KJC

There are no genuine pay as you go cellphones in the states?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

In the UK I rarely used a cellphone, so I would just put $20 of credit in it, and that would last a long time and there was no danger of it expiring.

Since moving to the states my wife said she's heard no such thing, and that I will have to get a "family plan" with her network which would be an extra $20 per month.

That seems like a bit of a waste of money to me since I will rarely use it.

K1

11/06/2007 - I-129F sent to Nebraska

29/06/2007 - NOA1 letter received

21/12/2007 - NOA2 issued

31/12/2007 - NOA2 hard copy

28/01/2008 - Packet 3 received

11/02/2008 - Packet 3 forms & checklist returned to Embassy

13/02/2008 - Medical

28/02/2008 - Packet 4 received

20/03/2008 - Interview @ 10am - APPROVED

28/03/2008 - Visa in hand

14/04/2008 - POE Detroit (DTW)

22/05/2008 - Married

AOS

06/06/2008 - AOS & EAD filed

13/06/2008 - NOA1 letter received

14/07/2008 - Biometrics appointment

14/08/2008 - EAD production ordered

23/08/2008 - EAD card received

14/01/2009 - Green card producation ordered (No interview required)

22/01/2009 - Green card recieved

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline
Virgin have a deal where you pay a minimum $20 pay as you go - although they do expire in 90s days and you have to keep it topped up. That's the best I know about.

Yes, Virgin Mobile is one of the best prepaid phone with the best pay as you go plans :star:

1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif avatar_ani_050.gifSOON TO BE HAPPILY DIVORCED! avatar_ani_052.gif 1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

i have a net ten phone that came with 300 minutes.. you just have to put money on it every 60 days I think.. I have it set up where 15 bucks automatically gets put on my phone each month

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
i have a net ten phone that came with 300 minutes.. you just have to put money on it every 60 days I think.. I have it set up where 15 bucks automatically gets put on my phone each month

I have net10 also. The expiration date depends on the amount of prepay you buy. Wish I could find something better!

The International Rate isn't too bad to some selected countries. 15 cents.

Timeline

I have net10 also. The expiration date depends on the amount of prepay you buy. Wish I could find something better!

The International Rate isn't too bad to some selected countries. 15 cents.

yeah but like I said I just have it set up so it automatically puts 15 dollars on my phone each month so I don't have to worry about the expiration date...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My stepdad uses Net 10 also. I use T-mobile. The beauty of T-mobile is its the only pay as you go cell that I have found that has international texting.

After you buy a certain amount of minutes on T-mobile, the minutes last one year before expiring. You can find them at target. :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The benefit of having a family plan is that in case you do need to use quite a few minutes (like being on hold with the cable company or something banal like that) it is nice having those extra minutes. My husband is like you...he barely uses his phone while I tend to use mine quite a bit more. So it works out...I go through most of the minutes and he just uses the few he needs.

But everyone has different needs. In our case we don't have a landline so cell phones are an absolute necessity.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Virgin have a deal where you pay a minimum $20 pay as you go - although they do expire in 90s days and you have to keep it topped up.

It only expires in 90 days if you don't top up. (Maybe that's what you were saying.) As long as you top up by the due date, your unused minutes carry forward. :)

It works for me because I don't use my cell phone much most of the time, but when I'm away from home, I use it a lot more. Those minutes that carried forward get used then.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Most cell phone providers have some kind of pay as you go system. They are usually not marketed as much as they would rather you pay for a monthly plan.

keTiiDCjGVo

We use alltel. Currently we are on a family plan, though we are planning on going pay-per-day. Apparently, with pay per day, as long as you have credit, you just keep going.. unlike with pay per minute, there's a time limit as to how long your credit will last.. did that make sense?

I-129F sent .........................8/08/2006

Interview............................3/23/2007

VISA RECEIVED .......................3/29/2007

Sent AOS package to CHI..............7/12/2007

Biometrics in CLE, OH................8/14/2007

Interview in CLE, OH................10/16/2007

GREEN CARD RECEIVED.................11/15/2007

Sent ROC to CSC......................8/10/2009

NOA1.................................8/12/2009

Biometrics...........................9/18/2009

Card Production Ordered ............10/01/2009

Sent N400 to AZ lockbox ............11/08/2010

Application received................11/12/2010

Check cashed........................11/15/2010

Biometrics (CLE)....................12/03/2010

Interview (CLE).....................01/14/2010

Oath Taking (CLE)...................02/04/2010

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
In the UK I rarely used a cellphone, so I would just put $20 of credit in it, and that would last a long time and there was no danger of it expiring.

Since moving to the states my wife said she's heard no such thing, and that I will have to get a "family plan" with her network which would be an extra $20 per month.

That seems like a bit of a waste of money to me since I will rarely use it.

I understand exactly what your saying.. back home I had an O2 and all I put in was normally £10 or £20 and it did me till it was done. I mean it was hard to beat not paying for incoming calls or texts (robbery over here) and getting 300 free texts per month and I don't even need to mention the fact you could just pull the SIM. Over here is a different story.. I refuse to sign up for a "family plan" as it'd cost at least $60 - $70 a month for something I or the wife would hardly ever use.

We use virgin mobile "pay as you go" at the minute as it's the only thing that's almost bearable but it annoys the $hite outta me picking up the phone or getting a text knowing the robbin ba$tards are taking more money for a call/text that's already paid for.

I don't think there is any real pay as you go phones here, more like thieve as you talk! :lol: I mean I thought I was getting a raw deal back home with O2, I was on the border and it would switch to and from O2 UK and O2 Ireland. I'd be cleaned if I didn't check the network before using the mobile. The stupid transmitter on the other side of the border almost always gave a stronger signal.

Try Virgin mobile, I mean $20 it cost me for a cheap crappy phone at Wal-Mart and another $20 (plus tax of course) to top up the thing. I use it very oddly but still stick $10 or so in every other month to keep it alive and keep the minutes. Reception in central Florida is alright, I mean nothing flame throwing or anything but it does the job.

Good luck!! :)

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I'm just a Colonist, but I have this:

http://www.tracfone.com

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't they expire in the UK too? I know Orange did but I think you had a while...or do you mean ALL the minuets expire after the 90 day period or whatever? (I think the Orange ones don't expire as long as you use some).

I was going to get prepaid AT&T since there's no point in me having cell phone plane either but, I noticed when comparing coverage to their normal service, their pay-as-you-go was hmm.....lacking.

Besides it's not really killing me to live cell phone free (but then I don't really go anywhere right now :hehe: )

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Timeline

AT&T Go Phone. Put $100 on it, and it does not expire for 365 days. Might be what you're looking for.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.