JVKn'CVO

TX to Mark Non-USC Driver's licenses

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
This has zero to do with racism. What is does have to do with is the millions of people that decide to overstay and become illegal aliens. It just ties driving privileges to the privilege of a visa or residency. Illegal aliens should not be given driving privileges.

People that obey the law have no reason to worry. Legal residents have nothing to worry about. They can b*tch about it, but they have nothing to worry about unless they decide to overstay.

Food for thought . Fine!!.......don't give them driving privileges. But they have cash to buy cars. They are next to us right now on the highways. Because we refused to issue them with DLs, they cannot buy Motor Vehicle Insurance. So we.......the citizens are unsafe all the time on the highways.

Texas is full of them. IMO 5 out of 10 times (maybe/maybe not) half the accidents out here are caused by Untested/Unlicensed/Uninsured drivers.

Just because a population breaks whatever laws aren't convenient for them to comply with we should just roll over and cater to them?

I like plan "B" better. Illegal alien is in the USA illegally, working illegally, driving illegally, and breaking whatever law doesn't suit them. How about arrest, detain, and deport the scofflaws? Do we really want to incentivize chronic lawbreakers? I don't.

How do you get from marking the licenses of LPR to arguing against giving driving privileges to illegal aliens?

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

02/27/2012 : Sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/01/2012 : Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

03/07/2012 : Check Cashed (Fee $420*2)

03/12/2012 : Received NOA1

07/02/2012 : APPROVED (112 Days)

07/05/2012 : Received NOA2

NVC

07/09/2012 : NVC Received

--/--/2012 : Case# generated

--/--/2012 : DS-3032 (COA)

--/--/2012 : I-864 - AOS Fee $88*2

--/--/2012 : DS-230 - IV Fee ($330+$74)*2

--/--/2012 : Case Completed

--/--/2012 : Forwarded to Consulate [CDJ]

Consulate

--/--/2012 : Medical

--/--/2012 : Interview

--/--/2012 : POE

.....Waiting to for NVC to generate case# 2mww6.gif

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
This has zero to do with racism. What is does have to do with is the millions of people that decide to overstay and become illegal aliens. It just ties driving privileges to the privilege of a visa or residency. Illegal aliens should not be given driving privileges.

People that obey the law have no reason to worry. Legal residents have nothing to worry about. They can b*tch about it, but they have nothing to worry about unless they decide to overstay.

Food for thought . Fine!!.......don't give them driving privileges. But they have cash to buy cars. They are next to us right now on the highways. Because we refused to issue them with DLs, they cannot buy Motor Vehicle Insurance. So we.......the citizens are unsafe all the time on the highways.

Texas is full of them. IMO 5 out of 10 times (maybe/maybe not) half the accidents out here are caused by Untested/Unlicensed/Uninsured drivers.

Just because a population breaks whatever laws aren't convenient for them to comply with we should just roll over and cater to them?

I like plan "B" better. Illegal alien is in the USA illegally, working illegally, driving illegally, and breaking whatever law doesn't suit them. How about arrest, detain, and deport the scofflaws? Do we really want to incentivize chronic lawbreakers? I don't.

How do you get from marking the licenses of LPR to arguing against giving driving privileges to illegal aliens?

If you have kept up with this story from other sources, that is the root cause of this action. Visa overstayers = illegal alien

'Visitor' driver's licenses assailed

But Perry says new DPS rules for non-citizens increase security

By JANET ELLIOTT

2008 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

AUSTIN — Edwin Palacio arrived in the U.S. from the Philippines in 1993 and was granted political asylum two years later.

Since then he has worked for computer companies and received security clearances to audit private and government information systems. But the 54-year-old Austin resident is now identified as a "temporary visitor" on his new Texas driver's license, which he worries will hamper him and his wife in getting a home mortgage.

Palacio joined a group of lawmakers and civil rights advocates Tuesday in calling on the governing board of the Texas Department of Public Safety to rescind the new policy requiring noncitizens to renew their licenses annually and provide documentation that they are in the country legally.

Critics said the policy is having unintended consequences on people who are legal immigrants like Palacio and on some longtime citizens who lack birth certificates or passports.

Palacio and his wife canceled a vacation to South Padre Island recently out of fear that his license, printed on a vertical format unlike the horizontal licenses issued to most Texas drivers, could prompt delays or detention at federal immigration checkpoints.

"The rules have created insecurity, confusion instead of clarity, fear instead of faith in the government, foes instead of friends, life-threatening risks instead of public safety and suspicion instead of trust," Palacio said at a news conference in the Texas Capitol.

