Sofiyya

Age Discrimination and Denials

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Hello all,

On the Middle East and North Africa forum we have been discussing the possibility of a K3 visa being denied soley because the wife is older then the husband. The impression conveyed by the CO is that a younger man would not normally want to be married to an older woman, so he must be committing fraud and will be turned away for that reason.

Has anyone here had any experience with this? Thank you in advance for your responses :star:

Edited by szsz

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm the USC and 20 years older than my Canadian husband. It has crossed my mind that it may look like I'm being played for a greencard. On the other hand, he's my fourth husband, so perhaps I should be more worried about being perceived as a polygamist.

In the end, each story is unique. If the relationship is genuine, and you have all the proper documents, you shouldn't worry. It may be that in some cultures a younger man would not want to marry someone older. But as far as I know, Consulate officials judge cases based on U.S. immigration procedures and not local customs.

Edited by Jersey Girl

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Timeline
I'm the USC and 20 years older than my Canadian husband. It has crossed my mind that it may look like I'm being played for a greencard. On the other hand, he's my fourth husband, so perhaps I should be more worried about being perceived as a polygamist.

In the end, each story is unique. If the relationship is genuine, and you have all the proper documents, you shouldn't worry. It may be that in some cultures a younger man would not want to marry someone older. But as far as I know, Consulate officials judge cases based on U.S. immigration procedures and not local customs.

:lol: Good sense of humour, but I doubt it would be polygamy unless hubbies one, two and three were all at the same time :lol:

On a serious note, scrutiny of age differences may be commonplace in all consulates as are other signals, regardless of local custom, but that its overcome with sufficient evidence of a bona fide relationship. I think certain conulates look at some of the classic "red flags" because of the higher incidence and frequency of fraud.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

See Jaci's post on this thread:

If I remember right, her then fiance was denied the K1 visa, and the consular officer later told her that he was too immature, or something to that effect. Jaci is a hero; she married her fiance and is still fighting the battle to get him to the US. (BTW...excellent interview advice in Jaci's post as well!)

Also here's another post from an "older woman" who did get asked about the age difference at her K1 interview:

To add my own experience....I am 12.5 years older than my husband. He went through the US embassy in Papua New Guinea for his K1 visa, and there was no mention of the age difference whatsoever during his interview. So in our case the "older woman" issue simply did not come up.

(And thanks for the props, Shonjaved!!!)

K1 Visa

April 1, 2005 ...... I-129F mailed to VSC

April 4, 2005 ...... I-129F received at VSC

April 5, 2005 ...... NOA1 issued by VSC

May 4, 2005 ....... NOA2 issued by VSC

May 12, 2005...... NVC sent petition to embassy

June 14, 2005..... Fiance received Packet 3 from embassy

Dec 20, 2005 ..... Interview -- visa issued!!!

Dec 27, 2005 ..... Fiance arrived in US

Dec 30, 2005 ..... We got married!!!

AOS / EAD

June 7, 2006 ...... Mailed AOS/EAD paperwork to Chicago Lockbox

June 8, 2006 ...... Realized that we failed to send passport photos for I-765;
awaiting RFE!

June 9, 2006 ...... AOS/EAD package delivered

June 15, 2006 .... NOA issued for AOS/EAD

July 1, 2006 ........ Biometrics appointment

July 3, 2006 ........ AOS & EAD touched

July 17, 2006 ...... AOS transferred to CSC

July 21, 2006 ...... CSC received AOS case

July 22, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 25, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 26, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 28, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 31, 2006 ...... AOS touched

Aug 4, 2006 ........ AOS approved per case status on USCIS website!

Aug 9, 2006 ........ Welcome letter received

Aug 10, 2006 ...... Green card received!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
Hello all,

On the Middle East and North Africa forum we have been discussing the possibility of a K3 visa being denied soley because the wife is older then the husband. The impression conveyed by the CO is that a younger man would not normally want to be married to an older woman, so he must be committing fraud and will be turned away for that reason.

Has anyone here had any experience with this? Thank you in advance for your responses :star:

Yes. It can be a factor, but is not in itself a good enough reason to refuse to issue the visa.

You may find more helpful reassurance and info in this old thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.p...opic=55028&st=0

Jaci - Florida , Ciprian - Brasov, Romania

we got married!

visiting 11/05

visiting for a month April 19 '06

visitng September 06

I love you Sweetheart!

Our Website

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

Well, I think the age difference is a well-justified concern for consulars...why? Because I see it all the time....For example: rich, old, white women, who come down to belize and find themselves a hot, young, black, man. There is a name for this in Belize...we call these guys "rent-a-dreads"....and it is a very sad situation. Some of these US women simply send them checks every month and the guys live off of them while screwing around on the side--and then many go through the visa process or try to, as the age difference and situation is often obvious to the consular....so why do they discriminate? because this happens all-the-time....i hope nobody gets all defensive about this, but it is the truth...and most (not all) of these women usually have been in several marriages, have kids, and have low self-esteem. This may not apply to the older women on the board...but seriously, when someone is marrying for a visa or money it is QUITE obvious--it is often the US citizen that is being fooled, thinking it's true love...the world is fullllll of great manipulators looking for easy prey..

