Kamaboko

Cultural problem with your spouse, anyone?

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

When my husband first arrived, I also felt (and acted) territorial about the kitchen. I'd also been on my own for a while. I wanted to do the cooking, maybe secretly thought I'd do a better job. He'd jump in when I was cooking and start changing stuff! When I would wash dishes, there were times he'd almost push me out of the way so he could wash them. I felt almost defensive -- until I came to my senses -- okay, my husband is in the kitchen demanding his fair share of the work, and I'm pushing him away. :bonk:

My husband needed to feel like it was his home too. He likes to cook, and it turns out he's a better cook than I am. MUCH better. I did get over myself in time. Now, one or the other of us will cook, or sometimes we'll cook together.

So my own take on it is it may just be an adjustment issue that will resolve itself in time, although you may need to discuss it with him as my husband did with me. As Steven said, ask him straight out if he likes your cooking. If he'll agree to the two of you cooking together sometimes, let him direct the project a few times, and observe, and learn his preferences. I can certainly understand you wanting to cook for him; it's part of your tradition to express your love to your husband this way, and it's difficult when it isn't accepted as readily as it would be back home. Give it some time, and I'll bet you'll find a happy compromise.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'm not going to eat shite food because he is lame and doesn't want to eat something good. He prefers microwave ####### anyways. It's what he grew up with and what he's used to. One day he will get really fat and I will laugh at his misfortune :P

:lol: :lol:

If my husband cooked and handled paying all the bills, i would permanently be doing the happy dance.

To address the OP, sounds like you guys are still adjusting. Talk to him about it... give it some time. i'm sure your a good cook. Sometimes it just takes a while to get used to new situations.

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Claudeth, being Filipino, is sometimes difficult to understand what she says. If I ask her how much she spent she will say '50 plus'. That can mean anything from 51 to 100. :wacko: It gets really scary when she says 300 plus :unsure:

Sometimes I will ask her a simple yes or now question and I will get an answer like 'yes, a little bit but not so much'. :blink:

I don't think that's a Filipino issue, it's a male/female issue! Happens to us all the time, too. :devil:

To the OP, I know my husband doesn't like my cooking much. He doesn't eat any read meat and is generally extremely picky so he does most of the cooking. Doesn't bother me in the least. I'm much less picky and I generally like what he cooks. When he travels I cook "my food" and enjoy it.

I wouldn't see it as a sign of being "unappreciated", I think that's taking it too far. He's picky, he likes to cook, let him cook.

Make your native food for your community and the people who appreciate it but don't fret too much over what your hubby does and does not eat. :star:

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Claudeth, being Filipino, is sometimes difficult to understand what she says. If I ask her how much she spent she will say '50 plus'. That can mean anything from 51 to 100. :wacko: It gets really scary when she says 300 plus :unsure:

Sometimes I will ask her a simple yes or now question and I will get an answer like 'yes, a little bit but not so much'. :blink:

LOL...Both Jinky and my 7 yr. old step son will respond with "it's fine," if I ask them if they want something - but what they mean is they are declining my offer. Her sisters who live and work in Ireland, however, actually speak with a bit of an Irish lilt. They're both nurses and so by default, they are constantly speaking in English, while Jinky still speaks a great deal in Bisaya even at work.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

So, this doesn't seem like it's about the cooking as much as it is a way for you to show love for your husband and have that love acknowledged. And maybe for him, it's just a matter of being set in his ways, or wanting to feel like he's still his own person. Or maybe he feels weird having you cook for him.

For example, C. and I had a fairly typical newlywed adjustment period in most respects, but it seriously took me several months to feel like I didn't have to be a hostess or keep him entertained, because he moved into my place, and it felt a bit like he was a guest even though he wasn't, if that makes sense. Maybe your husband feels awkward having you cook because it feels like he's not being a good host.

I'd first ask him whether he honestly enjoys your cooking. If he does, maybe it's the sort of thing the two of you can do together. Maybe you make a side-dish while he cooks a main dish, or maybe you teach him how to make Indonesian-style meals. Or you take over making desserts.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

So, this doesn't seem like it's about the cooking as much as it is a way for you to show love for your husband and have that love acknowledged. And maybe for him, it's just a matter of being set in his ways, or wanting to feel like he's still his own person. Or maybe he feels weird having you cook for him.

