MarkGA

Hiring an immigration attorney

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I realize that most all of you have handled this process on your own, but for me, I just feel more comfortable with having a lawyer manage this process for me. I'm curious if anyone has hired an immigration attorney to handle a K1 visa and how did you go about choosing an attorney? There are number of "national" firms that seem to specialize in this field, but I'm not sure if I should go that route or deal with someone local here in Atlanta.

Any advice/input here would be appreciated.

Thank you-

Mark

Timeline

04-21-2008 - Wrote to each other for the first time

07-22-2008 - Met in Bangalore

07-30-2008 - Got engaged

08-05-2008 - Mailed I-129F (K1 Visa) Petition to VSC

08-06-2008 - I-129F (K1 Visa) Petition received by VSC

08-13-2008 - Check cased

08-18-2008 - NOA1 received

08-18-2008 - I-129F (K1 Visa) Petition "Touched"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hiring a lawyer is just the same as doing it by yourself becasue that was our experience with my husband the lawyer will just tell you what to do, but still you will be responsible in doing all the forms and providing him the all the required papers...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

If you're more comfortable going through this process with the help of an attorney you should do so (my fiance felt the same way and we did hire a lawyer). I know we could've done it without their help. All they do is fill out the forms for you and put all the supporting docs (that you have to compile anyway and provide the lawyer with) in order. We chose a law firm by its reputation and proximity since my fiance found it easier to just run by their offices to drop off docs instead of mailing them. We are in the Atlanta area as well. PM me if you need more information.

Looking back at it, I wish we would've spent the money on something other than attorney fees.

In every difficulty lies an island of opportunity.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

You are going to get a lot of posts telling you not to hire a lawyer unless you have special circumstances. Many have found the lawyer actually delays them more than anything. Simple mistakes. I tend to agree.... You still need to gather all the documents and do all the leg work. You will also want to be pro active on your own behalf and be sure the packet is put together correctly with everything included. Educate yourself using the guides here. It's a simple checklist really. Be sure everything on it is included. In essence, you will still be doing most of the work.

However, it is a personal choice and if you decide that is the route you want to go just be CERTAIN that they know what they are doing so you are not forced to wait even longer because of their mistakes. I would find a good immigration lawyer and ask for a free consult. Bring the VJ guide checklist with you and have them TELL YOU what is to be included.

good luck no matter what you choose.

timeline.jpg

If you're more comfortable going through this process with the help of an attorney you should do so (my fiance felt the same way and we did hire a lawyer). I know we could've done it without their help. All they do is fill out the forms for you and put all the supporting docs (that you have to compile anyway and provide the lawyer with) in order. We chose a law firm by its reputation and proximity since my fiance found it easier to just run by their offices to drop off docs instead of mailing them. We are in the Atlanta area as well. PM me if you need more information.

Looking back at it, I wish we would've spent the money on something other than attorney fees.

I have had the same experience as above except that the lawyer we chose has offices in New York and California and we are from Michigan so proximity was not a deciding factor.

I researched the web for law firms. Them researched positive and negative experiences people had. The one we eventually chose had been through the process himself so to me I felt he might have empathy. I emailed the attorney then John did. Then John had several conversations / consultations with him before we started. (at no cost) I felt comfortable we could complete it ourselves but for peace of mind we choose a lawyer to assist. As it turns out the initial work was good. We have had struggles with regular communication with them but now like for everyone the process is a waiting game. Its all in the USCIS' hands.

Having said all that if we had discovered VJ before we began the process we may not have gone that route.

Edited by DairyFarmer

I used an attorney that was recommended by a tour group. I felt the same way at first, that I couldn't do this myself. But, that was before I knew about VJ. If you have an special circumstances, then you should definitely use an attorney. If you are also someone that really needs organizational help, then choose an attorney that is well experienced in immigration. It is not necessary to use someone close to you since everything dealing with the USCIS is done by mail anyway.

You should get a firm commitment from the attorney as to fees. A flat rate is probably best. It's true that you have to gather all of the documents yourself, but the attorney (if well experienced) will direct you to exactly what is needed. The timelines for completing the entire process are the same with or without an attorney. They don't have any better connections than other people, but they generally do make sure everything is there before filing the application.

Good luck, no matter what you choose.

Timeline

Thanks for the input and advice. Maybe I'm just finding everything to seem really overwhelming when I don't need to. Ugghhh. You know finding the right partner is hard enough in this life, being together should be the easy thing. :)

Sounds like those who chose a lawyer haven't really found it to be advantageous. I guess I'll start to the process and if I feel I can't get it done, go with a lawyer.

Thanks again everyone and best of luck.

-Mark

Timeline

07-30-2008 - Got engaged

08-13-2008 - Check cased

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Mark, start with the Guides . They will be an invaluable resource for you! Just go down the list of requirements. The uscis website also has all immigration forms and even an instruction page for filling out the I-129f in pdf format. ;) Also, there are Example forms here on vj that you can use as well.

You can always find those, and other helpful links, at the top of the forum.

It seems daunting at first, but if you do it with the guidance here you should be all set. ;) People are always here to answer any questions you have any. We all started the same way. ;)

timeline.jpg

I'll give you some recommendations:

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Thanks for the input and advice. Maybe I'm just finding everything to seem really overwhelming when I don't need to. Ugghhh. You know finding the right partner is hard enough in this life, being together should be the easy thing. :)

Sounds like those who chose a lawyer haven't really found it to be advantageous. I guess I'll start to the process and if I feel I can't get it done, go with a lawyer.