Gov. Rick Perry said in a written statement that the rules are needed for public safety and national security.

"Requiring driver license applicants to prove they are in the country legally before issuing them a license is a prudent course of action that most states already follow," Perry said, adding that most Mexican states and Canadian provinces require foreign nationals to prove their legal immigration status to obtain a driver's license.

He said a federal investigation last year discovered a Dallas man who obtained six-year Texas driver's licenses for nearly 400 foreign nationals whose visas had expired — preventing them from getting licenses in New York and New Jersey, where they lived.

Several opposed to the change noted that driver's licenses are used for more than driving, and serve as identification when someone writes a check at a grocery store or applies for a bank loan. "Creating a new type of driver's license based on a person's immigration status invites discrimination," said Rep. Lon Burnam, D-Fort Worth.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6156579.html

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
If you have kept up with this story from other sources, that is the root cause of this action. Visa overstayers = illegal alien

I understand that part, I thought that's why we have license renewals. This can even be taken care of with a license suspension or revocation. Law enforcement has access to that information from their vehicles. They will find out fairly quickly that the license has been suspended or revoked.

If you're worried about illegals getting home mortgages with just a drivers license, well you should probably direct your energy at the banks. Those lenient lending practices are what started this economic mess.

My concern is that this like having to wear a scarlet. Why should a LPR have to carry a license that is branded with "temporary visitor"? Every definition I can think of states they are neither temporary or a visitor. They are a Legal Permanent Resident. This brands them to be the opposite of what they really are. Isn't that illogical? Why punish all the law abiding people to enforce the law? Why not improve the law enforcement mechanism and ability?

By what logic do you beleive a Legal Permanent Resident should be branded a "temporary visitor"?

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

02/27/2012 : Sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/01/2012 : Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

03/07/2012 : Check Cashed (Fee $420*2)

03/12/2012 : Received NOA1

07/02/2012 : APPROVED (112 Days)

07/05/2012 : Received NOA2

NVC

07/09/2012 : NVC Received

--/--/2012 : Case# generated

--/--/2012 : DS-3032 (COA)

--/--/2012 : I-864 - AOS Fee $88*2

--/--/2012 : DS-230 - IV Fee ($330+$74)*2

--/--/2012 : Case Completed

--/--/2012 : Forwarded to Consulate [CDJ]

Consulate

--/--/2012 : Medical

--/--/2012 : Interview

--/--/2012 : POE

.....Waiting to for NVC to generate case# 2mww6.gif

One of the worst ironies of this is that TX DPS already has a way (and unfortunately, anyone else reading the licence may be able to deduce it) of determining the holder's immigration status--combination of the expiry date and issue date, as holders of temp work/dependant visas are issued DL's which expire on the visa's expiry date.

(reiterate: gummint types, so they need to take messy rather than simple "solutions")

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I understand that part, I thought that's why we have license renewals. This can even be taken care of with a license suspension or revocation. Law enforcement has access to that information from their vehicles. They will find out fairly quickly that the license has been suspended or revoked.

If you're worried about illegals getting home mortgages with just a drivers license, well you should probably direct your energy at the banks. Those lenient lending practices are what started this economic mess.

My concern is that this like having to wear a scarlet. Why should a LPR have to carry a license that is branded with "temporary visitor"? Every definition I can think of states they are neither temporary or a visitor. They are a Legal Permanent Resident. This brands them to be the opposite of what they really are. Isn't that illogical? Why punish all the law abiding people to enforce the law? Why not improve the law enforcement mechanism and ability?

By what logic do you beleive a Legal Permanent Resident should be branded a "temporary visitor"?

That's the reason why I'm becoming a USC as soon as I can, to bug the ####### out of my senator (state and federal), and representatives (state and federal) and complain about this idiotic kind of reasoning. Instead of worrying about the stupid driver licenses, they should be worried about economizing and minimizing their budget, they spend too much on stupid stuff, look at CA with their 41 billion deficit.

But hey! we are talking about my dear home state, "W" started his political career here didn't he? :P

Edited by TävôLuDô

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

That word: "alien".

It is antiquated and should be abolished.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
One of the worst ironies of this is that TX DPS already has a way (and unfortunately, anyone else reading the licence may be able to deduce it) of determining the holder's immigration status--combination of the expiry date and issue date, as holders of temp work/dependant visas are issued DL's which expire on the visa's expiry date.

(reiterate: gummint types, so they need to take messy rather than simple "solutions")

:yes:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!