For example, C. and I had a fairly typical newlywed adjustment period in most respects, but it seriously took me several months to feel like I didn't have to be a hostess or keep him entertained, because he moved into my place, and it felt a bit like he was a guest even though he wasn't, if that makes sense. Maybe your husband feels awkward having you cook because it feels like he's not being a good host.

I'd first ask him whether he honestly enjoys your cooking. If he does, maybe it's the sort of thing the two of you can do together. Maybe you make a side-dish while he cooks a main dish, or maybe you teach him how to make Indonesian-style meals. Or you take over making desserts.

Hi everyone,

I'm sooo excited to get all of the responses.

Btw, Last night when he was working I called him if he wanted to eat some chicken dish or anything when he got home -as I was making dinner for myself and would cooked more if he intended to eat when he got home. Anyways, he said no since he wanted to go straight to bed. When he arrived, he suddenly asked me if I cared for some seafood stir-fry or spaghetti, and I told him -with grumpy look- that I thought he did not want to eat late dinner. I guess he was a bit hungry. I don't understand. Since I already had big meal He decided to microwave some pita bread and fry some veggie burger. If I said yes, he would have cooked me big portion of stir fry or spaghetti. And I tell you what, since I arrived here, I've gained 6 kg's or about 13 pounds. He doesn't like me starting to get fat (I weigh 120 pounds now) but keeps spoiling me by cooking me big meal; or maybe I am not the who doesn't get used to North America's food portion LOL.

While he was eating last night I started asking him if he likes my cooking, and he said yes. I told him I felt unappreciated since he had never taken my favour regarding preparing meal. He told me that it's only my feeling, then later agreed on me preparing dinner one of these days. Oh well, we'll see. :whistle:

K-1

Application mailed.............12-04-2008

NOA1...............................12-07-2008

Touched...........................03-19-2008

NOA2...............................03-19-2008

Touched...........................04-08-2008

Touched...........................04-22-2008

Sent to NVC......................04-23-2008

Case number generated.....04-29-2008

Case left NVC....................04-30-2008

Case arrived at embassy....05-06-2008

Packet 3...........................05-07-2008

Medical check....................05-08-2008

Packet 4............................05-08-2008

Interview date....05-22-2008 APPROVED

Visa in hand.......................05-29-2008

US entry............................06-02-2008

The wedding......................06-07-2008

AOS, EAD, and AP

Application mailed..............06-18-2008

Application received............06-20-2008

NOA1................................06-24-2008

Touched............................06-27-2008

Biometrics appointment.......07-15-2008

Touched on I-765...............09-03-2008

EAD Card ordered...............09-03-2008

EAD & AP received..............09-10-2008

AOS interview.....................12-08-2008

AOS approved.....................12-08-2008

Two-year GC received..........01-05-2009

Removing Condition (I-751)

Application mailed..................09-17-2010

Application received................09-20-2010

NOA1................................09-27-2010

Biometrics appointments...11-04-2010 & 12-28-2010

App approved...................01-13-2011

Ten-yr GC received.............01-18-2011

Make a date.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I'm sooo excited to get all of the responses.

Btw, Last night when he was working I called him if he wanted to eat some chicken dish or anything when he got home -as I was making dinner for myself and would cooked more if he intended to eat when he got home. Anyways, he said no since he wanted to go straight to bed. When he arrived, he suddenly asked me if I cared for some seafood stir-fry or spaghetti, and I told him -with grumpy look- that I thought he did not want to eat late dinner. I guess he was a bit hungry. I don't understand. Since I already had big meal He decided to microwave some pita bread and fry some veggie burger. If I said yes, he would have cooked me big portion of stir fry or spaghetti. And I tell you what, since I arrived here, I've gained 6 kg's or about 13 pounds. He doesn't like me starting to get fat (I weigh 120 pounds now) but keeps spoiling me by cooking me big meal; or maybe I am not the who doesn't get used to North America's food portion LOL.

