tyriun_j

Odd situation....

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys,

I have some questions regarding a situation. I am currently in the middle of a move to Phoenix, Arizona. My fiance is coming to stay with me starting in the first week of June after she pays off some bills and saves some money. We have discussed providing as much information as possible at the border since its a one-way trip. SHes going to provide her proof of sufficient income to support herself, as well as a copy of the NOA1 packet that we have been making. Shes wanting to stay with me for a few months while our NOA1 processes and we get the NOA2. SHe's also going to show her parents address where shes lives. I'm also giving her copies of my bank statements and paycheck stubs to show I can support her as well. Is there anything else we should provide? I know the more the better! Also, she is coming over with her dad. He drives trucks all across the states for his job. Is there anything else we should do differently for this? Our main concern is to not have Customs slap her with a small stay stamp ( 30 days ) so we want to reassure them that this is legit and we can support her while shes down here. If anyone has done this or has any helpful tips please share them :)

Thanks

Pre-USCIS:

07-20-2008: Fell In Love

10/15/2008: Jami and I meet for the first time

1-17-2009: Became Engaged In Nova Scotia

04-01-2009: Visit to Nova Scotia to see Jami

06-29-2009: Jami comes to Arizona to visit

01-08-2010: Married in Fredericton, NB Canada

01-11-2010: Jami allowed back down with me after marriage for 6 months

USCIS JOURNEY:

05-20-2010: I-130 Packet mailed out! ( Finally! )

05-22-2010: Packet received at Lockbox

05-28-2010: NOA1 ($355.00)

07-07-2010: Jami went back to Fredericton, NB :(

10-29-2010: NOA2 ( FINALLY! )

NVC JOURNEY:

11-05-10: Case received at NVC

11-06-10: Called automated machine and got NVC case number

11-08-10: Called and changed Jami's address and added my email to case for corraspondance updates

11-16-10: DS-3032 email generated and emailed to us

11-16-10: AOS fee bill generated and emailed to us

11-18-10: Paid AOS Bill ($88.00)

11-23-10: Mailed completed DS-3032 through Canada Post

12-01-10: NVC Received DS-3032 and updated in System

12-06-10: Mailed AOS packet overnight express

12-16-10: Paid IV Bill ($404.00)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You need to provide them with evidence that she is definitely returning to Canada and not intending to stay in the US. Some of the evidence you suggest will actually raise red flags - copies of your financial information showing you are supporting her. They may well see that as evidence that she is actually moving in to live with you - which it does appear is happening. The problem will be to convince POE authorities that she is only living with you temporarily so you need to have a definite time frame involved - she will be returning on such and such a date. Without having financial responsibilities and ties in Canada - no job, no lease, no bills - she may well find herself denied entry. She is not allowed to 'live' in the US - she can visit only - so you have to focus on what evidence reinforces the temporary nature of her visit. A 'one way' ride doesn't do that.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

A few things:

FAQ: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-application.html#4.6

Be aware when there is a petition in process with USCIS immigrant intent is indicated and the POE can block entry to the USA.

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2008/09/14...-us-visa-rules/

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
You need to provide them with evidence that she is definitely returning to Canada and not intending to stay in the US. Some of the evidence you suggest will actually raise red flags - copies of your financial information showing you are supporting her. They may well see that as evidence that she is actually moving in to live with you - which it does appear is happening. The problem will be to convince POE authorities that she is only living with you temporarily so you need to have a definite time frame involved - she will be returning on such and such a date. Without having financial responsibilities and ties in Canada - no job, no lease, no bills - she may well find herself denied entry. She is not allowed to 'live' in the US - she can visit only - so you have to focus on what evidence reinforces the temporary nature of her visit. A 'one way' ride doesn't do that.

Well she is going to provide proof of her job being held for her as well as Proof of lease agreement. I'm guessing that providing a full copy of our NOA1 would support it too right? Shes not coming down her permentantly as we have already started the process but we do need to convice customs of this too. What would you recommend as good things to show them?

Pre-USCIS:

USCIS JOURNEY:

NVC JOURNEY:

11-08-10: Called and changed Jami's address and added my email to case for corraspondance updates

A few things:

Be aware when there is a petition in process with USCIS immigrant intent is indicated and the POE can block entry to the USA.

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2008/09/14...-us-visa-rules/

That story you link tells the story of someone coming here without a fiancee visa, intending on being married, and attempting AOS. There was no petition in process.

Umit, my Fiancee, just visited me in the US this past January. We were in the 1st month of our K-1.

