Ling Ling

Do Fairy Tales and Romantic Movies Skew Marriage Expectations

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I've always had this theory that growing up with fairy tales and romantic movies skews the realistic perception of a perfect marriage.

I mean, the prince proposes to the princess, they live happily ever after....and you never hear about the disagreements and late night dicussions

they had in order to "live happily ever after".

I think most grown ups have been exposed enough to stories, movies and real life that show a different view of marriage...unless they've lived a sheltered life. Just like the belief in Santa - the fantasy doesn't last into adulthood....or if it does, that person has issues.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I've always had this theory that growing up with fairy tales and romantic movies skews the realistic perception of a perfect marriage.

I mean, the prince proposes to the princess, they live happily ever after....and you never hear about the disagreements and late night dicussions

Um.

No.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Whaddya mean Cinderella's not true! But those cute singing mice - I sooo wanted to meet them as did my cat!

Timeline:

3/11/08 I 129 F filed

3/20/08 NOA1

6/20/08 NOA2

7/05/08 Packet 3

12/22/08 Interview

12/29/08 Visa Delivered

1/26/08 POE

3/20/08 Wedding

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

This may not answer your question, but along the the lines of "happily ever after in fairy tales," you should read the comic book series "Fables." It's an entirely new and different look at fairly tales (and the characters in them), some of which is quite shocking to those who've only seen the Disney versions.

Sounds cool....I'll try to check it out. Thanks.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Marriage is what we make of it....i love my husband, we have a beautiful wonderful marriage....but its hardly a fairy tale as we do argue and disagree

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

When someone says, I have a fairy tale marriage...it makes me think that when the prince forgets to put down the toilet seat, he'll no longer be considered the perfect prince. I think, as some have said, you can be as happy as a fairy tale, but that you have to work at it.

It takes a LOT of work....not 50/50 but 100% from each side. Happily ever after is sometimes filled with arguments, late night discussions,

sleeping on the couch, crying, venting on VJ, etc. Happily ever after is hard work and compromise by both spouses. Happily ever after is not a destination, but a journey.

Happily ever after is not the absence of difficulty, but the ability to overcome difficulty.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
When someone says, I have a fairy tale marriage...it makes me think that when the prince forgets to put down the toilet seat, he'll no longer be considered the perfect prince. I think, as some have said, you can be as happy as a fairy tale, but that you have to work at it.

It takes a LOT of work....not 50/50 but 100% from each side. Happily ever after is sometimes filled with arguments, late night discussions,

sleeping on the couch, crying, venting on VJ, etc. Happily ever after is hard work and compromise by both spouses. Happily ever after is not a destination, but a journey.

Happily ever after is not the absence of difficulty, but the ability to overcome difficulty.

Hi Ling Ling,

Yep, a lot of work... :) Thanks so much for all of your posts in my thread. You've been very helpful.

well, sometimes I'd just love to strangle him....but most of the times I just simply love him

(I'm sure he'd say the same about me,though... :blush: )

07-25-07 petition sent

08-07-07 NOA1

01-23-08 NOA2, 182 days after filing

02-11-08 medical

03-04-08 interview in Frankfurt---approved!

03-11-8 Visa in hand --- what a heck of a procedure for this little sticker ;-)

06-16-08 flight to IAD

07-11-08 Wedding in Santa Barbara, CA

08-07-8 AOS package sent

08-10-08 AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox

08-14-08 check cashed

08-13-08 NOA1 for EAD,AP,AOS

09-03-08 Biometrics appointment

10-02-08 Case transferred to CSC

10-16-08 EAD and AP approved

01-26-09 AOS approved w/o interview

01-31-09 PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED

02-11-11 Biometric Appointment for Removing of Conditions

Our Wedding Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rahela07/OurWedding07112008

• 11 months later...

Nope, I don't live in fairy tale because my mom/dad doesn't read me those stories when I was little. LOL But I kinda live like those in romantic novel books I have been addicted when I was in high school til' college. But good thing about it...it has more realistic drama and lessons in life that could be useful in dealing the real world. Well as far as the romantic movies...most of them are based on a real life experience. And I could say, if someone will be interested to buy our love story...I can guarantee you, it will be a blockbuster movie! ;) Too much drama, comedy, miracles, suspense and even war LOL

Edited by ellmvl

ZlYHm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
It's all fun & games until the missus gets a hold of a 9-iron.

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

I've always told my buddies when they met a really hot chick and are now head over heels in love - "picture her first thing in the morning taking a big ol' dump.... while on her period. If you still love her then, go for it!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

These two clips say it all:

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence