zqt3344

Renewing Driver License Before 2 yr Green Card Expires in Missouri

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Anyone have

A) first hand experience renewing driver license 9 months before 2 year GC expires

B) or first hand knowledge of how it works if renewing Missouri driver license(which expires in January 2009 after 1 year and has to be renewed again) 9 months before 2 yr GC expires?

Hopefully someone with this experience in Missouri is able to relate to this with some helpful advice or information. Any pitfalls or tips or experience from this would be much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Anyone have

A) first hand experience renewing driver license 9 months before 2 year GC expires

B) or first hand knowledge of how it works if renewing Missouri driver license(which expires in January 2009 after 1 year and has to be renewed again) 9 months before 2 yr GC expires?

Hopefully someone with this experience in Missouri is able to relate to this with some helpful advice or information. Any pitfalls or tips or experience from this would be much appreciated.

I'm not in Missouri but I have read in the past that people have got the stamp via infopass or used their NOA extension to renew their license. Luckily either it's a Florida thing or the people at the DMV made a mistake with mine in that they give me a DL good for a few years and ignored when my GC expires!

Good luck!

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Luckily either it's a Florida thing or the people at the DMV made a mistake with mine in that they give me a DL good for a few years and ignored when my GC expires!

i don't think that was a mistake.. cause same here. i renewed my driver license 2 years ago wth my conditional card which expired March 2008.They gave me DL good till 2011..

animated_us_flag.gifN-400 Naturalization

03/23/09 Sent N-400 to Lewisville, Texas by UPS

03/25/09 delivered

03/30/09 check cashed

03/31/09 NOA

04/03/09 Touched

04/24/09 Biometrics

07/18/09 Interview letter received

08/19/09 Interview -*APPROVED*

08/27/09 Oath date -** US CITIZEN **

09/01/09 Applied for passport

09/14/09 Passport Received !!!

Timeline
Luckily either it's a Florida thing or the people at the DMV made a mistake with mine in that they give me a DL good for a few years and ignored when my GC expires!

i don't think that was a mistake.. cause same here. i renewed my driver license 2 years ago wth my conditional card which expired March 2008.They gave me DL good till 2011..

Interesting, wonder if here in Missouri they actually noticed the GC expiration or if when applying and paying for the driver license a person can opt for 2 or 3 year period and just pay the extra fee, may have only given a 1 yr driver license due to not opting for the 2 or 3 year choice. Guess time will tell here in about month and find out, thus that is why I was wondering if anyone else had went through this yet and how it worked for them. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck in renewing your DL - here in Georgia it is only renewed to the length of time left on your immigration document - since mine expired after I filed for Removal of Conditions my renewal was only good until the date stamped on the I-551 in my passport - 10 1/2 months.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Same in CA. DMV only extended my DL for another year based on my NOA 1 for Removing condition. They asked me to mail in a form to renew my DL. Then after 3 weeks and I got nothing and I called DMV. They told me they JUST renewed my DL in the system the previous day for a year but it will take up to another 3 weeks for them to mail the new one to me. My DL will expire tomorrow and I still haven't got my new card! The DMV is CA is very slow and inefficient. Many staff are unfriendly and impolite too. I hope that the DMV in your area is not the same. Good luck!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Nope, it's not just Florida that makes "mistakes" like this. The DMV made the same "mistake" here in New York State for me too, when I had my Canadian driver's license exchanged over, they gave me a 4 year NYS one, despite at the time my green card being conditional and valid for only 2 years.

For me, it was in and out of the DMV in 10-20 mins...with a 4yr US driver's license (that arrived in the mail a week later)...easy peasy...Lol...if only the USCIS can be as efficient and as quick as the NYS DMV!!!

Oh well, that's was good, as I don't have to worry about renewing my driver's license while my I-751 case is still pending...

Funny though, I can drive and work legally in the USA for 4 years and longer, with a 4yr driver's license and an unrestricted SSN, yet I cannot live here for more than 2 years, unless I get my green card renewed with the I-751... :blink: Weird....

Anyways, to all you other VJers who aren't as lucky in other states, good luck with renewing your driver's licenses while your cases are pending. And good luck with the rest of your immigration journeys too.