She even told the POE officer she was in the process of doing the K-1, and she was given 6 months to visit me. (sadly, she could only stay 2 weeks)

She had a copy of our NOA1, a copy of the I-129F package, letter from her employer, and return ticket info. They only inquired about the return ticket.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hey guys,

I have some questions regarding a situation. I am currently in the middle of a move to Phoenix, Arizona. My fiance is coming to stay with me starting in the first week of June after she pays off some bills and saves some money. We have discussed providing as much information as possible at the border since its a one-way trip. SHes going to provide her proof of sufficient income to support herself, as well as a copy of the NOA1 packet that we have been making. Shes wanting to stay with me for a few months while our NOA1 processes and we get the NOA2. SHe's also going to show her parents address where shes lives. I'm also giving her copies of my bank statements and paycheck stubs to show I can support her as well. Is there anything else we should provide? I know the more the better! Also, she is coming over with her dad. He drives trucks all across the states for his job. Is there anything else we should do differently for this? Our main concern is to not have Customs slap her with a small stay stamp ( 30 days ) so we want to reassure them that this is legit and we can support her while shes down here. If anyone has done this or has any helpful tips please share them :)

Thanks

If you have not yet applied your I-129F packet to USCIS, why would you tell them about it? I'm sorry if I am reading this incorrectly. I am reading your story as this: she is coming to visit you for a couple months and while she is in the US you will file your I-129F BUT you have not yet applied. Is this right? If you have not yet applied through USCIS, I do not see why you should mention this at your POE at all, as it will only raise red flags for you.

I also agree with what others are saying. From what you say, there doesn't seem to be much evidence to prove that she is returning to Canada. How does she plan on returning? Through her father again? One option is to buy a return ticket that is FULLY REFUNDABLE and then to cancel it after the POE. If she is truely planning on returning to Canada then doing this is not lying in the least. It is simply giving them the evidence that they need. Her father saying he is going to bring her back over, is not evidence that the border control will believe, IMO.

Good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Timeline
Hey guys,

Thanks

If you have not yet applied your I-129F packet to USCIS, why would you tell them about it? I'm sorry if I am reading this incorrectly. I am reading your story as this: she is coming to visit you for a couple months and while she is in the US you will file your I-129F BUT you have not yet applied. Is this right? If you have not yet applied through USCIS, I do not see why you should mention this at your POE at all, as it will only raise red flags for you.

I also agree with what others are saying. From what you say, there doesn't seem to be much evidence to prove that she is returning to Canada. How does she plan on returning? Through her father again? One option is to buy a return ticket that is FULLY REFUNDABLE and then to cancel it after the POE. If she is truely planning on returning to Canada then doing this is not lying in the least. It is simply giving them the evidence that they need. Her father saying he is going to bring her back over, is not evidence that the border control will believe, IMO.

Good luck!

Due to a stupid shipping error with the USPS, I have to redo a few documents to reflect my Arizona Address. Our original plan was to send the packet out 2 weeks ago but the USPS lost my fiance's documents in the mail that she was sending to me. It will be mailed out before she comes down here. I'm going to see her in April for 2 weeks then after I get back, I am sending out the packet. It will be send out a month and a half before she even gets here so that will eb covered. As far as evidence goes, she will have a letter from her job, Proof of address to return to, family ties & sufficient income with her to support herself when she comes down. Is that not good or am I missing something?

Pre-USCIS:

USCIS JOURNEY:

NVC JOURNEY:

Timeline

Others can respond with more personal knowledge (as my fiancee never tried entering while we were doing the K-1), but in my PERSONAL opinion, nothing is better than a return ticket home! :) Again, others are welcome to disagree!

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

ROC

DCF Process

get a round trip ticket...

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

This happened to us when my fiance was trying to visit me. She was also coming from Canada (Vancouver). She was turned away and ended up having to buy a ticket from Vancouver back to Auckland, where she is waiting for her K-1 visa.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Others can respond with more personal knowledge (as my fiancee never tried entering while we were doing the K-1), but in my PERSONAL opinion, nothing is better than a return ticket home! :) Again, others are welcome to disagree!

Actually return tickets are disposable. One can just not use the return portion.

We had a return ticket, and it did not help us. Once the officers knew my fiance was in a relationship with an American, it was over for her. We had all the proof in the world that her visit was temporary (even had our lawyer put together proof for immigration that her visit was, in fact, only a visit), Nothing helped. I think some of this is POE specific. Vancouver was the worst POE I have ever dealt with.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Timeline

Actually return tickets are disposable. One can just not use the return portion.

We had a return ticket, and it did not help us. Once the officers knew my fiance was in a relationship with an American, it was over for her. We had all the proof in the world that her visit was temporary (even had our lawyer put together proof for immigration that her visit was, in fact, only a visit), Nothing helped. I think some of this is POE specific. Vancouver was the worst POE I have ever dealt with.

Oh I totally agree! I was never saying that a return ticket was the ONLY thing that she should have. He has already stated that she would have other things, but that she wouldn't have a ticket home. My point was that a return ticket home would be THE first step, IMO, for getting let in.

Sounds like you had a really rough officer for entry! :S I'm sorry! As others have stated in other posts, it is not necessary that you tell them about your K-1 petition in process, BUT if they ask, by no means lie! Always tell the truth, but there is no point offering up information that can only hurt you!

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

ROC

DCF Process

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Vancouver can be difficult or it can be simple. I was almost turned away once for not showing enough proof of ties, but was eventually admitted based entirely on a return ticket. The last time I went through the Vancouver POE I was asked two questions: 1) How are you today? and 2) Where are you going?. It varies wildly, so although you should prepare to have to prove yourself, it doesn't mean you will have to.

A return ticket will greatly improve your chances of a hassle-free entry. Of course the CBP official knows that possession of a return ticket does not guarantee it will be used, but it shows intent to leave the country - as will showing proof of ties.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.