aidan80

Job Hunting...

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

On 6th Oct I found an entry level IT job just posted that very day on careerbuilder. I found the employers web page and filled out their application online the same day!.. The job asked for high school education, A+ certification and perferred MCP :lol: with experience. Considdering I have the minimum requirements (including the A+) and more! plus a few certificates form back home and over 5 years (not including training time) experience in the field I thought I'd least get an interview or something... The next morning on the 7th at 8:40 I get an email saying.. "thanks for applying... but we're looking for canditates that better fit our needs" from their human resources? :hehe:

Is it just me or is something wrong here? I mean the job opens on the 6th and by the 7th I have HR telling me no?.. I don't get it.. I emailed their HR and asked why the rejection as I'm qualified to at least get past HR but no responce.. So I emailed HR director and said the same thing.. no responce. I thinking about calling them and saying.. #######.. why am I being rejected? I'm getting fedup with being rejected by these places and I'm thinking it's because I've only one US employer since I moved here in 2005?

Is it just me or is this weird?...

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Is it just me or is something wrong here? (It's not just you - it's wrong.) I mean the job opens on the 6th and by the 7th I have HR telling me no?.. I don't get it.. I emailed their HR and asked why the rejection as I'm qualified to at least get past HR but no responce.. So I emailed HR director and said the same thing.. no responce. I thinking about calling them and saying.. #######.. why am I being rejected? (Won't do you any good.)I'm getting fedup with being rejected by these places and I'm thinking it's because I've only one US employer since I moved here in 2005?

It's weird - from experience, the few times you'll get a 'reply/response' it's some sort of automated letter (usually you hear absolutely nothing at all). Job boards have really become a sludge of outdated and/or over-posted positions.

Timeline
Is it just me or is something wrong here? (It's not just you - it's wrong.) I mean the job opens on the 6th and by the 7th I have HR telling me no?.. I don't get it.. I emailed their HR and asked why the rejection as I'm qualified to at least get past HR but no responce.. So I emailed HR director and said the same thing.. no responce. I thinking about calling them and saying.. #######.. why am I being rejected? (Won't do you any good.)I'm getting fedup with being rejected by these places and I'm thinking it's because I've only one US employer since I moved here in 2005?

It's weird - from experience, the few times you'll get a 'reply/response' it's some sort of automated letter (usually you hear absolutely nothing at all). Job boards have really become a sludge of outdated and/or over-posted positions.

I too think it's weird, I've been checking the job boards and I can usually spot the one's that are not real :lol: most of the time but.. this one looks like a real job, I just don't understand why the rejection? Every other time I never hear a thing or get a thanks but no thanks card in the mail 3 months later. Least then I know I made it past HR. I know it won't do any good and at this point I don't want the job but I'll call and try and get some answers. I'm hoping the answer I don't get is "we only hire citizens" and I've seen jobs list citizens only and their not federal.. but they could always be a contractor? I probability being paranoid now!..

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Do they have the same rule in the USA about having to publicly post all jobs? They may have someone in mind for it (such as an internal hire), but have to post the job publicly... Or there may be requirements that they didn;t state in the ad, such as knowing C++ or whatever.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hmm we've had the same problem before.

IT entry level jobs with very little requirement, the (US) fiance has applied with his education and experience (which is much better than entry level) and hears nothing back. He's been looking for a full-time job for about 2/3 years now. The furthest he has EVER got is an interview that he feels goes really really well and then they send him a letter saying that they chose another candidate. I don't think it's because you're not a citizen, I think it has to do more with this crisis in the US, no one is quick to hire anymore.

We just keep looking...

We've also started to look at places other than IT (which is what he's trained to do) and apply for cable companies and such. It seems like a waste, but at least it's a job.

Good luck, and try not to take it too personal. (though I am curious about their response if you do call :P )

Timeline

IT entry level jobs with very little requirement, the (US) fiance has applied with his education and experience (which is much better than entry level) and hears nothing back. He's been looking for a full-time job for about 2/3 years now. The furthest he has EVER got is an interview that he feels goes really really well and then they send him a letter saying that they chose another candidate. I don't think it's because you're not a citizen, I think it has to do more with this crisis in the US, no one is quick to hire anymore.

We just keep looking...

We've also started to look at places other than IT (which is what he's trained to do) and apply for cable companies and such. It seems like a waste, but at least it's a job.

Good luck, and try not to take it too personal. (though I am curious about their response if you do call :P )

Normally I'd agree but I've been here and done this before.. when I first arrived in 2005. I thought then it was just because they didn't understand my certifications and training from back home.. So I go and take the A+, N+, MCP.. and still I'm being ignored?.. It's just not feeling right. Although at this point I suppose it could be the economy, they could have someone in mind for the job and "have" to advertise it or a million other reasons.

I understand what you mean about the interview.. first interview I got for an IT job in 2006 went really well, apart from all the questions about my "citizenship status" I thought I was in... Long story short I didn't get it and in part I think it had a lot to do with me having only an EAD at the time. I ended up getting another job, same organization different department (hired by a manager that's lived overseas) and have met the two people they hired for that job I applied for.. First guy knows what he's doing, bit weird looking but knows his stuff so I thought ok thats fair enough, no problem.. second guy.. well he's clueless!.. turns out 2nd guygot hired over 1st guy and is buddies with the people doing the hiring.. the same clueless guy is now a network admin?.. suppose we all lost out to the guy with the brown nose! :lol:

Ah well.. just have to hold out for a real job!