-Mark

I'm a minimum of 2 months behind in the process due to hiring an Attorney. I had all the documents requested to him in January 2008. He didn't file them until the end of February. My NOA from the I-130 came in the beginning of March and it took him another month to file the I-129F. I'm not saying they are all the same. If I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't have hired an attorney.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

-Mark

Mark,

I know how you are feeling, at the start of this process I didn't have a clue what to do and the USCIS website isn't a great deal of help in making you feel confident that you are doing everything required. However, VJ is an amazing site that made every aspect of the process simple - literally just ticking off each section on the guides until an assembled package was constructed. I am so pleased that I stumbled across this site prior to starting the process, it really made things so much easier. As someone said above, please check out the guides and familiarize yourself with what is required before you hire anyone, the more times you read it I'm sure the less complicated it will seem.

Unless you have special circumstances, i.e have overstayed in the past, have a criminal record, etc. then VJ is all you need. I know it can seem daunting at first as it's a long, convoluted process, but it's well worth doing it yourself if you can to ensure everything is done properly and error free and as quickly as possible. As people's experience in this thread shows, a lawyer can slow things down, and definitely does not expedite the process as you would have to provide the information required anyway. So long as your case is straightforward I'd save the money you would otherwise allocate to an attorney and put it towards a fantastic honeymoon once you marry your partner.

If there's anything you are unsure about, please ask questions on here. I wish you the best of luck in your journey and future.

Darren

I-129F K-1 Timeline

08/11/07 I-129F package sent to NSC

03/11/08 Interview - APPROVED

03/14/08 K1 Visa Received

03/17/08 Entered USA on Visa

06/04/08 Wedding

I-485 AOS Timeline

07/02/08 I-485 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox with I-765 Employment Application. (Received 5th)

07/11/08 Check cashed

07/10/08 I-797C NOA's sent for both I-485 and I-765 (Received on 15th)

07/17/08 I-797C Biometrics appointment letter sent (Received on 21st)

08/02/08 Biometrics appointment in Denver, Colorado.

09/05/08 EAD Approved

09/09/08 EAD Card Production Ordered

09/10/08 EAD Card issued (Received 15th)

10/24/08 Interview Letter Received

12/08/08 INTERVIEW - APPROVED

12/08/08 2 Year Permanent Resident Card sent, (Received 14th)

I-751 Removal of Conditions Timeline

10/04/10 I-751 Package sent to California Service Center (Delivered 6th Oct. @ 9:25am)

10/06/10 I-751 NOA1 issued, (received 14th Oct.)

11/29/10 Biometrics Appointment (Received letter 8th Nov, dated 1st Nov.)

02/03/11 APPROVED - 10 Year Green-Card production ordered.

02/14/11 10 Year Green card received in mail.

N-400 Application for Naturalization

12-22-17 N-400 package sent in Phoenix Lock Box
12-27-17 Package received at Phoenix Lock Box and I-797 NOA sent to me.
01-17-18 Biometrics Appointment in Denver, CO (I missed this as no appointment letter was received.)
03-22-18 I found out about missed appointment and contacted USCIS to reschedule.
05-20-18 Biometrics appointment. (Biometrics reviewed by USCIS on 05-21-18)
08-30-18 USCIS Naturalization Interview (Notice sent 07-25-18)

Timeline

Thanks you all. This site has a real family feel to it and I appreciate that. Awesome!!!

Ok, I took some time from work and printed off everything and started filling out the paperwork. I'm gonna take everything with me to India and get the process started. I am glad everyone is so willing to help and offer advice. Good to know there are pleny of people willing to virtually hold my hand through the steps if I hit a roadblock.

Thank you thank you thank you for the both of us.....

-Mark & Vipul

Timeline

07-30-2008 - Got engaged

08-13-2008 - Check cased

I agree totally with what Kim said. Read every link on the guide page and there's more stuff on the FAQ page. There's even tips for how to assemble your package for mailing. The guides tell you to make an extra copy of the whole thing for yourself and one for your fiance. It tells you to even copy the check you write. That's so helpful when later you read somebody's got returned because they didn't send in the correct amount. I've pulled out my packet more than once to see what my check said or what I put in a certain blank on a form. It gives you peace of mind knowing you are in control and not wondering if the lawyer has a decent secretary that can type your name correctly. Or wondering if your stuff got sent off or it's still sitting in the secretary's inbox a month later. With that said, if you just can't read instructions or feel hopelessly disorganized then get a lawyer.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Well in my case I told my fiance to check this website but he prefered to hire an attorney because he didnt have time to do all the paperwork. Even though i told him he could search here, he decided to go for the attorney so i respected his decision. Now that we are waiting for the next step, I always tell my fiance about all the experiences I read here and he tells me i know more than the attorney he hired :yes::lol:

Vicky

mC8rWn810367-02.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Well in my case I told my fiance to check this website but he prefered to hire an attorney because he didnt have time to do all the paperwork. Even though i told him he could search here, he decided to go for the attorney so i respected his decision. Now that we are waiting for the next step, I always tell my fiance about all the experiences I read here and he tells me i know more than the attorney he hired :yes::lol:

Vicky

We hired a lawyer to do our K1 petition and If I knew then what I know now I certainly would not have hired one. This site is excellent for information, and the people here are certainly happy to assist you with your concerns, for free !!!!

Take the money you would spend on a lawyer, and take your soon to be new spouse on a great honeymoon...

the best of luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.