yellowbrickroad

Transgendered Person.....U S Citizenship

23 posts in this topic

Congrats!!! Im really glad that things work out well for you over there in US. I agree with you that life can be not so great as transgenders in other countries, at the least the ones ive seen/came across with.. there seem to be a lot of hardship and not enough support.. :) anyways, have a great 2009!

NickD :) the OP is not uncomfortable.. in fact she just told us in her original post how comfortable and welcomed she was that there were nice USCIS people.. ;)

.png

Well i'm happy to say i'm a Citizen. There have been many changes in my life, getting my citizenship, i have to admit has been one of the best. On thursday I took my oath. It took me a long time to gather my courage to go before the USCIS and have them review my life, then judge me to see if i'm qualified to be a Citizen. I am transgendred. I have faced a lot of prejudice, and there has not been a lack of people to let me know what they think of me and my lifestyle. I had put off applying for citizenship for a long time, because of fear that USCIS might judge me the way a lot of people have.

When I went for my interview I was so that i would be rejected, but that was not the case. The officer that interviewed was great. She never made me feel like I had six heads or came from another planet. I was able to get my name changed to. I know this must seem trivial to a lot of people , but being transgendred in most other countries is really a horrible way to live.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that there are really nice people working for USCIS............

Felicidades. It makes me so happy to know that you had a good experience with US govt officials. Also congrats for having the courage to go before them and tell your story. I'm sure that was difficult, but courage in the face of adversity is something we all could use a bit more of!

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-02-15 (Day 1) Filed I-130 for CR-1

2008-02-20 (Day 6) Received RFE

2008-02-21 (Day 7) Returned RFE

2008-02-26 (Day 12) Credit card charged $355

2008-05-15 (Day 92) Received RFE

2008-05-16 (Day 93) Returned RFE

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

2008-06-17 (Day 125) RFE interview

2008-06-23 (Day 131) Received Packet 3

2008-06-24 (Day 132) Returned Checklist, DS-230

2008-07-03 (Day 141) Received Packet 4

2008-07-09 (Day 147) Medical (approved)

2008-07-18 (Day 158) Interview (approved)

2008-07-22 (Day 162) Passport and visa in hand

2008-07-25 (Day 165) POE - Atlanta, GA

ROC

2010-05-25 (Day 1) Mailed off I-751, check, and evidence to VSC

2010-06-07 (Day 15) Received NOA1, dated 2010-05-27

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Mailed off request for new appointment date

2011-05-23 (Day 363) Biometrics appointment

2011-07-11 (Day 412) Conditions Removed

N-400

2012-10-23 (Day 1) Mailed N-400 Application (PHX)

2012-12-06 (Day 44) Biometrics appointment (PHX)

2013-01-29 (Day 98) Interview (approved)

Well i'm happy to say i'm a Citizen. There have been many changes in my life, getting my citizenship, i have to admit has been one of the best. On thursday I took my oath. It took me a long time to gather my courage to go before the USCIS and have them review my life, then judge me to see if i'm qualified to be a Citizen. I am transgendred. I have faced a lot of prejudice, and there has not been a lack of people to let me know what they think of me and my lifestyle. I had put off applying for citizenship for a long time, because of fear that USCIS might judge me the way a lot of people have.

When I went for my interview I was so that i would be rejected, but that was not the case. The officer that interviewed was great. She never made me feel like I had six heads or came from another planet. I was able to get my name changed to. I know this must seem trivial to a lot of people , but being transgendred in most other countries is really a horrible way to live.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that there are really nice people working for USCIS............

Congrats!

and for what it's worth, they only reject people with seven heads and they had to have come from another planet...

so no worries there :lol:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
Perhaps the OP should have used the word, uncomfortable instead of transgendered, love it when my doctor says, this may be uncomfortable when he sticks his big hand up my butt, LOL.

"Uncomfortable" is not the same as "transgendered". The original poster was born a man, but felt like a woman all her life. She had a lot of obstacles to overcome to be accepted as who she is. And she had a long way to finally adjust her outside (body) to her inside (soul). She no longer is a man but a woman, inside and out.

I hope I explained this right and we have cleared up the meaning of the word "transgendered". Maybe yellowbrickroad has a few words to add.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hummm, .... The best way I can define it is, I was born male , never felt comfortable. As soon as i could leave home changed as much as i could to be as close as i could to being female, < I know... confusing...please forgive my english.

As you can see from everyones response,, confusing. I'm the grey in a black and white world, the square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

It's funny, I live in New Orleans , I was here during Katrina. I was one of the foolish who stayed. Never thought it was to reallygoing to hit here.... The truth, I was more scared of the USCIS. The decsion of the IO, the power of the pen. My whole life, could have taken such a turn. It humbles me. Looking back at the interview, i have to laugh at my self... I was so nervous, I'm sure the officer thought i had Palsy, my hand ws shaking so bad. Then signing a whole new name. The photograph has to be signed at the interview with the new name. Well i screwed that one up. The IO helped me earse the scribble off the two photos i signed. This forum was very thereputic for me. It helped me so much. Just reading it , everyone encouraging everyone.

So, Good luck everyone...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hummm, .... The best way I can define it is, I was born male , never felt comfortable. As soon as i could leave home changed as much as i could to be as close as i could to being female, < I know... confusing...please forgive my english.

As you can see from everyones response,, confusing. I'm the grey in a black and white world, the square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

It's funny, I live in New Orleans , I was here during Katrina. I was one of the foolish who stayed. Never thought it was to reallygoing to hit here.... The truth, I was more scared of the USCIS. The decsion of the IO, the power of the pen. My whole life, could have taken such a turn. It humbles me. Looking back at the interview, i have to laugh at my self... I was so nervous, I'm sure the officer thought i had Palsy, my hand ws shaking so bad. Then signing a whole new name. The photograph has to be signed at the interview with the new name. Well i screwed that one up. The IO helped me earse the scribble off the two photos i signed. This forum was very thereputic for me. It helped me so much. Just reading it , everyone encouraging everyone.

So, Good luck everyone...

LOL, thanks for explaining that, your posted photo and handle threw me off. Wife was born a woman, still is a woman, but was treated as a second class citizen in her culture. She has new freedoms here and likes it.

Yes going into a USCIS field office loaded with armed guards can be intimidating, still wondering exactly what they are protecting. Is is that portrait of GWB, ha, that is coming down soon. Or is it the folding chairs? Has to be the folding chairs in the waiting room, rather uncomfortable, wouldn't steal one anyway. Ha, wouldn't even take on if they gave it to me.

Hi, yellowbrickroad

Congratulation on becoming US Citizen!

No matter how you look, you are one of blessing soul from God! :star:

People can have prejudice, but that prejudice is not coming from the God any way.

We don't have a right to judge somebody else by discriminating them.

I'm sure you went through all tough time, but at least, some people understand your choice, and respect you as equal human.

It is irony how we abuse the name of God for our own prejudice. :angry:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.