Mr confused

Pregnancy and medicaid

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

HELP

Need advice my wife and i are now married and waiting on the SSN so we may add it to medicaid is it a good idea to apply for medicaid or not or does it become a problem for her green card process :wacko: kinda confused since i might be eligible for medicaid i got 2 jobs and thinking of quiting 1 so i may be accepted for it though not sure if i should or not since my wife has a daugther of her own and expecting my baby soon to be son, can someone help me on deciding for applying for medicaid? thanks to all that will help in advance.

HELP

Need advice my wife and i are now married and waiting on the SSN so we may add it to medicaid is it a good idea to apply for medicaid or not or does it become a problem for her green card process :wacko: kinda confused since i might be eligible for medicaid i got 2 jobs and thinking of quiting 1 so i may be accepted for it though not sure if i should or not since my wife has a daugther of her own and expecting my baby soon to be son, can someone help me on deciding for applying for medicaid? thanks to all that will help in advance.

Here in Hawaii the petitioner can apply for Medicaid but they won't allow the beneficiary to do so.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I wasn't going to post anything on this forum until I had a substantive question to ask, but I felt the need to make a comment here. I guess this will be my first post. :whistle:

Mr confused selected K1 for his profile, but it doesn't say WHEN he actually applied for the K1. I got the impression from his post that his fiancee has already come to the States, and that they're already married, and that he's now applying for her SSN. His question is whether he should apply for Medicaid to help with the medical expenses associated with the birth of their first child, or if applying would affect her AOS application.

I'm no expert, but I think Haole is on the right track. The whole purpose for proving financial responsibility is because the beneficiary isn't eligible for public assistance.

I think the question was innocent (albeit uninformed), and I didn't see anything racist about it. I'm not sure he deserved the response he got.

(yeah, yeah, I know... timeline. I'll get to it soon enough. :D )

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I wasn't going to post anything on this forum until I had a substantive question to ask, but I felt the need to make a comment here. I guess this will be my first post. :whistle:

Mr confused selected K1 for his profile, but it doesn't say WHEN he actually applied for the K1. I got the impression from his post that his fiancee has already come to the States, and that they're already married, and that he's now applying for her SSN. His question is whether he should apply for Medicaid to help with the medical expenses associated with the birth of their first child, or if applying would affect her AOS application.

I'm no expert, but I think Haole is on the right track. The whole purpose for proving financial responsibility is because the beneficiary isn't eligible for public assistance.

I think the question was innocent (albeit uninformed), and I didn't see anything racist about it. I'm not sure he deserved the response he got.

(yeah, yeah, I know... timeline. I'll get to it soon enough. :D )

Exactly. My careful read indicates the same. The K1 visa process was successful, they are now married and waiting for the SSN. The OP wants to konw if their AOS processs will be impacted by having applied for medicaid to pay for the medical bills associated with pregnancy. The post says nothing directly about race or origin much less anything negative about race or origin.

We really can't know the answer to the question about impact on the AOS process without understanding the sponsorship scenario. Medicaid or not, the mother would be given the necessary medical care one way or the other. If it's provided through a means tested benefit, then the I-864 sponsors would eventually see a bill to reimburse the US Treasury for the expense.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

since im the petitioner and my wife that is in the usa now is the beneficiary can i apply for medicaid and not my wife or should i add her instead to the health insurance , i have 2 jobs and the only way to be accepted into medicaid is quiting 1 job wondering if by doing so and applying for medicaid would cause a problem to my wife that use to be my fiance could someone Help me decide which is the best way :wacko::blink:

Add her to your health insurance. When you signed the I-864 (I hope I have the right one, I'm too lazy to look it up) you stated that you could support her and she would not rely on public support, which medicaid is. Congrats on the pregnancy.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
since im the petitioner and my wife that is in the usa now is the beneficiary can i apply for medicaid and not my wife or should i add her instead to the health insurance , i have 2 jobs and the only way to be accepted into medicaid is quiting 1 job wondering if by doing so and applying for medicaid would cause a problem to my wife that use to be my fiance could someone Help me decide which is the best way :wacko::blink:

I think pushbrk answered your question. A "means tested benefit" is a benefit that you are qualified for only if your financial means (income and savings, generally) are below a threshold. Medicaid would count as such a benefit. He says your wife could apply, and she'd get the medical benefits as long as you qualified (by quitting your second job, presumably), but you'd get a bill from the government and be required to pay them back for the benefits. When you signed the I-134 you agreed NOT to allow your fiancee/wife to become a "public charge"; i.e., dependent on the government for support. You also acknowledged that you could be sued by the government if she did become a "public charge".

