kelzm

How's the job situation for people?

20 posts in this topic

In a couple more weeks I've been in the USA for 6 months. I'm currently unemployed, I was lucky enough to get some temporary work a couple of weeks back and am doing some part time work, in total though I've spent around 5 weeks or the nearly 6 months with some kind of employment.

I've applied for many jobs and had only two interviews. Most jobs I apply for I never hear back from, even jobs at places like the City or the County that have established HR people. One of the interviews I got to the final 3 and still haven't heard if I got the job.. that was 3 weeks ago, guess I didn't :blink:

Anyway. How are others finding the job market? I've expanded my job horizons farther afield from what I used to do in my home country but it's looking bleak right now.

Married: 08/05/2007

I-130 sent CSC: 08/09/2007

NOA 1: 09/05/2007

NOA 2: 02/19/2008

NVC case number assigned: 03/04/2008

Case complete at NVC: 05/12/2008

Case sent to Consulate: 05/28/2008

Consulate received: 06/03/2008

Interview & Approval: 07/07/2008

Passport with Visa received: 07/11/2008

POE San Francisco: 09/15/2008

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Kelzm I dnt know what really to do ................. i left a high end managerial job to come here only for my fiance but then life is so hard and work field is so unpredictable. I have seen many men here who work everyday with fears of loosing job. Thats like hell.... back in india i never felt that in my 8 yrs experience. I never got fired. As far as i know I can do down a bit but not like a collection person in a thrift store or store person in korgers. Job market is US right now is hell down .

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I got a call yesterday from a former Indian classmate who is losing his job after working there 2 and half years. He works with GIS for consulting firm but work has dropped off dramatically so when got rid of him. Worse, he's on an H-1B visa and has only two weeks to get a job or leave the country. It pisses me off that his employer won't tell USCIS he's still employed for a while. They don't have to pay him just cover him so he has a fighting chance to get a job. They own him that much for being a loyal employee who's losing his job because of circumstances beyond his control.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Not sure what industry or area you are in but here in the Northwest it's a bit of both. My hospital is still hiring, a nearby hospital, Swedish recently laid off about 200 support staff & execs (patient care positions were not affected) but are currently building a new hospital in Issaquah which will create 600 new jobs by completion. The main hospital down in Southwest Washington is doing well financially but has scaled back hiring, and south of the border OSHU is currently on a hiring freeze which is supposed to last through 2010.

So like I said it's a bit of both for hospitals at the moment but compared to other industries, we are somewhat in a better position than they are. (Though this may very well change as more people lose their jobs and subsequently lose their insurance).

I'll be interested to see how things develop in the next 6 months since we'll be moving and we'll both be on the search for new jobs.

Edited by kaffy

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I'm beginning to worry about this too. I recently got back to the states from Chile and it took me a month and a half to get a job. I'm a USC and I have a degree and work experience. My fiance will be here in a month or so and he (obviously) has no work experience in the US. He also doesn't have a degree. The bright side is that he won't be going from working a highly paid, respectable job in Chile to something lower-end here, because he doesn't have a "career" there. He's used to doing odds and ends type of jobs (he's a musician and an artist, so he does whatever type of job to make money and then his music is what he does to make himself fulfilled.) I think that he'll have many many more opportunities here in LA for his art, but at the same time he's never fully supported himself so I'm worried about that too. I think Latin American men are very similar to the MENA men in this way, they're spoiled by their mothers and their families.

Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The heart has its reasons which reason knows not of. ~Blaise Pascal

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Not sure what industry or area you are in but here in the Northwest it's a bit of both. My hospital is still hiring, a nearby hospital, Swedish recently laid off about 200 support staff & execs (patient care positions were not affected) but are currently building a new hospital in Issaquah which will create 600 new jobs by completion. The main hospital down in Southwest Washington is doing well financially but has scaled back hiring, and south of the border OSHU is currently on a hiring freeze which is supposed to last through 2010.

So like I said it's a bit of both for hospitals at the moment but compared to other industries, we are somewhat in a better position than they are. (Though this may very well change as more people lose their jobs and subsequently lose their insurance).

I'll be interested to see how things develop in the next 6 months since we'll be moving and we'll both be on the search for new jobs.

I am worried too. My husband lives in washington and he doesnt live in a city. He lives in a small town where there are only fishermen and shipyards for major sources of employment. my husband works at the shipyard and there are hundreds of people that work there (which is 80% of where everyone works). When I attended their holiday work party, they announced that they are lucky they havent been hit with the economic recession. I was pleased to hear that and that I know the company will be my last fall back if I dont find any other job. But this last week, about 150 people were laid off or fired. My mother in law is out of job for 2 months. I am soooo worried and my husband is considering abandoning our petition. I am already so close to getting my visa and I dont know what to do. He fears of losing his job and dont know where else to go. We considered moving somewhere else but washington state is in pretty bad shape for jobs. Some people I know that work at Microsoft are let go. so moving to the city is really unstable and its not even what we want. but small towns ain't any better. Looks like hospitals are the only ones hiring and i have no medical background. makes me regret not taking medical admin course in college other than legal admin course.

I dont even know how Canada's employment is like as I have been at my job for 3 years. I dont see a lot of lay offs in the news compared to seattle area.

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Funny you should say that, I was actually considering taking some kind of Medical Admin course as about all I see advertised are scam jobs or jobs in the Medical field.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
In a couple more weeks I've been in the USA for 6 months. I'm currently unemployed, I was lucky enough to get some temporary work a couple of weeks back and am doing some part time work, in total though I've spent around 5 weeks or the nearly 6 months with some kind of employment.

