tyriun_j

Odd situation....

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, you didn't mention the lease or the employment situation in your initial statement. Have her obtain a letter from her employer stating the date he expects her to be back at work and that she is on holidays or unpaid leave or whatever until her return date. Definitely bring a copy of her lease and things like her renter's insurance, utility bills (most recent), etc. addressing how she is covering those expenses (ie. postdated cheques, etc. ) while she is visiting you. If she has a car bring along copy of her ownership proof, or registration or car loan documents or whatever as the vehicle will be remaining in Canada so it shows property left behind. Definitely have her include a copy of all of your immigration paperwork to date as it will provide additional evidence to a questioning border guard that she is aware of and intending to follow the correct procedure. If you have your NOA 1 by that time, include a copy with the package. Make sure she is familiar of what the next stage will be after the NOA2 (processing at the US Consulate in either Montreal or Vancouver depending on where in Canada she lives). It is her job to convince the border authority that she will not be remaining in the US on this trip and the stronger and more numerous financial and property ties she has in Canada and can provide, the more likely it is for the border authority to let her through.

Make sure she tells the truth at the border as well - she is visiting her fiance, not her boyfriend, because even a little 'less than full disclosure' of the relationship can be considered 'misrepresentation' and may come back to bite her. Be prepared to address how she will be returning home at the end of her visit as well and if you can provide evidence (ie. return ticket) all the better. Remember - a Canadian can visit no more than a maximum of 6 months so make sure she doesn't overstay even one day. If she is given a lesser amount of time, make sure she doesn't overstay as that will make future visits a problem. Oh, she will definitely need a passport to enter the US by June 1. Make sure she has one that is valid well beyond the length of time she is visiting because you need it for the K-1 as well.

One more tip: have her pack light and correctly - ie., don't bring winter clothes if you are travelling in the summer. Don't bring so many things that it makes it look like she is planning on staying for a 'long' time. I am sure her Dad would not want to have his big rig turned back at the border to have to bring her and her many belongings back home!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hey guys,

I have some questions regarding a situation. I am currently in the middle of a move to Phoenix, Arizona. My fiance is coming to stay with me starting in the first week of June after she pays off some bills and saves some money. We have discussed providing as much information as possible at the border since its a one-way trip. SHes going to provide her proof of sufficient income to support herself, as well as a copy of the NOA1 packet that we have been making. Shes wanting to stay with me for a few months while our NOA1 processes and we get the NOA2. SHe's also going to show her parents address where shes lives. I'm also giving her copies of my bank statements and paycheck stubs to show I can support her as well. Is there anything else we should provide? I know the more the better! Also, she is coming over with her dad. He drives trucks all across the states for his job. Is there anything else we should do differently for this? Our main concern is to not have Customs slap her with a small stay stamp ( 30 days ) so we want to reassure them that this is legit and we can support her while shes down here. If anyone has done this or has any helpful tips please share them :)

Thanks

Your intention is a one way trip.

You state that she will show her parent's address where she lives and show a lease agreement? Is she leasing from her folks?

You state she will have a letter saying that a job is being held for her. Is this where she is currently working and will return to work? Will the letter indicate a specific date for her return to work?

She's entering the US as a passenger in a commercial transport vehicle. That vehicle driven by a family member.

She will have documents showing immigrant intent.

And you want this visit to sound "legit" to a person whose job is to determine a foreign national's true intentions?

What you are seeming to plan is immigration fraud. As you state, that may not be your intent. But it doesn't seem like it will pass the smell test. As others suggest, your fiance needs a lot of significant evidence that she will return to her home.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I remember seeing a post about someone who tried to come to visit and was denied. The border control told them that the documentation they had didn't matter once they believed they were not planning on leaving. This has more to do with first impressions at the border control. However there are things that will change someones good first impressions into a bad one.

Return ticket shows intent. If you don't have one then you don't have the intent to go home therefor you intend to stay.

Remember each border control person is different and will react differently to what you say and some might allow you in without a return ticket. They only need to believe that what she is saying is true and that she intends to leave. If they don't believe her or that she is being deceptive in some way then they will deny her. Timid and shy people will get turned away more often than those who are outgoing.

K-1 Visa Timeline

I-129F Sent : 01/06/2009

I-129F NOA1 : 01/09/2009

I-129F NOA2 : 03/11/2009

NVC Received : 03/19/2009

Consulate Received : 03/27/2009

Packet 3 Sent : 12/23/2009

Interview Date : 03/18/2010 - APPROVED!!!

Visa Received : 03/20/2010

US Entry : 04/07/2010

Marriage : 05/04/2010 - WOOHOO!!!

-----------

I-485 Sent : 07/02/2010

I-485 NOA1 : 07/09/2010

She's entering the US as a passenger in a commercial transport vehicle. That vehicle driven by a family member.

Be very careful if you enter while traveling in a family member's vehicle.

