jundp

Baby found dead in fire pit; father's bail set at $1M

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
By Leslie Anne Jones

A Federal Way man arrested in connection with the death of his infant son in a backyard fire pit last weekend was ordered held Wednesday on $1 million bail.

King County prosecutors cited Alberto Rios' criminal record in requesting the high bail during a brief hearing at King County Jail. Rios, 38, has several drug convictions and a domestic-violence charge that was later dropped, said deputy district attorney Steven Kim.

Rios, who has used different aliases and birth dates in the past, also is in the U.S. illegally and has been deported to his native Mexico three times — in 1994, 1996 and in 2001, Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said. Rios is being held at the jail. Kim said prosecutors would decide on formal charges within the next two days.

Police were called to Rios' home in the 2600 block of Southwest 333rd Place at 12:02 Sunday morning. Rios told police he fell asleep on a bench near the fire pit with his 7-month-old son, Diego Alberto Rios-Santana, on his chest. When he awoke, he said, he found his son dead in the fire pit.

The King County Medical Examiner's Office said Wednesday that Diego died of smoke inhalation and burns to his entire body. Court documents said the autopsy also revealed Diego had soot in his esophagus, indicating he was alive when he fell into the fire pit.

Court papers released Wednesday also revealed new details about what happened Saturday night.

Rios and his wife, Maria Santana, had hosted a party that night to celebrate a construction job he had just finished, court papers say. Rios told police he drank between three and six beers and was tired from working all day. A next-door neighbor told a reporter the party was loud and she could see a bonfire blazing in the family's backyard from her bedroom window.

Things quieted down about 10 p.m., the neighbor said, but the fire continued to burn.

After the party ended, Rios said Diego was crying and his wife told him she believed the baby was getting sick. Rios told Santana he would take the baby outside to sleep with him. His 4-year-old daughter asked if she could sleep with him outside too, court papers said. Rios said he fell asleep on the bench near the fire pit with the baby on his chest and his daughter beside him, according to court papers.

When he awoke around midnight, his daughter and infant son were gone. Rios went inside to look for the baby, but returned outside when he couldn't find him. That's when he found Diego in the fire pit, according to court papers.

A neighbor and family friend, Sonya Kendrick, heard a loud bang on her door a short time later, court papers said. She heard Santana screaming for help, according to court papers. When Kendrick arrived at the home she found Rios lying face down and cradling the baby near the fire pit, she told police.

When police arrived, they found Rios holding the dead child wrapped in a jacket in his arms. Police searched the house and had Rios' blood drawn.

advertising

Rios was taken that night to the Federal Way Police Department. Officers said Rios alternately screamed and sobbed in the patrol car, asking over and over how this could happen, according to court documents.

Rios waived his right to appear at Wednesday's bail hearing.

Rios has four prior drug convictions, beginning with a conviction for possession of marijuana in 1990, according to court documents.

In 1995, he was charged with possession of heroin under an alias, according to court documents.

In 2001, he was arrested on suspicion of felony harassment and two counts of fourth-degree assault, according to court documents. The domestic-violence charges were dropped, prosecutors said Wednesday, although it was unclear why.

In 2004, Rios was arrested on suspicion of driving with an open container of alcohol and on suspicion of negligent driving, according to court documents.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement has a detainer on Rios, said spokeswoman Lorie Dankers. As soon as judicial proceedings and any possible prison time are completed, he will be processed for deportation, she said.

Santana and the couple's 4-year-old daughter are staying with family.

Karen Lee, spokeswoman for the state Department of Social and Health Services, said her office has had no previous contact with the family and that the mother has been very cooperative.

Leslie Anne Jones: 206-464-2745 or ljones@seattletimes.com

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...69_baby26m.html

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, what a sad story! It breaks my heart. I am a mother of three and am about ready to have my fourth child and... wow... I can't even fathom any of this. It just breaks my heart. : /

zachsmile2ym1.jpg

Married 3/15/07

USCIS:

NOA1: 5/23/2008

NOA2: 9/12/2008

NVC:

They received: 9/24/2008

Case Complete: 12/1/2008

Interview: 03/24/2009

Received approved visa (after RFE in interview): 04/21/2009

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I know. This is just about 20 miles from where I live. It has everyone completely shocked. The coroner's report said the baby was alive when he fell in the pit...how did the baby not cry? The 4 year old daughter was out there too.

And this guy's been deported THREE times already....

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

oh my goodness. what the??? poor 7months old baby. his not worth it of $1m bail. he should stay in jain till life time wihout bail. poor baby.... it breaks my heart so bad.

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

Marriage: July 16, 2005

I-130 sent: Oct 27, 2007

California Service Center Recieved Oct. 29, 2007

NOA1: Jan 17, 2008

I-130 Approved: April 22, 2008

Received DS-3032/ I-864 Bill: June 3, 2008

AOS bill paid: June 18th 2008

AOS sent : June 30th 2008 Received July 1

AOS cover sheet print out: June 18, 2008

DS230 generated June 22,2008

DS230 PAID June 24, 2004

DS230 received July 3, 2008

NVC Case Completed July 14, 2008

NVC send the Case Complete to USEM Manila: Aug. 5th 2008

USEM recieved complete case from NVC Aug 8th 2008

paid debros aug 22,2008

Medical Sept 9,10 He passed Thank you God. God is always good.

Interview Date: Sept 29, 2008 at USEM Manila 8:30AM APPROVED!!!

Visa In hand: Oct 2, 2008 yahoo

POE Nov 17, 2008.

Green Card and S.S received Nov 28th, 2008

7420.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
sounds a little fishy to me, like someone else said, the story doesnt make sense, and he didn't hear the poor kid scream or anything?

All that aside, Poor little boy :-(

Could be dad was so drunk he was in a stupor and didn't hear the baby crying...

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

There should be no bail for heartless people like him!

Last week there were also 2 babies died in the Phils because of inhumane acts.

1 was thrown away from the building rooftop and another 1 was thrown in the middle of the street.

May God Bless the soul of these little angels..

I promise to love you in good times and in bad, with all I have to give and all that I am, in the only way I know how -- completely and forever......

sad..just wrong

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Shoot him.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
sounds a little fishy to me, like someone else said, the story doesnt make sense, and he didn't hear the poor kid scream or anything?

All that aside, Poor little boy :-(

Could be dad was so drunk he was in a stupor and didn't hear the baby crying...

I agree. That wouldn't excuse what happened, but that would explain a few things...

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

so much for his chance to be a brain surgeon.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Poor little thing.

He may not have heard the baby cry if the baby inhaled the hot soot and air in, and it rendered him unable to cry. If the father was drunk and passed out that would have contributed to him being unable to hear the baby.

Edited by Mrs. BB

I-130

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

Marriage : 2007-05-15

I-130 Sent : 2008-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-05-05

US Entry : 2007-11-13

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Port of Entry : Los Angeles