Chamy and Gatita

what to expect when partner arrives

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It's been almost six months since my husband (then fiance) arrived here. I want to share some of our experience in the hopes that it helps those of you who are still waiting for Day Number One.

First, when you are waiting, it seems like everything is going to be so great when your partner arrives. It will be, but be prepared to weather some storms too. It's hard for your friends and family to understand some of the things we go through, and sometimes they make snap judgements or misunderstand your spouse or relationship. Knowing this in advance, you need to be able to filter out the non-supportive words from even your closest pals. You don't have to dump those friends, just don't go sharing everything for a while.

There were a lot of things I never considered before my husband arrived in the US, and same for him. It will likely be the same for you. No amount of preparation can cover it all, so give yourself a break when you feel overwhelmed or wonder what in the world were you thinking. You may have some friends/family who had misgivings beforehand, and told you, and you brushed it off. Don't sweat it, and if they are not a good listener or supporter right now, just give them space.

If you have friends/family who immigrated here, they can be really understanding and a great help. You can cry on their shoulder, and they are probably waiting to help or listen if you need it. When I was struggling the most, my Salvadorean friend, who's like an Auntie, listened to my guilty confession of "it's so hard!" without surprise or judgment. She said, the first six months are the hardest, for everyone. Dont worry! It will get better! Give it six months. These words carried me through some hard times, and maybe they can help you too.

Keep in touch with some of your friends from VJ. You may reach a point when everything seems bad but you think you can't tell anyone, cause it seems like everyone else is happy. Wrong!!!! Actually, they may be relieved to share similar experiences. It really really helps to talk to others who have a foreign spouse, regardless of the country, because you start to realize who profound the cultural differences are. What you subconsciously or consciously thought your spouse was an idiot/jackass/scardeycat/goofball/etc etc for doing, after talking with others you may come to realize there is a cultural gap that needs to be bridged. You bridge it by talking to your spouse, in a gentle, non blaming, explanatory way.

Realize that it's normal for your spouse to not trust your explanation of some things, and don't be offended. It may take a while for them to americanize on certain things. Give them some leeway, and try to put yourself in their shoes: its not just a location change, moving here involves changing a lot of long-held beliefs too. For example, my hubby won't use a debit card b/c "plastic is only for savings", thinks sun tea is very unhealthy b/c "the water sat in the sun", and believes firmly that when offered a sample at the farmer's market, you must make a purchase, or it's extremely rude. However, after chiding me for months for "slamming" the car door, he now admits that "all americans seem to slam the car doors." Ah, the little successes! And the more other americans that your partner is exposed to, the faster these little successes seem to come, so don't let them hole up too much if they seem fearful or resistant.

Remember that before your partner's arrival here, they may have been primed with all kinds of bad information about INS and our police arresting illegals and so forth. Don't think that once they arrive they will forget- their friends and family back home will continue to feed them with awful stories and rumors. They may not even tell you they fear harrassment or arrest, and they may refuse to believe that because you or a lawyer did all their paperwork, they are safe. They may feel profoundly unsafe, and not tell you. Even if their legal status doesnt trouble them, they may undergo a personality change due to the stress of all the changes in their life, for example, from confident and outgoing to timid and shy. This may lead you to wonder, what the hell was i thinking, and who is this person? Try not to belittle them or be angry that they have "irrational" fears like this. Don't worry! Back to the six month rule! Your partner will gradually feel more and more comfortable and things will really get better when they get their green card. (FYI, that's what the AOS application is for.)

At the six month mark, my husband and I have a long way to go to fully adjust him to the US, me to his customs and beliefs, and each other to marriage. It seems like things will really smooth out with another six months of patience and understanding. We have both come a long way. Remember to celebrate your little successes, and show your love and appreciation for their efforts! You are building the foundation of your lives together. Best wishes to you both. Remember the six month rule!

4.25.08: sent K-1 application

4.28.08: NOA1

5.14.08: touched

9.25.08: touched

9.26.08: touched

9.26.08: NOA2

10.2.08: at NVC, letter says our application will be sent to Guayaquil in one week

10.9.08: spoke with consulate, they have our case

10.13.08: Doctor's appointment

10.20.08: Interview READ THE REVIEWS!

10.30.08: entry: Los Angeles

11.12.08: marriage

11.25.08: applied for Social Security card. READ THE vj GUIDE!

12.3.08: packet and letter for interview arrived at fiance's mail in Ecuador- for 10.20 interview! ha ha!

12.5.08: received SS card in mail

1.9.09: sent AOS/EAD/AP applications

2.10.09: Biometrics appt, Sacramento CA

3.15.09: AP recieved in mail

3.26.09: EAD recieved in mail

3.26.09: AOS interview, Sacramento, CA

4.09.09: Permanent Resident card received in mail

3.11.11: Mailed I-751 to CSC

3.14.11: I-751 received by CSC per USPS tracking

3.14.11: NOA date (received in mail on 3.19) one year extension

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Some wise words spoken here. Thank you for sharing :star:

Our K1 Journey Timeline

06.00.1998 - Met Online

12.22.2008 - I-129F received by VSC

12.22.2008 - NOA1 issued

04.08.2009 - NOA2 in 107 days - Igors List #174

04.14.2009 - NVC sent to Consulate in South Africa

04.29.2009 - Consulate received

05.04.2009 - Packet #3 received

05.08.2009 - Packet #4 received

05.14.2009 - Medical - Passed

06.22.2009 - Interview - APPROVED

06.29.2009 - Visa in hand

08.06.2009 - POE - Boston

08.22.2009 - Returned to South Africa

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Americans sure do slam car doors. :devil:

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

K.: Si, man! What an elegant, sensible, circumspect post -- it should be pinned. I am glad that we are e-buddies regarding "C. & C."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
It's been almost six months since my husband (then fiance) arrived here. I want to share some of our experience in the hopes that it helps those of you who are still waiting for Day Number One.

First, when you are waiting, it seems like everything is going to be so great when your partner arrives. It will be, but be prepared to weather some storms too. It's hard for your friends and family to understand some of the things we go through, and sometimes they make snap judgements or misunderstand your spouse or relationship. Knowing this in advance, you need to be able to filter out the non-supportive words from even your closest pals. You don't have to dump those friends, just don't go sharing everything for a while.

There were a lot of things I never considered before my husband arrived in the US, and same for him. It will likely be the same for you. No amount of preparation can cover it all, so give yourself a break when you feel overwhelmed or wonder what in the world were you thinking. You may have some friends/family who had misgivings beforehand, and told you, and you brushed it off. Don't sweat it, and if they are not a good listener or supporter right now, just give them space.

If you have friends/family who immigrated here, they can be really understanding and a great help. You can cry on their shoulder, and they are probably waiting to help or listen if you need it. When I was struggling the most, my Salvadorean friend, who's like an Auntie, listened to my guilty confession of "it's so hard!" without surprise or judgment. She said, the first six months are the hardest, for everyone. Dont worry! It will get better! Give it six months. These words carried me through some hard times, and maybe they can help you too.

Keep in touch with some of your friends from VJ. You may reach a point when everything seems bad but you think you can't tell anyone, cause it seems like everyone else is happy. Wrong!!!! Actually, they may be relieved to share similar experiences. It really really helps to talk to others who have a foreign spouse, regardless of the country, because you start to realize who profound the cultural differences are. What you subconsciously or consciously thought your spouse was an idiot/jackass/scardeycat/goofball/etc etc for doing, after talking with others you may come to realize there is a cultural gap that needs to be bridged. You bridge it by talking to your spouse, in a gentle, non blaming, explanatory way.

Realize that it's normal for your spouse to not trust your explanation of some things, and don't be offended. It may take a while for them to americanize on certain things. Give them some leeway, and try to put yourself in their shoes: its not just a location change, moving here involves changing a lot of long-held beliefs too. For example, my hubby won't use a debit card b/c "plastic is only for savings", thinks sun tea is very unhealthy b/c "the water sat in the sun", and believes firmly that when offered a sample at the farmer's market, you must make a purchase, or it's extremely rude. However, after chiding me for months for "slamming" the car door, he now admits that "all americans seem to slam the car doors." Ah, the little successes! And the more other americans that your partner is exposed to, the faster these little successes seem to come, so don't let them hole up too much if they seem fearful or resistant.

