conny

Is I-129F an immigrant visa petition?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I know I-130 is, but what about I-129F (K1 petition)? K1 itself is considered non-immigrant, but I have doubts on how to fill question #36 in DS-156 on another visa (F1) while K1 petition is pending. It reads:

36. Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?

On one hand it's clear what they're trying to find out and it would make sense to tell them about K1 (which my fiance is going to do anyway), but on another hand K1 is non-immigrant and therefore the answer should be No. Am I right?

It's a dual-intent visa. As soon as you have your NOA1 you are in the system and they can see what petitions you have open.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Of course they will see it, we have no intention to hide anything. But technically it's not an immigrant petition then why alert and confuse the consular officer by answering yes?

Edited by conny

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

the answer should be NO...

this is a past tense question, see the bolded word, its asking you, in your past, did anyone help you file for an immigrant VISA.

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Timeline

this is a past tense question, see the bolded word, its asking you, in your past, did anyone help you file for an immigrant VISA.

HelloWorld08, you probably misunderstood the situation so I wanted to clarify again - my fiance is not filing for K1 now, he's filing for F1 while our K1 is till pending. So the question is - do they consider my I-129F an immigrant visa petition for the purposes of F1 application or not?

Timeline
go to this side will tell you how to do the DS-156 form

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-DS-156.pdf

Unfortunately, jamall, it doesn't - we're not filing for K1, we're filing for F1 now, while K1 was filed long time ago and is still pending.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

That is not past, but rather present perfect tense. Past tense indicates a completed action, whereas present perfect tense indicates an action that was initiated in the past, but may still be occuring.

Conny you are correct. It is a non-immigrant visa and therefore you can truthfully answer 'no' to it.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

That is not past, but rather present perfect tense. Past tense indicates a completed action, whereas present perfect tense indicates an action that was initiated in the past, but may still be occuring.

:blink:

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

May I suggest calling the USCIS to ask them? I well know about them being a call center and blah, blah, blah...lol...but this seems like a simple question they could answer.

-Blu-(just to be sure)

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Timeline
May I suggest calling the USCIS to ask them? I well know about them being a call center and blah, blah, blah...lol...but this seems like a simple question they could answer.

-Blu-(just to be sure)

Which number?

-Blu-(just to be sure)

Which number?

1-800-375-5283

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The I-129f is a petition that determines the eligibility for an alien to apply for a "K" visa. A "K" visa is a NON-immigrant visa.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.