skegma

Can we get married after getting a k-1 visa????

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

hi all,

this is my first post and hope you can help me ; i'm engaged to a us citizen and we are planning to apply for a k-1 visa as it is faster than k-3 visa but as i come from a very conservative family it would be impossible for me to travel with my fiance to USA without marriage, so i was wondering if after applying for a k-1 visa and getting it we can get married here in morocco before i travel with him to USA to get married there...please help me :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
hi all,

this is my first post and hope you can help me ; i'm engaged to a us citizen and we are planning to apply for a k-1 visa as it is faster than k-3 visa but as i come from a very conservative family it would be impossible for me to travel with my fiance to USA without marriage, so i was wondering if after applying for a k-1 visa and getting it we can get married here in morocco before i travel with him to USA to get married there...please help me :unsure:

As a K1 visa is a fiance visa, i think you have to arrive in the usa as a fiance and then marry in the states before the 90 days.

If you wish to marry before entry you will need to apply for another type of visa.

If anyone knows otherwise please chip in.

Good luck

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

I agree - I remember reading when I was doing my research that you have to enter the US as a fiance (not married) if you are applying for the K-1 Visa. If you get married in the foreign country that pretty much nulls and voids the petition.

There is a couple on VJ who applied for K-1 and then got married before their interview and they were turned away when they went in for the interview. They showed pictures and was very honest with the fact that they got married event though they only did the religous part of the wedding and were not LEGALLY (didnt' sign any papers) married.

suz

Starting over -

I-130

01-08-09 - Mailed I-130

01-09-09 - VSC received I-130 application

01-14-09 - Date of NOA1

01-20-09 - Received NOA1 for I-130

06-17-09 - I-130 Approval

06-22-09 - Received NOA2 for I-130

NVC

07-11-09 - Emailed DS-3032

07-11-09 - Paid AOS Fee $70.00

07-23-09 - DS-3032 Accepted via. Email

08-15-09 - Paid IV Fee $400.00

09-14-09 - Mailed I-864 Package

09-14-09 - Mailed IV DS-230 Package

09-28-09 - Email FROM NVC stating that both forms were incomplete

10-09-09 - NVC Received both forms corrected

10-20-09 - Case Complete at NVC

10-29-09 - CR-1 Interview Date scheduled for 12-23-09

12-23-09 - Placed under Admin Review for six weeks - 2-3-10

01-14-10 - Visa Refused

06-02-10 - USCIS Received the package back from the Embassy

09-18-10 - Hindi Wedding Ceremony

09-28-10 - Recieved Letter from USCIS Stating reasons for revocation

10-01-10 - Returned Package to USCIS will further evidence disputing the reasons the Embassy gave for revocation

11-17-10 - DS 230 and Immigrant Information Sheet returned to the Embassy

12-15-10 - Appointment Letter mailed out setting the interview Date for Feb 7th 2011

02-07-11 - 3rd Interview with the Embassy after USCIS reaffirmed the case

02-09-11 - Visa issued

02-11-11 - Traveled back to the USA - and our journey is finally over! A total of 3.5 years!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

K-1 requires you to marry legally in the U.S. Some on here have done a religious ceremony in their SO's home country as long as it is not a legal ceremony.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, if you got married before you entered the US you cancel out the K-1 and are not allowed to use it. If you are married and enter using a K-1 because the guards don't know, then it will come back to haunt you when you apply for permission to become a permanent resident. Entering on a K-1 and being married is considered 'fraud' and leads to possible deportation and a ban from being in the US. K-1 is for 'fiance's' only - not spouses.

If you can do a non-legally recognized religious ceremony that satisfies your family, you can then do the legal marriage in the US. Just be very careful not to give any impression to the border when crossing that you have had even a non-legal 'marriage' ceremony nor refer to each other as husband and wife - you must still be fiances when you enter the US - or the border guards will turn you back at the border and not allow you to enter even though you are not legally married. If your family still requires a legal service then you really need to consider getting married first and applying for a K-3 or CR1 visa instead, even if it takes longer.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi..i a Filipina and i think my family is as conservative as yours...but i think you cant get married in your country after getting a visa. i've also read in VJ about a couple who had a non-legal religious ceremony before entering US..the consul denied their visa. i've also read in a paper issued by the USCIS that you should enter US as single, unmarried.

you can always talk with your family and will them to understand your situation..you can always go back to get married in your country.

goodluck and may these threads help you.