....in general, I am not discriminant against age differences (btw, my parents have a 12 yr age difference, have been married 25+ years and my dad is an immigrant!) but then again, my parents are both white and my dad is an Australian--it is different for people like myself in interracial relationships...my husband and I are barely 4 yrs apart and we had the conversation come up with the consular once when she asked him "why don't you want a local, creole girl? why are you marrying a white, american girl?"....so there ya go...the suspicion, right there, laid on the table...but we don't worry because we do have all the "evidence," when it's true love, the consular can put you through anything but you don't have to worry in the end...

I-130 Sent: 4/3/2006

I-130 NOA1 Received: 4/10/2006

I-130 NOA2 Received: 7/17/06

NVC Received/Case Number Assigned: 7/25/06

AOS Fee Bill & DS-3032 Received: 8/14/06

AOS Fee Bill & DS-3032 Sent: 8/15/06 [uSING JAME'S SHORT CUTS]

NVC Revieved and Responded to our

"Choice of Agent": 8/17/06

--

I-129F Sent: 5/19/2006

Received by USCIS: 5/22/06 –CHECK CASHED on 5/25/06

*touched* 5/27/06

*touched* 6/1/06

*touched* 6/12/06

1-129F NOA2 Received: 8/3/06

Sent to the Embassy in Belize! 8/7/06?

Steven Picked up Packet 3 DIRECTLY at the embassy 8/18/06

Steven completed his background check and medical: 8/26/06

Interview supposed to be 8/28/06 but had to be rescheduled

Interview: 9/12/06: GOT THE VISA WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

FLYING TO THE USA: 9/13/06

.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not obliged to go to the Montreal interview with my Canadian husband, but plan to. How often are K3 couples asked to provide evidence of their relationship beyond the marriage certificate?

mermaid: I honestly wasn't trying to be funny ... polygamy is grounds for denying a visa. So I'm being careful to have all my divorce certs. Click on Jersey Girl for a picture of me and my husband. Tell me your impression of our ages.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'm not obliged to go to the Montreal interview with my Canadian husband, but plan to. How often are K3 couples asked to provide evidence of their relationship beyond the marriage certificate?

mermaid: I honestly wasn't trying to be funny ... polygamy is grounds for denying a visa. So I'm being careful to have all my divorce certs. Click on Jersey Girl for a picture of me and my husband. Tell me your impression of our ages.

You don't look a day over 25! ;)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
Hello all,

A polygamist is someone who has more husbands/wives at the same time.....if u got a divorce every time I dont see how u can be a polygamist. :huh:

Maria

Got married in Killeen, Texas on April 27 2004

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 12 2005 - Sent I-130 to NSC

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 7 2005 - Sent I-129F to Chicago

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Dec 5 2005 - NOA 2 - I-129F Approved!!! (28 days)

Dec 13 2005 - Application Forwarded to NVC

Dec 16 2005 - Application received by the Consulate in Italy

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 10 2006 - Sent "Applicant's Statement" to Naples

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

Feb 22 2006 - Medical and Interview

Feb 22 2006 - Interview... APPROVED Got the Visa!!!

Mar 2 2006 - I-130 case *touched*

Mar 6 2006 - RFE for the I-130 (Marriage Certificate)

Mar 14 2006 - Sent RFE to CSC

Mar 21 2006 - RFE received by CSC

Mar 30 2006 - Detroit POE - Got the I-94

Mar 31 2006 - I-130 NOA 2 - APPROVED!!! (170 days)

*°AOS°*

Mar 31 2006 - I-765 sent to Chicago

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 7 2006 - Vaccination Supplement appt. in Cleveland

Apr 13 2006 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter

Apr 18 2006 - EAD Biometrics in Pittsburg

Apr 22 2006 - I-485 sent to Chicago lockbox

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

May 3 2006 - EAD Approved!! (33 days)

May 5 2006 - EAC received (NOA2)

May 5 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

May 8 2006 - Applied for Social Security Number

May 11 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment in Pittsburgh

May 18 2006 - Social Security Card arrived in the mail

May 18 2006 - Interview Appointment Letter

May 31 2006 - Flew back to Italy

Jun 24 2006 - I-485 *touched*

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
when it's true love, the consular can put you through anything but you don't have to worry in the end...

From your keyboard to God's ears. I still don't think being reeeeeallly really in love means you don't have to prepare for an interview at a high fraud embassy.

I understand your point about the rent-a-dreads, but really, wouldn't someone like that be savvy enough to answer the questions in interview "correctly"?

I think so.

Jaci - Florida , Ciprian - Brasov, Romania

we got married!

visiting 11/05

visiting for a month April 19 '06

visitng September 06

I love you Sweetheart!

Our Website

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

people use people for greencards, not all, but some.. it's a fact of life... the manipulative eat the weak. but it is obvious that each consulate has a different way in trying to find out who!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
There is a name for this in Belize...we call these guys "rent-a-dreads"....

heheheh---haven't head that one in a long time!

But it's true. :(

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.