JVKn'CVO

TX to Mark Non-USC Driver's licenses

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Lawmakers challenge new rules for legal immigrants

12/9/2008 10:13 AM

By: Catie Beck

Texas lawmakers accused the Department of Public Safety of encouraging racial profiling for adopting two new guidelines for drivers license requirements.

In May and September, the Department of Public Safety adopted provisions to create a new type of drivers license for lawful Texas residents who retain some kind of immigrant status.

Now permanent resident Juan Urena, a lawful resident of the United States for seven years, will not only receive a different license than U.S. citizens, but will also have to show proof that he is legal.

Who was there?

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, members of the Mexican American Legislative Caucus, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, State Rep. Ruth McClendon and other legislators held the press conference to DPS driver's license rules for non-citizens that went into effect Oct. 1.

"Why do you have to be predisposed and look different from the rest?" Urena said.

Urena's license will not be a horizontal card, rather, like drivers below the age of 21, it will be a vertical one. Red letters will read "temporary visitor". Under Deposes new guidelines, all permanent residents in Texas will receive the same type of licenses.

"It's called institutionalized racism," Fort Worth Rep. Lon Burnam said.

A group of lawmakers said the rules will encourage racial profiling. Furthermore, they argued that DPS has no jurisdiction to implement such rules.

"DPS has no authority to be making immigration policy," San Antonio Rep. Ruth McClendon said.

San Antonio Rep. Ruth McClendon said.

DPS officials would not give an in-person interview, but told us this effort will reduce license fraud and identity theft, which has been problematic in Texas. In Dallas, 400 foreign nationals found a loophole and got licenses.

But some lawmakers want a look at the bigger picture.

"Allow the legislature to come in to 2009 and take legislative action starting from a blank slate," San Antonio Rep. Joaquin Castro said.

Lawmakers opposed to the new rules were critical of DPS. They said the agencies role in issuing driver's license is under review.

Urena said he wonders about it as well.

"You're here for a reason, you help your community, you pay your taxes," he said.

Urena said he doesn't understand why the state is toughening rules for those who have followed them in the first place.

News8 Austin

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have no problems with this, federal law requires LPRs to also carry green-cards at all times, the "NON-Citizen" license will just reinforce the requirement to carry and provide green-card or proof of citizenship when applying for a state ID.

NY offers an "enhanced" license for Citizens, that can be used as a border crossing card.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

I don't believe DPS should be, or is qualified for, enforcing immigration. Serious concerns on my part.

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***

Timeline

And another thing

-The teller at the bank does not need to know my immigrant status

-The guy at the door of the bar does not need to know my immigrant status

-The guy at the licor store does not need to know my immigrant status

etc

Complete invasion of privacy. And DPS is completely immigrant unfriendly enough as it is.

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I don't believe DPS should be, or is qualified for, enforcing immigration. Serious concerns on my part.

Saludos,

Caro

I agree. This is short-sighted and wrong.

Timeline

Saludos,

Caro

I agree. This is short-sighted and wrong.

...and isolating :angry:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
And another thing

etc

Complete invasion of privacy. And DPS is completely immigrant unfriendly enough as it is.

Saludos,

Caro

who cares about immigration status ... the spelling police are coming to get you :yes:

Timeline
And another thing

etc

Saludos,

Caro

who cares about immigration status ... the spelling police are coming to get you :yes:

Oops! Sorry... I meant liquor! :blush:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
And another thing

etc

Saludos,

Caro

Oops! Sorry... I meant liquor! :blush:

Saludos,

Caro

just in case it's too late. I've got an extra get out of jail free card ...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Honestly, whatever. Do what they want to do, complain about it but for crying out loud don't call it racism. That drives me insane when anything something with immigration is discussed/enforced/whatever people start screaming racism.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So what?

I'm breaking the law on a daily basis, I don't carry my LPR card, I'm not paying 300+ dlls if somebody steals my wallet, period. Send the deputies suckas!

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

And another thing

etc

Saludos,

Caro

They could easily put this info into a mag-stripe on back (akin to that one on your credit/ATM cards, though in this case readable "ONLY" on police-scanner) rather than use entirely-different design--of course, too simple a solution for gummint "workers".

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

sanita does not carry her green card....

it is much ado about nothing..and typical of a ######-up state like Texas

Edited by almaty

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Besides the actual mark on the license, all of this has already happened in Indiana. All of your immigration documentation will be verified with USCIS in Annapolis before you can get any form of BMV issued state ID, period. Despite there not being a mark, I have trouble believing that this information is not kept somewhere.