Octopuss

Process faster with a lawyer or not?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Dear all,

We will start the K1 procedure soon and would like to know about your experience about the timelines. Do you think the process goes faster if you hire a lawyer? What are the advantages of hiring a lawyer?

Thanks for your help.

22 Jan 2008 met in Belgium

01 Oct 2009 I-129-F

05 Oct 2009 NOA1 received

12 Jan 2010 NOA2 received

19 Jan 2010 NVC received

20 Jan 2010 NVC left

29 Jan 2010 packet 3 received

29 Jan 2010 packet 3 sent

04 Feb 2010 packet 4 received

25 Feb 2010 interview approved

15 Mar 2010 US Entry with my cat :-)

19 Mar 2010 Official wedding (courthouse)

31 Mar 2010 MMR to be re-done

05 Apr 2010 I-485 sent

14 Apr 2010 NOA received

08 May 2010 Wedding party

21 May 2010 Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Dear all,

We will start the K1 procedure soon and would like to know about your experience about the timelines. Do you think the process goes faster if you hire a lawyer? What are the advantages of hiring a lawyer?

Thanks for your help.

everyone gets in the same line

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

We did our own without a lawyer. As long as your case is simple, ie no convictions, you should probably be able to do it yourself. Most of the people on here that had simple cases and used a lawyer, actually feel that the lawyer made the process a bit longer. YOU have to gather all of the evidence yourself then relay it to your attorney, they relay to thier assistant, the assistant then fills out the form, the forms are then given back to the attorney for thier approval, sometimes they present them to you for proofread as well, then they finally get mailed out. By the time the assistant gets them filled out, you could have already had them done yourself and in the mail. So. if you feel confident in reading the instructions and being able to fill these out on your own, save your money and do your own.

And remember, if you have questions, just ask here on VJ.

Thanks to you guys for your fast replies. Actually I have so much things to do before I leave, like selling my belongings, find someone to rent my house, leaving my job, prepare my new life in the US that I felt it would be good to know someone else - a professional - would take care of that stuff. Are there many forms to fill in or is it quite easy?

01 Oct 2009 I-129-F

19 Jan 2010 NVC received

20 Jan 2010 NVC left

05 Apr 2010 I-485 sent

14 Apr 2010 NOA received

21 May 2010 Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As others have already said, there is really no need to hire an attorney under normal circumstances. All the info you need to process the K-1 is available right here on VJ and the USCIS website. Save your money now and do it your self..Trust me you'll need the money later. Good luck on your journey. Mike

IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION ITS THE JOURNEY...AND WHAT A JOURNEY IT HAS BEEN

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

it wont be faster with a lawyer.

we used a lawyer for k-1 and it was actually slower because we had to send everything through him first and wait for him to finish things.

the only reason it would be recommended is if you think you have something about your case which may be a problem, in our case in was a legally questionable previous marriage (see confusing!).

but now that you have found visa journey, you are in good hands. you should be ok.

good luck!

Our Wedding Pics

There is always some madness in love.

But there is also always some reason in madness.

Nietzsche

12.Jan.2007..... Met in Ciudad Sandino, Nicaragua.

07.May.2007.... Started dating.

02.Sep.2007..... Engaged!

K-1

06.Aug.2008..... K-1 app sent to California Service Center.

11.Aug.2008..... NOA1 recieved.

07.Jan.2009...... NOA2

13.Feb.2009.......Interview passed!!!

20.Feb.2009.......Received visa.

21.Feb.2009.......POE, Houston

AOS

12.May.2009......Filed AOS.

21.May.2009......NOA1

04.Jun.2009.......Biometrics

18.Jun.2009.......EAD card production ordered

26.Jun.2009.......EAD card received

06.Aug.2009......AOS interview (st. louis) Card production ordered

06.Sep.2009......Wedding Ceremony and Celebration

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Gary must be sleeping.

:D

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline
Thanks to you guys for your fast replies. Actually I have so much things to do before I leave, like selling my belongings, find someone to rent my house, leaving my job, prepare my new life in the US that I felt it would be good to know someone else - a professional - would take care of that stuff. Are there many forms to fill in or is it quite easy?

Are you the USC? If not, your other half will have to fill out the forms. And also, the process will take somewhere between 3-6 months to complete possibly even longer. You will have time to look after the things mentioned during the process. If you don't want to mess with the forms, then by all means hire an attorney.

I'm Swiss/Belgian, my fiancee is American. I need to wait for my divorce decree before we start the procedure. And I just read I need to make this decree translated by a certified translator :-s

This is why I think my case is probably a little bit different than other cases... otherwise, I read the instructions for form 1-129F and it seems easy to fill in.

Other comments/advises are very welcome.

Thanks to all of you and goodnight - time to sleep here.

01 Oct 2009 I-129-F

19 Jan 2010 NVC received

20 Jan 2010 NVC left

05 Apr 2010 I-485 sent

14 Apr 2010 NOA received

21 May 2010 Biometrics

Timeline

Actually there are many on here with the same situation. You might want to check out the regional forums. You will find others in there from Belgium who can help you with the information specific to the consulate there. And, I forgot to say this in my first post, WELCOME TO VJ!!!

Don't get ahead of yourself, most of this paper work stuff you take care of LONG before you want to start thinking of selling things! You'll have several months of this process to spread out the work.

Lawyers can add another potential failure point to an already confusing process. Having documents in another language is not a unique case on VJ, and others have successfully had documents translated without the assistance of a lawyer.

I think that you and your fiance(e) should take a long, hard look at the guides here, and see if you think you can fill out the forms and such on your own. You have time to do this while you wait on the divorce - it has to be final final final (not just filed) before you can even start the process.

In our experience, MOST of the work involved digging out all the documents and information to fill out the forms. Unfortunately, even with a lawyer you still have to do all that work, the lawyer can't do it for you.

If, after careful research into the process, you still feel as though you'd rather pay thousands of dollars to let someone else do it for you (again, you'll still have to dig everything up yourself), please do a lot of research before you choose someone. The cheapest guy might not always be the best pick. Most of us here on VJ decided we'd rather spend a few weekends figuring stuff out instead of shelling out the cash.

I'm glad that you're excited about moving here to be with your fiance(e). Use some of that energy to educate yourself about the process. Taking the mystery out of the whole thing can really help to make it less overwhelming. Explore all the links at the top of the page, especially including the guides and the FAQs. You're lucky (like me) to have come across VJ before filing, so you have the best resource right here!

Good luck, and may your journey be a speedy one! :)

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Dear all,

Thanks for your help.

It is impossible for an attorney to accomplish anything faster than you can yourself. YOU have to provide all information him, which you could just as well enter on the forms yourself. Abotu the time you give him the information would be when you could could be mailing the petition yourself. Processing itself will take the same amount of time. You will get answers to questions here much faster than any attorney can give you them or even return a phone call.

No absolutely not faster.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Gary must be sleeping.

:D

I was, this post woke me up!!!!!!!! I was sound asleep and a little voice in my head said "Wake up! Someone on VJ is considering using a lawyer" OMG it was like a nightmare!!!!!!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.