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Rhode Island, do renew DL with or without the UCIS issues. I just got mine in July and they gave me a 5 year DL. I guess it depends on the state that you are in. Just go to the DMV and ask what do they need for your DL renewal. Goodluck! :)

May 9, 2005 - Arrived in the US

Jun. 18, 2005 - Got Married

Jul. 28, 2005 - AOS and EAD submitted

Aug. 3, 2005 - INS receipt

Aug. 7, 2005 - Received NOA 1

Nov. 16,2005 - AOS Biometrics

Jan. 23, 2006 - AOS Interview (Approved with stamped passport)

Jan. 25, 2006 - E-mail confirmation from USCIS (application approved)

Jan. 27, 2006 - Received the Welcome to America Notice

Feb. 1, 2006 - E-mail Notice from USCIS to send Green Card (Yipeeee)

Feb. 3, 2006 - Received my Green Card (Two Year GC....Woohoo)

Jan. 23,2008 - File for Removal of Conditional Status

Jan. 30,2008 - Received NOA 1

Feb. 23, 2008 - Biometrics

Dec. 6, 2008 - Received RFE paper

Dec. 18, 2008 - Submitted documents thru Postal Mail.

Jan. 6, 2009 - Card Production Ordered (Yipee....light at the end of the tunnel!!!!)

Jan. 12, 2009 - 10 Year Greencard Received (Thank God!)

Timeline

We shall see what happens this week, got postcard renewal notice several weeks ago for this coming Jan 09, called Dept of Revenue for driver licenses in MO and was told by customer service rep that the postcard numbers indicate renewal for 6 year license. This will interesting to see if this happens like we were told in the phone by HQ customer service. Will post more when I get through that this week. :wacko:

Rhode Island, do renew DL with or without the UCIS issues. I just got mine in July and they gave me a 5 year DL. I guess it depends on the state that you are in. Just go to the DMV and ask what do they need for your DL renewal. Goodluck! :)

Indiana experience - when I first got here (just for a short vacation) went to get the Learner Permit - as they would not accept foreign DLs. One office in Griffith could not read out international marriage certificate and had trouble even reading the CR-1 visa - temp I-551! so ended up going to the Gary office where they gave me a LP - I guess they see more immigrants there.

When I moved here exactly one year ago went to take the written and driving test (no GC as it never appeared) with I-551 in the passport, military ID good til 2012 and some household bills. Passed the test and got the DL good for 4 yrs - told them I am a conditional PR but was told the system shows you as eligible for 4-yr one otherwise I'd wait a long time for them to verify everything - didn't complain, just took it. Did make sure I was not on the voter list.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

UPDATE - For anyone ever renewing a driver license in Missouri FYI!

1) Unlike other USA states, Missouri will not renew your driver license past your GC expiration date, so unlike other states of other posters mentioned here getting 5 or 6 year driver license renewed out past the GC expiration date, does not happen in Missouri. Will only renew your driver license up to the date of GC expiration. :crying:

2) Was informed that even if you apply for renewal of your Missouri drivers license while waiting for your new 10 year GC to be approved or for interview or to come in mail the only way the drivers license in Missouri would be renewed would be if a permanent resident received a letter from USCIS showing or expressing your 10 year GC approval. Also mentioned something about some sort of email internet system now from USCIS but was not exactly clear with that.

Curious anyone here with experience in this have to use this magical letter from USCIS they would have received while waiting for their 10 year GC to be processed so they could show this letter to driver license office to renew their driver license while waiting on the 10 year GC to come in the mail or for their interview? :whistle:

• 7 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

hmm. its 2016 now. here is my experience in missouri. my conditional card is expiring in dec 2016. im filing i751 on sep 16th ,the after tomorrow. i got my missouri drivers license this june 2016. interestingly i got 5 years license. my dl expires in 2023.im very glad about it as it is an import document which i need . i dont have to worry about renewal and if missouri dmv accepts uscis 1 year extension or not. i hoping to get my 10 year gc approved soon as i have very well organized and solid i751 evidence package .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.