Remember that before your partner's arrival here, they may have been primed with all kinds of bad information about INS and our police arresting illegals and so forth. Don't think that once they arrive they will forget- their friends and family back home will continue to feed them with awful stories and rumors. They may not even tell you they fear harrassment or arrest, and they may refuse to believe that because you or a lawyer did all their paperwork, they are safe. They may feel profoundly unsafe, and not tell you. Even if their legal status doesnt trouble them, they may undergo a personality change due to the stress of all the changes in their life, for example, from confident and outgoing to timid and shy. This may lead you to wonder, what the hell was i thinking, and who is this person? Try not to belittle them or be angry that they have "irrational" fears like this. Don't worry! Back to the six month rule! Your partner will gradually feel more and more comfortable and things will really get better when they get their green card. (FYI, that's what the AOS application is for.)

At the six month mark, my husband and I have a long way to go to fully adjust him to the US, me to his customs and beliefs, and each other to marriage. It seems like things will really smooth out with another six months of patience and understanding. We have both come a long way. Remember to celebrate your little successes, and show your love and appreciation for their efforts! You are building the foundation of your lives together. Best wishes to you both. Remember the six month rule!

Thanks! I agree with much of what you say. I had no issues with my family or friends but there are many adjustments, in our case not just from a new country but from going from a big city to a very rural area. Lots of things to decide and solve that she never had to decide or solve before. Lots of things to do and file and enroll and join and blah, blah, blah. Makes moving from one state to another look like a cake walk.

And I may add that your SO will depend on you for everything for some time, and it takes tons of patience and love. But I have never failed to appreciate she is with me every night.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

We just want to make sure the door closes!

J/K :D

Seriously good advice! I enjoyed reading that :thumbs:

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Excellent post and excellent advice. I will add that the first year is the hardest as you learn to adapt to each other and living with someone else in your/their space, but that every year afterwards it gets easier. We will be celebrating our 5th anniversary this year and I would say each year has been better than the one before at defining/finding our level of comfort with each other. While marriage is a partnership, it is not always an equal partnership - sometimes you require more from your partner and sometimes they require more from you. If each of you is willing to give 75% or more to the relationship all the time - or to the best of your ability at the times when you are the one in need, you will always have an overlap of giving to each other that will go a long way to sustaining you through the difficult times that do come.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

And just to add, yes I would agree with the 6 month rule. My wife has been here 7 months and it seems the last, maybe 2 months, has been really smooth and "normal". So for us, maybe 5 months...we were lucky. :) And it helped my wife spoke good English before arriving. Some of it also is for two people, single for quite a while, to adjust to each other and a life with a spouse...no different than any other married couple, but with the added stress of a new country.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

here's a question- has anyone lived in the US for a few months and returned on a K1 visa? would that make transitioning less painful? my SO lived here for 3 months when we met. he seemed fairly comfortable and eager to learn. i'm hoping this will make the move a little easier on both of us.

And just to add, yes I would agree with the 6 month rule. My wife has been here 7 months and it seems the last, maybe 2 months, has been really smooth and "normal". So for us, maybe 5 months...we were lucky. :) And it helped my wife spoke good English before arriving. Some of it also is for two people, single for quite a while, to adjust to each other and a life with a spouse...no different than any other married couple, but with the added stress of a new country.

this is my main concern--i've been single and have lived alone for 2 years....it's going to be quite the change!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Reading the beginning of the article I was expecting some major issues but they seem to be minor things. There will always be a period of adjustment when moving from one country to another, especially one that has older traditions and sentiments such as Ecuador. Think about it, Work is different, school is different, stores, the way things are done, las costumbres ( sorry can't think of it in English) basically everything. You get here and you miss the music, the TV shows, the food , is a pretty big adjustment for someone . I don't know how much I my fiancee listens to me, I 've warned her that things are different here, not just in day to day things but in the way of living. I think that Latin countries have a more laid back attitude than here in the US. I've seen that they will go out during the week to a get together to a rest or club and stay out till 2 or 3 in the morn and then go to work th next day, something I think which is not that common here. Or maybe I'm just getting old and boring ?? hahah My major concern with my bride to be is her connection to her family and her friends. She has all her family over there, Dad, Mom, 2 sisters and brother. She also has a group of close friends which have known each other since grade school and will occasionally get together. Here it will be mostly just me and her, I have few friends that I get together with and I see my family once in a blue moon. It will be a struggle for both of us, but that I think will help in the bonding with one another. All relationships have their ups and downs, and all have their moments. Things will get better, don't forget the feelings that brought you two together. Vane will be arriving on the 27th of this month, I will write as we go along in the continuation of our journey. Good luck and hang in there. Jorge :blush:

K1 (K2) Application
06-19-2008 I-129F sent (Vermont SC)
06-28-2008 NOA1 / 11-11-2008 NOA2
02-03-2009 INTERVIEW - APPROVED!
02-17-2009 Visa received (for both)
04-27-2009 ARRIVED IN MIAMI
05-30-2009 MARRIED (L)

AOS
07-30-2009 I-485/I-765/I-131 (CIS office Miami)
08-27-2009 NOA1 date
09-03-2009 Biometrics (appt date 09-23-09)
09-18-2009 NOA2
10-21-2009 INTERVIEW DATE - APPROVED
10-31-2009 Green card Received (for my wife and daughter) :joy:

ROC
07-21-2011 I-751 sent to VSC
07-30-2011 NOA1 Date
08-08-2011 Biometrics (appt date 08-26-11)
09-06-2011 Biometrics re-take (appt date 09-28-11)
03-26-2012 RFE – additional evidence / 04-19-2012 Sent docs
07-27-2012 Interview letter (appt date 08-30-12)
08-30-2012 INTERVIEW DATE - APPROVED
09-13-2012 10 Year Green card received (for my wife and daughter) :joy:

N-400

07-02-2015 N-400 sent to Lewisville, TX / 07-09-2015 check cashed
07-16-2015 NOA1
07-17-2015 Biometrics (appt date 07-30-15 / CIS office Oakland Park, FL)
08-03-2015 Case in line for interview

08-20-2015 Interview letter rcvd (appt date 09-22-15 / Hialeah, FL office)

09-22-2015 INTERVIEW DATE - APPROVED (Oath Ceremony date 09-26-15)

09-26-2015 OATH TAKEN. I GOT MY CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION :joy:

11-16-2015 Passport application

12-07-2015 US Passport received

12-09-2015 Got back CoN

N-600 for daughter

05-21-2016 Application sent (13 yo)

06-28-2016 Non-Delivery of Notice request sent since no receipt or letter with case # was received (reply rcvd on 07-13-2016)

07-25-2016 Checked status online: In Line for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

08-20-2016 Oath Ceremony letter received (now 14 yo) (date 08-27-2016)

08-27-2016 OATH TAKEN IN CEREMONY. DAUGHTER GOT CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP AND END OF THE JOURNEY :joy:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

On the mark! I was once accused of door slamming--but only in his car, not mine.

Chelsea and Arturo

2-14-2009: I-129F mailed to VSC

2-18-2009: NOA1

2-19-2009: check cashed

06-23-2009: NOA2 date

06-25-2009: NVC received

7-21-2009: NVC mailed out

7-23-2009: Embassy received

7/31/2009: Medical appt.

9-10-2009: Interview Passed!

9-28-2009: Entry to U.S.

10-9-2009: Civil ceremony!

10-30-2009: Mailed AOS, AP, EAD applications

11-6-2009: NOAs for AOS, AP, EAD

11-12-2009: touch for AP

12-1-2009: biometrics

12-2-2009: touches for AOS/EAD (after biometrics)

12-17-2009: case transfered to CSC (touch)

12-28-2009: EAD ordered, arrived 2 weeks later

12-30-2009: AP ordered, arrived 2 weeks later

1-14-2010: Greencard ordered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Very good post, thanks! Definitely worth referring to.

I brought my first wife (Brazilian) to live first in Canada (6 years in Toronto) and then the US (5 years in Sunnyvale CA).

She never really wanted to come to either place, and always wanted to leave. We had plenty of arguments about the cultural divide. In the end the marriage failed after 17 years. Geography was definitely a part of that.

But I'm not a quitter, hoping that second time around will be a charm. Can't wait for my Thai fiancee to join me here and spend the rest of our lives together absorbing each others cultural nuances :)

Filed: Timeline

Excellent post, Chamy and Gatita. But I agree with Kathryn that the adjustment phase is closer to 1+ years than six months.

here's a question- has anyone lived in the US for a few months and returned on a K1 visa? would that make transitioning less painful? my SO lived here for 3 months when we met. he seemed fairly comfortable and eager to learn. i'm hoping this will make the move a little easier on both of us.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help. It's much much more than being familiar with the area. It's the whole process of re-establishing yourself by dealing with the next phases of the immigration process, trying to figure out how things are done here..... obtaining your driver's license, SSN, bank/credit issues.... and on and on and on.... all the while dealing with the separation from everything and everyone you knew and loved. It's very traumatic, really.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.