kelzm

How's the job situation for people?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I got a call yesterday from a former Indian classmate who is losing his job after working there 2 and half years. He works with GIS for consulting firm but work has dropped off dramatically so when got rid of him. Worse, he's on an H-1B visa and has only two weeks to get a job or leave the country. It pisses me off that his employer won't tell USCIS he's still employed for a while. They don't have to pay him just cover him so he has a fighting chance to get a job. They own him that much for being a loyal employee who's losing his job because of circumstances beyond his control.

You want your friend's former employer to commit immigration fraud? I'd reconsider that opinion.

Edited by Gerard

I arrived in the US on the 18th Dec and started work around the first week of January. As unemployment is pretty bad in South Carolina, I find myself very grateful in finding employment.

Good luck to everyone in finding a job.

How did you manage that one?? :) temporarily until your 1-94 expiry right?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I got a call yesterday from a former Indian classmate who is losing his job after working there 2 and half years. He works with GIS for consulting firm but work has dropped off dramatically so when got rid of him. Worse, he's on an H-1B visa and has only two weeks to get a job or leave the country. It pisses me off that his employer won't tell USCIS he's still employed for a while. They don't have to pay him just cover him so he has a fighting chance to get a job. They own him that much for being a loyal employee who's losing his job because of circumstances beyond his control.

You want your friend's former employer to commit immigration fraud? I'd reconsider that opinion.

Doesn't matter. I doubt he'll get a job so he'll have to leave the country. He might get another visa but why bother getting booted out of the country again in the future?

Edited by alienlovechild

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

I have to say I am a little bit worried. My education and experience is in the social services area and I think it will help that I studied and got my Bachelors degree in the US. I am wondering though if the demand for social services workers will go up or down due to the economy? The NEED is definitely out there due to the economy but I am assuming the funding is probably not. I think its going to depend on the state as well, but not all social services jobs are with the State. The only downfall of me moving to the US is that my profession that I am currently working in and will work in the US is lower paying than in Canada, the upside is that I will not have to worry about healthcare costs too much as my fiance is active duty AF.

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Other Country: Cyprus
Timeline

It really depends on what you do. I found when I first came here that they are not enirely comfortable with hiring foreigners they are not familar with or people from a country that generally has a lower number of immigrants because its an unknown quantity . I had a high demand profession and it took me a little while to get the job I wanted. Once you have broken into the American employment market and have some American experience they seem better with it. I have no trouble now. Of course you have picked a time where the economy is dire but there are stil jobs out there. You might have to compromise or do something less or different than you wanted until they feel more comfortable with the time you have been here, or just keep trying . A foreigner fresh off the plane makes them nervous as well, even if you do speak English.

My Journey for my Parents ) IR5

(Please note we have taken our time and we could have gone faster with the NVC)

I have 2 petitions running at the same time, I have not posted 2 sets of dates because they have been processed either together or a few days of each other.

Beneficiaries Embassy-Cyprus

I-130 sent 2008-09-27 to Vermont

NOA1 received 2008-10-03

Transfered to California 2 weeks before approval

NOA2 received 2009-01-14

Received at NVC 2009-1-16

I 864 bill/DS3032 received 2009-1-22

I-864 invoiced online 2009-1-22

I-864 paid online 2009-01-31

DS3032 received at NVC by mail from parents 2009-02-13

IV fee invoiced online and paid 2009-02-15

Returned I-864 2009-02-16

I 864 entered into system 2009- 02-26

I864 reveiwed and approved-2009-03-03

DS 230 and documents sent 2009-03-27

IV packet delivered to NVC 2009-03-30

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.