If you are turned back, its likely your incident will be noted in that family member's CBP record and/or associated with their vehicle registration. This could cause extra scrutiny for them in the future when they try to cross the border. If this is a commercial vehicle that travels frequently back and forth between the two countries, this could be annoying for them and cause delays each time they try to pass.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey guys,

I have some questions regarding a situation. I am currently in the middle of a move to Phoenix, Arizona. My fiance is coming to stay with me starting in the first week of June after she pays off some bills and saves some money. We have discussed providing as much information as possible at the border since its a one-way trip. SHes going to provide her proof of sufficient income to support herself, as well as a copy of the NOA1 packet that we have been making. Shes wanting to stay with me for a few months while our NOA1 processes and we get the NOA2. SHe's also going to show her parents address where shes lives. I'm also giving her copies of my bank statements and paycheck stubs to show I can support her as well. Is there anything else we should provide? I know the more the better! Also, she is coming over with her dad. He drives trucks all across the states for his job. Is there anything else we should do differently for this? Our main concern is to not have Customs slap her with a small stay stamp ( 30 days ) so we want to reassure them that this is legit and we can support her while shes down here. If anyone has done this or has any helpful tips please share them :)

Thanks

First, I wouldn't show ANY of the things you suggested. NONE of that indicates she is planning to return to Canada. Best to show an employment letter giving her leave of absence for the duration of the stay, HER bank statements from Canada. If you mention it is a "one way trip" she will be immediately turned around. She can come to visit but she must return to Canada for her interview (at minimum) so it is not a one way trip.

I don't know. But the things you suggest seem more to prove she is coming to stay.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Hey guys,

Thanks

i hope things are going to work fine for you both. i have nothing more to add..i will say like some,the most important is that she can provide proof that she has all the reasons to be back..like the job.

i hope at the poe and later the usis won't screw you with that trip that might longer than a couple weeks.

Marriage: 01-26-2032

homesick: 01-30-2032

Divorce: 10-13-2032

you will stay married for 290 days.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Kathryn41 has offered you great information on things you're going to need travelling from Canada. If she's a Canadian citizen, this isn't rocket science. As long as she has ties to Canada, whether she has a fiance or not, she will probably have no trouble getting across the border. The posts about return tickets are irrelevant as you stated she is driving across with her father. She can say she's coming to visit. If she has a letter from her employer and the lease, no problem. They may or may not stamp her passport. Either way, why would they stamp it 30 days?? A Canadian can visit the US without a visa for up to 180 days a year. Giving her your bank statements, pay stubs etc. to show that you can support her for a visit is overkill...it just invites more questions.

Have you checked out the Canada forum? Visiting while on a K -1 is an everday occurance and it's talked about all the time. Visit us here for tips on making visits and the whole immigration process. There is also helpful information on the Wiki page here. I've provided links.

Best of luck! (F)

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Canada

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

"Our main concern is to not have Customs slap her with a small stay stamp ( 30 days ) "... That wouldnt be my main concern.. my main concern is being turned away completely and at that point you are flagged in the system.

The last time I crossed at the POE (Halifax), I almost didnt go through. I had a return ticket, but I didnt have a copy of it, just a confirmation # from the email I got from Air Canada.

I was going just for 11 days and they hounded me. And my proof was that I have a mortgage here in Nova Scotia, and I have my two children who I have custody and primary care and control of, to come home. But just because I couldnt show them my return ticket, I just about got sent back home... until they had me call Air Canada and confirm with them at the POE that I indeed had paid for a ticket to come home on the date I indicated. And that was with my ties.... and with me only being gone for less than two weeks.

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Another flag too Id see with this, is crossing over with information to send in for a K1, a lot of that same information is needed as well for AOS. If I were a boarder gaurd, Id be more inclined that you are staying in the US and going to AOS.

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

We have discussed providing as much information as possible at the border since its a one-way trip.

Sounds clear to me that you're trying to subvert the K-1 process. I would not advise you do this since you may end up getting stopped and banned for whatever time they do that.

I'd suggest she just visit and then return.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline
This happened to us when my fiance was trying to visit me. She was also coming from Canada (Vancouver). She was turned away and ended up having to buy a ticket from Vancouver back to Auckland, where she is waiting for her K-1 visa.

I imagine your fiancée wasn't Canadian, Ed. I can see where the officer would have been a lot more suspicious.

Tyriun, it sounds like you're going about things the right way. Here's a helpful link for you: Visitation FAQ's

I am one of many many Canadians who crossed the border regularly with no return ticket and no problems. I was completely honest in response to all questions, including that I had a K-1 in process and that I would be taking the legal route. Which included having to come back to Canada for the medical and the interview. Canada is not a third world country. Its citizens do not sneak across the border searching for a better life. The USA knows this and responds appropriately. As long as your fiancée is honest, answers the questions directly, and brings along the proper ties to Canada she will be fine. She is doing nothing illegal so she has no need to feel guilty. But, as always, she should have a backup plan in case she has the misfortune of an encounter with a grumpy officer who turns her away.

Have fun!

iagree.gif

Filed: Timeline
Another flag too Id see with this, is crossing over with information to send in for a K1, a lot of that same information is needed as well for AOS. If I were a boarder gaurd, Id be more inclined that you are staying in the US and going to AOS.

He says they will have already filed for the K-1 before she crosses.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
. I was completely honest in response to all questions, including that I had a K-1 in process and that I would be taking the legal route. Which included having to come back to Canada for the medical and the interview. Canada is not a third world country. Its citizens do not sneak across the border searching for a better life.

:o:o:o

oh my gawd...that's taboo!!!! never say that! you are going to be banned.

apparently, no ppl from the third countries do that or try to hook up with us guys just in order to get a better life and leave their poverty.

Edited by Ginger cat

Marriage: 01-26-2032

homesick: 01-30-2032

Divorce: 10-13-2032

you will stay married for 290 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.