visa is in your hand. It is good for 6 months after issuance. I strongly suggest you clean up persoanl business after you have the visa.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

I did 2 k-1's. the first time i used a lawyer cuz i just didnt want to tackle all the paperwork alone and thought i couldnt do it by myself. it wasnt any quicker- in fact, it was expensive and i hated having to wait to hear back from the attorney. remember- you are not their only case. the next time [this time] im doing it on my own and and it seems quicker- you gotta wait no matter what, so get ready for that. its cheaper and i dont have to wait to hear from someone that doesnt have a personal/emotional interest/stake in getting my case done. just get all the paperwork and instructions and read everything SEVERAL times before filling them out. Check everything SEVERAL times before sending the case off and you should be fine. Good Luck!

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

As long as the fiance of the USC does not have any criminal past or previous immigration problems I reccommend doing it without a lawyer. If there is any question of past history consulate with an attorney. My fiance had a previous misrepresentation charge and she was denied at the fiance interview but we are elligible to apply for a I-601 waiver. Even with our situation we are continuing without a lawyer.

Filed: Timeline

Ok, I think you all convinced me to do it by myself. I have other questions but will create other topics to not mix everything. Thank you!

22 Jan 2008 met in Belgium

01 Oct 2009 I-129-F

05 Oct 2009 NOA1 received

12 Jan 2010 NOA2 received

19 Jan 2010 NVC received

20 Jan 2010 NVC left

29 Jan 2010 packet 3 received

29 Jan 2010 packet 3 sent

04 Feb 2010 packet 4 received

25 Feb 2010 interview approved

15 Mar 2010 US Entry with my cat :-)

19 Mar 2010 Official wedding (courthouse)

31 Mar 2010 MMR to be re-done

05 Apr 2010 I-485 sent

14 Apr 2010 NOA received

08 May 2010 Wedding party

21 May 2010 Biometrics

actually it is slower with attorney bcz the attorney is the middle man . any question of the immigration has to forward to her then attorney has to get hold of u and then communicate then reply. too much time wasted. you can do much faster with the help of VJ. good luck. abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

ITs slower with a lawyer, they dont care about your file as much as you do

01/21/10 - AOS Approved

01/19/10 - EAD Card Received

01/16/10 - AP received

11/18/09 - AOS - NOA1

10/30/09 - Civil Marriage

10/24/09 - Entry/I-94 start

09/04/09 - K1 issued

07/15/09 - K1 - NOA2

02/27/09 - K1 - NOA1

02/24/09 - Filed I-129F

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Whilst they can speed things up if things are going wrong, they can also slow things down especially near the end at the consulate stage.

Amen to that.

Save your money for something better. like a prenup :lol:

lancer I just saw some of your off-topic posts you crack me up, please don't stop.

Edited by Nill

Click our timeline to view our progress

Disclaimer: Our case was expedited. Do not base your timeline off of this. :)

826666e874.png

ea270d66be.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.