While he was eating last night I started asking him if he likes my cooking, and he said yes. I told him I felt unappreciated since he had never taken my favour regarding preparing meal. He told me that it's only my feeling, then later agreed on me preparing dinner one of these days. Oh well, we'll see. :whistle:

Sounds to me like he's just very accustomed to eating what he wants, which is a bit rude, but he probably isn't intentionally being rude. Both my wife and I came from families where sitting down together and sharing a meal was really important and a routine. Maybe his way of preparing his own food even when you've cooked goes back to his family life growing up, but in any case, I would be assertive and tell him that it really means a lot to you to maintain that tradition for you two as a couple, and then maybe have a few nights of leftovers or whatever he wants. You could try and plan ahead - tell him you're cooking on Thursday night if he agrees and that you expect the two of you to sit down and share the meal together. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband also did everything around the house before I came here, cooking, bills, laundry etc.. at first he's the one who's cooking because I'm still adjusting to my new environment and food. He had this schedule for every dinner, like for monday, we have mexican food, tuesday-asian, wednesday-whatever, thursday-italian, friday-fish, saturday-pizza time, sunday-grill, but sometimes we go out too for dinner.. Before he didn't had rice for the tuesday-asian sched, so I suggested that I want rice for our asian, and sometimes I insisted on cooking and he eat the food though. We're now adjusted to it, maybe all you need to do is to talk with your husband since people here are straight forward, just be ready with his answers, if he's gonna tell you that he doesn't like your cooking etc.. just talk with him and tell him what you feel..

..ANGELS..

2008-Jan-29 : I-129F Sent

2008-June-26 : Letter from Embassy

2008-July-10 : Medical

2008-Aug-04 : Interview Date

2008-Sept-18 : Visa Received

2008-Oct-11 : US Entry

POE : JFK New York

Got EAD Stamp on I-94 valid until 2009-Jan-09

2008-Nov-21 : Civil Wedding

2008-Dec-05 : Filed SSN

2008-Dec-12 : SSN Card Received thru mail

2008-Dec-16 : AOS Packet Sent to USCIS Chicago, IL via USPS (I-485 & EAD)

2008-Dec-18 : AOS Packet delivered to Chicago, IL (I-485 and EAD)

2008-Dec-23 : Check cashed

2008-Dec-29 : Received NOA (I-485 & EAD)

2009-Jan-02 : Received Appointment Notice

2009-Jan-14 : Biometrics Appointment (Done)

2009-Jan-30 : Received Transfer Letter (from Chicago to California)

2009-Mar-04 : Received EAD card thru mail

2009-Mar-25: Got a job :)

2009-Apr-24 : Received Welcome Letter

2009-Apr-24: Received 2-year Green Card thru mail :)

***LIFTING OF CONDITIONS : 2011-APRIL-13***

1_880027260l.jpg

Visit My Website

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The good news (from what I gather) is this is this might be the only problem you two are having.

That should be something to be thankful for as we have all heard of couples whose love seemed to blossom more when an ocean separated them.

I hear that your interest is not just "to" cook but rather to have a husband who enjoys it.

This may or may never happen but I hope this one area does not begin to sour everything.

We must accept the differences in our partner, even if we can't make logic out of them.

It's great you started having a conversation with him about this, sometimes these subjects are hard to bring up if your personality is not used to it.

If I were you, I would take that small conversation you 2 had and embellish on it a little.

Act like you understood the conversation to mean even more than was said.

With a happy tone in your voice, tell him how you are glad he understands how you like to cook for you two....... while realizing how much he enjoys cooking too.

Then with a positive tone, suggest, that you plan and cook 1 or 2 means a week (hey ya gotta start somewhere).

I think the key is to somehow have a agreed upon day, such as on weekends (or what ever) less the old habit of him heading for the kitchen every night lives on.

Keep Positive when addressing this to him, it's much harder to resist a smile or humor.

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
sometimes i ask sanita a question,. and 3 days later she is still talking..i just grunt at her these days.,..i get paid to listen to people and don't like to bring my work home with me... :whistle:

:lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!