I've applied for many jobs and had only two interviews. Most jobs I apply for I never hear back from, even jobs at places like the City or the County that have established HR people. One of the interviews I got to the final 3 and still haven't heard if I got the job.. that was 3 weeks ago, guess I didn't :blink:

Anyway. How are others finding the job market? I've expanded my job horizons farther afield from what I used to do in my home country but it's looking bleak right now.

I applied for a ton of government jobs when I first got here.. most of them lazy b@stards didn't even bother to send a thanks but no thanks.. then again that's what I get for moving to hillbilly ville! I did after a about 2 months I think (it's been a while) get a response and got an interview then a job! It takes a while for Cities and Counties to hire people.. believe me HR are idiots, total idiots!.. if they had brains they'd be dangerous!

For us at least we have to keep a job posted so long 2 or 4 weeks.. take it down, review the applications (there were about 150 for my job back when there was jobs!) they then cut though the applications into.. no way and maybe. The maybe's make it to the manager or someone appointed by the hiring manager to look at some more. Many, many more meet the bin here then the real contenders come to the managers desk. These people usually stand a half decent chance at getting an interview. I've seen them go back to those in the bin and pick though just to be 110% they didn’t miss anything lol... In total I've seen the hiring process last as long as 3 or 4 months before they fill a position and I've seen them terminate employees that don't live up to expectations. If you go into an office find out who has who’s noise up who’s ####### and why, stepping on the wrong toes early in could send you back to finding another job!

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I am worried too. My husband lives in washington and he doesnt live in a city. He lives in a small town where there are only fishermen and shipyards for major sources of employment. my husband works at the shipyard and there are hundreds of people that work there (which is 80% of where everyone works). When I attended their holiday work party, they announced that they are lucky they havent been hit with the economic recession. I was pleased to hear that and that I know the company will be my last fall back if I dont find any other job. But this last week, about 150 people were laid off or fired. My mother in law is out of job for 2 months. I am soooo worried and my husband is considering abandoning our petition. I am already so close to getting my visa and I dont know what to do. He fears of losing his job and dont know where else to go. We considered moving somewhere else but washington state is in pretty bad shape for jobs. Some people I know that work at Microsoft are let go. so moving to the city is really unstable and its not even what we want. but small towns ain't any better. Looks like hospitals are the only ones hiring and i have no medical background. makes me regret not taking medical admin course in college other than legal admin course.

I dont even know how Canada's employment is like as I have been at my job for 3 years. I dont see a lot of lay offs in the news compared to seattle area.

I am in the same boat ............... when i came from India here and married my wife in 2008 the US scenario was different. It changed suddenly and we cdnt file for AOS for lac of money. We had sell some furniture & stuff to get some extra money. BUt then though I am skilled in movie post production the base level jobs has been outsourced to India, Australia, Singapore & poland. So though my wife is encuraging me that I will get a lot of jobs, i can clearly see here there is nothing. PLus they want Bachelors degree from usa and skill of 1-2 yrs. Where the hell wd i get that ? Plus I am not ready to take up trashy $8/hr jobs as in my life I have never done that and its a shame on me if I have to do that with all my expeirence & degree. I am really hesitating to apply for this AOS as i can see the future where there is almost no jobs in Ohio, where we live. Plus after getting EAD i wont be able to leave her and go to some other state to work as the burden on ongoing relationship has to be proved at the interview..... so its a hassle in all respects . I am all set and ready to post the AOS packet , but not sure of the future.

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Claudeth first worked at a major hotel and then a major department store. Both would always have positions open but right now neither is looking for help :unsure:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Here is my story. I came here a bit over three months ago, and I really did not have any great expectations in terms of job finding. I actually have not even tried to apply directly, but I went immediately through a staffing agency. I completed some questionnaires, made myself available all 7 days a week, kinda hinted what kind of job I wanted to get. It is really hard when you do not have any US work experience, because it seems they want US references more than anything else. I even applied as a volunteer in a local animal shelter to meet some people and get involved in the community in any way possible.

Two weeks after I had applied at the staffing agency, a temporary position was available, I went for an interview and got the position without any problems. Payment is not great, but honestly, I am not picky because my goal is to learn, get some references for future employment and get accustomed to American business environment. However, I did face some problems with certain new colleagues and it seemed like they were pissy with me because I came as a substitute for the lady that worked there for a long time. I felt like an intruder, and although the boss was really nice and helpful, the lady whom I am supposed to change was quite aggressive, rude, annoyed with my questions, that I almost gave up. I even complained to people from the staffing agency and they told me that some people could be so territorial when it comes to their working space sometimes, and that that is what happened in my case.

So, that is how I started. It would be cool to get something permanent with higher payment, but to be frank, I do not expect it any time soon, and I do not want to sit at home and waste my time doing nothing.

I'm doing a temp job right now, which I only got because our neighbour is in HR for the county. I have my name down at 3 staffing agencies, in 3 months I've heard nothing from them or about any of the jobs on their site I've applied for. I'm wondering how much business they have as when I was working at my temp job someone came in from Kelly Services asking if they wanted to use their services and offering to give them a bunch of hours free trial.

On a good note I have had two interviews. Bad note is nearly 6 months later I have no real job.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
PLus they want Bachelors degree from usa and skill of 1-2 yrs. Where the hell wd i get that ? Plus I am not ready to take up trashy $8/hr jobs as in my life I have never done that and its a shame on me if I have to do that with all my expeirence & degree.

degrees from foreign countries do not always equal degrees from US schools.

as for the rest of your comment, well, humility is a virtue. pride is not. dirty work is good for the character.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

I arrived in the US on the 18th Dec and started work around the first week of January. As unemployment is pretty bad in South Carolina, I find myself very grateful in finding employment.

Good luck to everyone in finding a job.

beach_1_001.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.