yellowbrickroad

Transgendered Person.....U S Citizenship

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well i'm happy to say i'm a Citizen. There have been many changes in my life, getting my citizenship, i have to admit has been one of the best. On thursday I took my oath. It took me a long time to gather my courage to go before the USCIS and have them review my life, then judge me to see if i'm qualified to be a Citizen. I am transgendred. I have faced a lot of prejudice, and there has not been a lack of people to let me know what they think of me and my lifestyle. I had put off applying for citizenship for a long time, because of fear that USCIS might judge me the way a lot of people have.

When I went for my interview I was so that i would be rejected, but that was not the case. The officer that interviewed was great. She never made me feel like I had six heads or came from another planet. I was able to get my name changed to. I know this must seem trivial to a lot of people , but being transgendred in most other countries is really a horrible way to live.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that there are really nice people working for USCIS............

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It is great to see you have been accepted for who you are and granted citizenship. Congratulations.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Congrats. Thanks for sharing your story. :)

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Congrats!!! Enjoy your new Citizenship!! :thumbs:

Citizenship Timeline

04.28.08: N-400 Submitted

04.30.08: N-400 Application Received

04.30.08: Priority Date

05.07.08: N-400 Application Check Cashed

05.09.08: NOA

05.15.08: Notice Letter Received

05.14.08: Fingerprint Notice

05.28.08: Fingerprint Date

06.18.08: IL Notice Date

07.24.08: Interview (8:40AM)

07.24.08: Oath (12:15PM)

AOS/EAD Timeline

12.26.08: Submitted AOS/EAD

12.29.08: AOS/EAD Application Received

01.02.09: NOA Date

01.07.09: AOS Touched

01.09.09: NOAs Received

01.10.09: Biometrics Ltr Rcvd

01.22.09: Biometrics appt

01.22.09: RFE Date

01.28.09: RFE Received

01.28.09: RFE Sent (Marriage Cert)

03.04.09: EAD Received

05.07.09: Interview Ltr Received

06.22.09: Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

great news! congratulations! :yes:

THE JOURNEY

03-31-08 - FILED for K1

04-16-08 - NOA1

06-11-08 - RFE on uscis website

08-12-08 - fiance started calling uscis every week cos he never got the RFE in the mail, requested for a new one

08-13-08 - touched

09-19-08 - touched

09-24-08 - touched

10-15-08 - new RFE finally in the mail (after hundreds of calls to uscis)

10-28-08 - fiance sent back RFE documents

10-31-08 - touched

11-04-08 - RFE reply recieved

11-05-08 - touched

11-10-08 - APPROVED (on uscis website)

11-11-08 - touched

11-13-08 - touched

11-17-08 - NOA2

11-24-08 - consulate received

12-15-08 - day 1 medical exam at SLEC

12-16-08 - day 2 medical exam results released

01-07-09 - INTERVIEW APPROVED

01-16-09 - visa received

02-12-09 - CFO

03-15-09 - FLIGHT

06-11-09 - wedding

07-10-09 - AOS

08-21-09 - biometrics

09-23-09 - repeat biometrics (argh!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Well i'm happy to say i'm a Citizen. There have been many changes in my life, getting my citizenship, i have to admit has been one of the best. On thursday I took my oath. It took me a long time to gather my courage to go before the USCIS and have them review my life, then judge me to see if i'm qualified to be a Citizen. I am transgendred. I have faced a lot of prejudice, and there has not been a lack of people to let me know what they think of me and my lifestyle. I had put off applying for citizenship for a long time, because of fear that USCIS might judge me the way a lot of people have.

When I went for my interview I was so that i would be rejected, but that was not the case. The officer that interviewed was great. She never made me feel like I had six heads or came from another planet. I was able to get my name changed to. I know this must seem trivial to a lot of people , but being transgendred in most other countries is really a horrible way to live.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that there are really nice people working for USCIS............

It was a good feeling for my wife as well of Colombian roots to be told, now she is a USC, exactly the same as if she was born here. A certain degree of prejudiced does exist for people from Latin American countries. But she held her head up high even before her USC, was always nice to people, with that wonderful smile she has. But being a USC has given her a sense of belonging to this country, actually with more knowledge of our history and government then the average American.

Hope you feel far more comfortable now. But not exactly sure of your choice of the word, transgendred, transgendered? that tends to infer heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, polysexual, or asexual oriented, a deviation of one's gender.

I certainly have not learned Spanish the way my wife had to learn English, she told me that "Sí querida" is the only Spanish I need to learn. LOL, what does mean?

Anyway, you are one of us now, just like you were born here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Hope you feel far more comfortable now. But not exactly sure of your choice of the word, transgendred, transgendered? that tends to infer heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, polysexual, or asexual oriented, a deviation of one's gender.

I certainly have not learned Spanish the way my wife had to learn English, she told me that "Sí querida" is the only Spanish I need to learn. LOL, what does mean?

Felicidades Yellowbrickroad! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

NickD, "si querida" means yes dear.

Also, it's probably a good idea to think less about transgender as a deviation when referring to sexuality and gender. Transgender refers to gender and not necessarily sexuality. That is, gender and sexuality are two different things. A transgendered person feels more comfortable as a different gender and has not necessarily undergone any form of surgery to change his/her anatomy.

Edited by VivaBaños

Time Line

2007-11-10.....Marriage in Ecuador

2008-01-11.....I-130 Sent

2008-04-28.....I-130 Approved

2008-05-02.....NVC Received

2008-08-20.....Case Complete at NVC

2008-10-14.....Interview--221g, asked to present joint sponsor inspite of NVC approval

2008-11-07.....Visa due to arrive. DHL truck delivering visa was robbed, Consulate required us to present I-864s and DS-230 again, had to get a new passport and other related documents

2008-11-14.....Presented all new documents in person at Consulate, visa printed same day

2008-11-25.....POE Atlanta

2008-12-26.....Green Card and 2nd Welcome Letter arrive

2010-09-02.....Date of NOA ROC 1-751

2010-12-13.....Approval of ROC

2011-01-12.....10 year Permanent Resident card arrived

2011-12-20.....N-400 Application mailed

2011-12-29.....NOA

2012-02-02.....Walk-in biometrics (appt was for 2/16)

2012-04-17.....Interview

2012-05-18.....Naturalization Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Felicidades Yellowbrickroad! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

NickD, "si querida" means yes dear.

Also, it's probably a good idea to think less about transgender as a deviation when referring to sexuality and gender. Transgender refers to gender and not necessarily sexuality. That is, gender and sexuality are two different things. A transgendered person feels more comfortable as a different gender and has not necessarily undergone any form of surgery to change his/her anatomy.

Ha, you mean I have been replying "yes dear" all these years? No wonder why my wife is so happy, LOL. Adele is another word, my fellow UCS males use quite a bit with their Spanish speaking wives. We get together every so often to exchange notes, marrying a Spanish woman has opened new doors for me.

Perhaps the OP should have used the word, uncomfortable instead of transgendered, love it when my doctor says, this may be uncomfortable when he sticks his big hand up my butt, LOL.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.