If you have health insurance on one (or both) of your jobs, I don't know why you're even considering Medicaid. Personally, I'd avoid doing anything that would put me and my new wife "on the radar" with USCIS. I'd go into debt up to my eyeballs before I did anything which I'd sworn NOT to do when I submitted my paperwork.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved from K-1 forum to Moving Here and Your New Life in America as a more appropriate location.

Offensive post and responses containing offensive post have also been removed

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Add her to your health insurance. The public system is for those who really need it

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

as of now i dont have eigther insurance in my first job and only get 20hrs from my second job meaning dont have a way to even make it for these i was thinking of quiting the 2nd job so i could get accepted into medicaid my k1 fiance that is now my wife is due in late may or 1st of june been wondering if i go for medicaid do we still get billed and get my wife in trouble for being accepted into medicaid other people that i talk to say that i could be accepted however need to quite the 2nd job i just dont want my wife to even have problems in the future just dont want to pay the 30,000 dls for haveing a c season and thought by going for medicaid was the best obtion thats y im now confused about even applying :(

as of now i dont have eigther insurance in my first job and only get 20hrs from my second job meaning dont have a way to even make it for these i was thinking of quiting the 2nd job so i could get accepted into medicaid my k1 fiance that is now my wife is due in late may or 1st of june been wondering if i go for medicaid do we still get billed and get my wife in trouble for being accepted into medicaid other people that i talk to say that i could be accepted however need to quite the 2nd job i just dont want my wife to even have problems in the future just dont want to pay the 30,000 dls for haveing a c season and thought by going for medicaid was the best obtion thats y im now confused about even applying :(

There's a part in the Medicaid application form asking if somebody in your household lost a job in the last 3 months and what is the reason. I don't know what will be the assessment of the case manager if the reason is resignation and they will likely going to learn about your second job resignation even if you will not declare it since you are giving them your SSN. Even if you will get approved, it will only be for you since your wife will be screened for the 5-year residence eligibility. The Medicaid however said, they can help when the baby is born; that is, they will pay only for the baby's health care and not of the mother's.

Maybe your wife can apply for WIC (Women, Infant, Children) program - the state where you live will determine your eligibility. A friend applied when she got pregnant while in the process of Adjusting of Status (she had a C-section) and she didn't mentioned to me if they're paying it back. It will not hurt if you inquire anyway. Congratulations on the pregnancy and good luck to your application.

Never ever say never

2207121_unsignedChar_1192234183843.jpgDSCF4044.jpg

an1cvdN0akF0610MTUzbHN8MDAwMDEzZGF8QWZ0ZXIgb3VyIEkgRG9zIC4gLiAuIA.gif

Your only choice is right after birth to apply for emergncy medicaid. If you look it up you will see that this program is free and clear of the AOS that you had to sign. WIC isn't covered under the AOS but it's not medical insurance. EM will only cover the the birth of the baby ( the day or days your wife stays in the hospital curing birth) You can apply for medicaid for you baby as he/she is a citizen and not covered under the AOS

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Go to the Medicaid office and speak to one of the representative. like others have mentioned you might be able to get emergency medicaid for the child birth, and thereafter as a us citizen your child can get medicaid without any adverse effect on your AOS application. Without that you run the risk of having a big bill coming to y ou from your favorite uncle sam asking to repay the money.

I had a friend was there on an F1 visas, she was planning to go back to her country and since she was having some complication her doctors advise against her flying back home until after the baby is born. It wasn't her plan to use the system but she got an Emergency medicaid (humanitarian)for the delivery and went back home soon after the baby was born.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Timeline

does these mean since im a us citizen and my soon to be baby son be a us citizen as well could these mean im entitled for medicaid thinking of going to talk to the people that do the examinations they might know more of my k1 visa since me and my wife are married now still a bit confused hopeing i get into medicaid without paying uncle sam the 30,000 :blink::bonk:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You and your child as citizens can collect all the benifits that are available. Your wife is a new resident and as a condition of coming you promised that you would support her and that if she ends up on need based benifits you will pay those costs back. It is part of the argeement we all make to bring our loved ones here . That includes medical bills.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.