RBAL_TN

Almost approved K1 - can get married outside US?

27 posts in this topic

We are almost approved for the K1 visa, and originally intended on getting married once she lands here. But we've thought more about 'eloping' per se and getting married somewhere tropical.

Is it an absolute requirement that the marriage take place on US soil? Lots of nice places in the Caribbean we could hop to for a weekend if we could. As an alternative, we might consider jumping over to Hawaii for a week as well, provided the K1 visa would allow it.

Thoughts?

K-1 - I-129F

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, England

• 18 May 2009: Interview - **APPROVED** (213 Days)

AOS - I-485

Field Office: Memphis, TN

• 15 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 131 Days!

EAD - I-765

• 02 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 141 Days (recommend do NOT e-file)

ROC - I-781

• 07 Nov 2011: Package mailed to VSC (USPS Express mail)
  • 08 Nov 2011: Package received at VSC
  • 09 Nov 2011 - NOA1
  • 13 Jan 2012 - Biometrics appointment
  • 24 Aug 2012 - RFE (bummed!!!)
  • 13 Sep 2012 - **APPROVED!!**
  • 24 Sep 2012 - Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The K1 is a single entry visa. She cannot use it to re-enter the US and entering as a tourist to adjust status is against the law.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

We are almost approved for the K1 visa, and originally intended on getting married once she lands here. But we've thought more about 'eloping' per se and getting married somewhere tropical.

Is it an absolute requirement that the marriage take place on US soil? Lots of nice places in the Caribbean we could hop to for a weekend if we could. As an alternative, we might consider jumping over to Hawaii for a week as well, provided the K1 visa would allow it.

Thoughts?

Hawaii is part of the US. No problem being married there/here.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thoughts?

Absolute

PS Hawaii is the USA

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thoughts?

If you get married anywhere before the K-1 visa is apporived and she arrives in the US, you will have to re-apply for a K-3 visa and wait longer. Yes, you can travel to Hawaii once she arrives here.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hawaii would be allowed (though look into it first- they may have a residency requirement or something before you can get married there!). For the Carribean, you cannot get legally married there, but you could do a quick courthouse wedding in the US when your fiancee arrives, then do a ceremony/ honeymoon there once AP has been received.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Thoughts?

Since K-1 is a one entry visa, you guys need to be married in the States. Consider Hawaii since it is one of the states and you both can fly there since it is considered a domestic flight.

Hawaii would be allowed (though look into it first- they may have a residency requirement or something before you can get married there!).

Nope, you and your fiance(e) simply have to turn up at the Department of Health building in person, with the fee and identification (usually passports) and queue for your marriage licence. That's it.

You can apply for a marriage license on Oahu at the Department of Health Building, 1250 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu. For information, call (808) 586-4545.

It's a really easy process - normally there's an admin floating around with a clipboard and the forms you need to fill in. Make sure you go prepared with your parents full names and places of birth (form requires this information). Take a number off the interview door and wait your turn. Unless you pick a really busy time, you're usually in and out within 15 minutes.

The only other point to note is that the license is submitted to the DoH by the minister/celebrant/registrar after the ceremony. If you want to get your AoS started quickly, then you will need to ask them if you can take it down to DoH in person to speed that process up, as the marriage certificate itself will normally take 10-14 days from the date of receipt back at DoH.

Hawaii is a beautiful place for a wedding - just allow plenty of time for traffic on the way to the ceremony! ;)

Edited by Brit Abroad

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

PS The only other recommendation for a Hawaii wedding is that you complete the form (with check) for certified copies of your marriage certificate, while you are still on the island. This should make it easier, and you'll need a few spares in case you want to change fiance(e)'s details back home or here in the States.

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi,

Me and my Fiance had also planned to do the same thing when we get our application approved....The thought of getting married in Hawaii sounds amazing! I have a question though....Do you have to have a witness present or do the people at the office act as a witness?

Thanks in advance

K-1 Visa Timeline

{April 3 2009 }-- Mailed packet to CSC via Priority Mail

{April 6 2009 }-- Received at CSC

{April 7 2009 }-- Cheque cashed

{April 8 2009 }-- NOA1 issued

{April 12 2009 }-- NOA1 Received

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch was the NOA2!

{July 28 2009 }-- NVC Received Case

{Aug 10 2009 }-- Packet 3 sent

{Sep 24 2009 }-- Called Department of State to check if Packet 3 was received in London - It was

{Sep 29 2009 }-- Called Department of State again to see if appointment date was Issued...it was!

{Oct 12 2009 }-- Going to have Medical in London

{Oct 16 2009 }-- Interview in London - Asked for a Police Clearance Certificate from Australia

{Oct 23 2009 }-- Sent away for Police clearance

{Nov 20 2009 }-- Received Police Clearance certificate

{Nov 24 2009 }-- Embassy Courier Collected Police Clearance and Passport

{Nov 30 2009 }-- Passport and Police Clearance qualified by Embassy

{Dec 8 2009 }-- Visa Issued

{Dec 10 2009 }-- Visa received in Belfast!

{Dec 14 2009 }-- Went through Immigration in Dublin and arrived in Indiana!

{Dec 21 2009 }-- Married 1000 Feet up in the air at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas

AOS Timeline

{Apr 1 2010 }-- Sent AOS, EAD and AP package

{Apr 12 2010 }-- NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

{May 12 2010 }-- Biometrics Appointment

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that EAD card had been ordered

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that AP had been approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I do believe she can not leave the US until she has her AP in hand.

You file for this and get this after being legally married.

I would just cut to the quick and run over to your local county courthouse and become legally married.

Then you can file for AOS, EAD, and the AP. Once she gets the AP, you can go anywhere in the world and have the most beautiful ceremony you can imagine (and pay for)!!!

For me, what's more important, having some romantic ceremony, or doing whatever you can as quickly as you can so you two can be together forever.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

Me and my Fiance had also planned to do the same thing when we get our application approved....The thought of getting married in Hawaii sounds amazing! I have a question though....Do you have to have a witness present or do the people at the office act as a witness?

Thanks in advance

witness requirement is state law dependent... check the local regs and see what they require

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you go to the virgin islands make sure you travel plans don't take in any non us stops. No changing plans on other islands. They get really fussy about that at times.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I know this might sound like I (we) are rushing into getting married, but as of May 1st we have known each other for 1 year and by the time she gets her VISA (we hope) it will almost be 2 years so we toyed with the idea of flying right into Las Vegas from China and getting married at one of the many chapels on the strip. Then spend a couple days there before continuing on to home to Michigan.

02/03/09 I-129F sent

02/19/09 P1

06/02/09 P2 (103 days)

06/11/09 P2.5

06/15/09 P3 sent

07/05/09 P3 returned

07/17/09 P4 sent

07/23/09 P4 received

08/27/09 interview - PINK

09/01/09 VISA in hand

09/08/09 state side

10/16/09 married

01/20/10 mailed AOS/AP/EAD

From sending the P1 to interview

189 days = 6 months and 8 days

05/05/08 Met Online

11/21/08 1st trip

01/23/09 2nd trip

08/22/09 3rd trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.