Edited by aidan80

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
they could have someone in mind for the job and "have" to advertise it or a million other reasons.

This sounds like the likely cause of your rejection, Aidan. I don't profess to know the ins and outs of the U.S. labour laws, but what I do know is that I, as an employer, am obliged to at least advertise any of my vacancies internally, which I do - even though 9 times out of 10, I already know who I want for the job. All the other responses/interviews I give (which end with "thanks, but no thanks" letters), I give because I have to - that simple, really.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Timeline

yep that's what I'm thinking.. It was done as well back home at times, I didn't like it or agree with it but people did it. What I don't get is.. why didn't they ask for what most ask and put a few dozen people off applying like a degree.. a lot of experience.. and a bunch of certificates most tech's don't have. I've seen tech jobs posted and they wanted a minimum of the MSCE certificate.. that's a bit more than pulling a hard drive and ghosting a new copy of windows! Although I've heard there are plenty of paper MCSE's out there that are not up to the job.

I don't think there where any hidden requirements like c++.. that's programmer stuff not tech stuff or really even the average admin stuff. C++ I'm sure is what the really smart people learn and get paid the big bucks for! lol

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

went on an interview today... answer tomorrow but i think i'm gonna get it

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

That happens in my company all the time where a lot of my friends have applied for jobs they totally qualify for but never get even called. Then I find out that the hiring manager already had someone else in mind from the very beginning and posting the job online was just a formality. :rolleyes:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Some companies post openings for positions they aren't really looking for. They do this to show they are "expanding" when their competitors may not be. They already have annual accounts with Job boards like Monster, etc, so they post away. This is a good time to gather resumes for when they may have a "real" opening later on.

Its not really you not meeting their requirements, its them not having a position really even open! That's probably why the fast "sorry" email goes out.

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Trust me we feel your pain... Marco can't so much as get an interview. I'm sure it doesn't help that we live in a Southern Red-neck hick town................Most of these people haven't left the small town we live in...

It's getting to the point where we are talking about moving because job prospects for him are non-existent.

We just keep looking...

Normally I'd agree but I've been here and done this before.. when I first arrived in 2005. I thought then it was just because they didn't understand my certifications and training from back home.. So I go and take the A+, N+, MCP.. and still I'm being ignored?.. It's just not feeling right. Although at this point I suppose it could be the economy, they could have someone in mind for the job and "have" to advertise it or a million other reasons.

I understand what you mean about the interview.. first interview I got for an IT job in 2006 went really well, apart from all the questions about my "citizenship status" I thought I was in... Long story short I didn't get it and in part I think it had a lot to do with me having only an EAD at the time. I ended up getting another job, same organization different department (hired by a manager that's lived overseas) and have met the two people they hired for that job I applied for.. First guy knows what he's doing, bit weird looking but knows his stuff so I thought ok thats fair enough, no problem.. second guy.. well he's clueless!.. turns out 2nd guygot hired over 1st guy and is buddies with the people doing the hiring.. the same clueless guy is now a network admin?.. suppose we all lost out to the guy with the brown nose! :lol:

Ah well.. just have to hold out for a real job!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

01-04-2008 - I-129F Sent

01-09-2008 - I-129F NOA1

03-05-2008 - I-129F NOA2

04-08-2008 - Medical Exam

04-17-2008 - Interview!!!

04-22-2008 - VISA IN HAND!

05-02-2008 - U.S. Entrance

06-14-2008 - MARRIAGE!

Phase 2....

06-19-2008 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06-26-2008 - AOS/EAD/AP NOA1

07-19-2008 - Biometrics

07-22-2008 - Transferred to CSC!

07-28-2008 - Email from CRIS confirming CSC received case

08-25-2008 - Received AP in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

08-29-2008 - Received EAD card in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

09-22-2008 - Received Email from CRIS for I-485 "CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!"

09-27-2008 - Received Green Card in the mail!

Phase 3....

06-29-2010 - Sent I-751 and package to Remove Conditions

07-06-2010 - NOA1

08-24-2010 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
On 6th Oct I found an entry level IT job just posted that very day on careerbuilder. I found the employers web page and filled out their application online the same day!.. The job asked for high school education, A+ certification and perferred MCP :lol: with experience. Considdering I have the minimum requirements (including the A+) and more! plus a few certificates form back home and over 5 years (not including training time) experience in the field I thought I'd least get an interview or something... The next morning on the 7th at 8:40 I get an email saying.. "thanks for applying... but we're looking for canditates that better fit our needs" from their human resources? :hehe:

Is it just me or is something wrong here? I mean the job opens on the 6th and by the 7th I have HR telling me no?.. I don't get it.. I emailed their HR and asked why the rejection as I'm qualified to at least get past HR but no responce.. So I emailed HR director and said the same thing.. no responce. I thinking about calling them and saying.. #######.. why am I being rejected? I'm getting fedup with being rejected by these places and I'm thinking it's because I've only one US employer since I moved here in 2005?

Maybe they thought you'd be overqualified?

(Which is a concern because overqualified = turnover)

Good luck with the job hunt :)

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.