K1 visa
12.20.07 : NOA1
05.01.08 : NOA2
05.27.08 : MNL case number was received in the US
07.01.08 : interview
07.21.08 : visa on hand!!!
08.25.08 : POE:LAX
09.10.08 : applied for SSN
09.13.08 : just married!!!

11.03.08 : passed behind-the-wheel drive test

AOS
11.12.08 : Sent packet for AOS, EAD and AP
11.17.08 : Packet received at Chicago, IL (day 1)
11.24.08 : Check encashed (day 7)
12.17.08 : Biometrics! (day 30)
01.13.09 : AP and EAD approved (day 57)
01.20.09 : AP arrived in the mail (day 64)
01.22.09 : EAD card received (day 66)
04.20.09 : AOS interview
04.24.09 : Welcome letter received

All of the advice you have received is right. Sadly you cannot be married when you enter the US on a K1 visa. You could do a non legal religious ceremony but knowing that people have been denied even though they can prove their event was not legally binding would definitely put me off. Is it too late to start thinking about a K3 visa?

Bex xxx

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Timeline

thankyou all for your answers, i'm really disappointed, i thought there would be a possibility to get married in my country with a fiancee visa in hand, unfortunately in Morocco there is only one marriage, religious and official marriage is the same...i don't think my family will agree with letting me go without marriage....k-3 is the solution but it takes too long and we want to be together as soon as possible :crying:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
hi all,

It's best to make your life plans first then embark on the visa path that matches them. If marriage in Morocco is your plan, then the US Citizen will need to petition for a spouse visa, not a fiance visa.

I don't know whether your religion recognizes a non-legal marriage as a "married" for the purposes you are concerned about. Mine doesn't. Your Consulate is one of the toughest to obtain a visa through. A bona fide marriage may well make it easier.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Just get married in Morrocco and file for a K3 visa, that would probably make things easier for you both.

Goodluck on the journey.

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline
hi all,

It's best to make your life plans first then embark on the visa path that matches them. If marriage in Morocco is your plan, then the US Citizen will need to petition for a spouse visa, not a fiance visa.

I don't know whether your religion recognizes a non-legal marriage as a "married" for the purposes you are concerned about. Mine doesn't. Your Consulate is one of the toughest to obtain a visa through. A bona fide marriage may well make it easier.

Solid advice. There is a procedure for whichever route you wish to take. It's a long process, so you might as well be comfortable while you wait.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Why does this question continue to appear over and over again?

A K-1 is a fiance visa. Your SO must be your fiance when they step foot in the US. If you marry before that, the visa is null and void and you will start all over again.

I would never suggest that non-binding ceremony before entering the US. Too many people have been denied because it looks official enough to suspect the marriage took place.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
thankyou all for your answers, i'm really disappointed, i thought there would be a possibility to get married in my country with a fiancee visa in hand, unfortunately in Morocco there is only one marriage, religious and official marriage is the same...i don't think my family will agree with letting me go without marriage....k-3 is the solution but it takes too long and we want to be together as soon as possible :crying:

I AM NOT AGREE WITH YOU BECAUSE RELIGIOUS MARRIAGE IN MOROCCO ITS NOT SAME AS LEGAL.

IF U GO TO ADUL IT IS LEGAL, BEFORE WHEN U GO TO ADUL IT IS ISLAMIC BUT NOT ANYMORE NOW EVERYTHING IS CHANGED.

IF U BRING 12 SH'HUD AND READ QURAN IN UR HOUSE WITH THE ACCEPTANCE OF YOUR FAMILY ESPECIALLY THE FATHER THEN IT IS ISLAMICLY MARRIED, THEN HE WILL BE UR HUSBAND IN FRONT OF PEOPLE AND GOD BUT NOT LEGAL (LEGAL =JUST TO KEEP UR RIGHTS) DO NOT SHOW TO EMBASSY ANY SIGN U R MARRIED!!!

I WISH THAT HELPED A LITTLE

SALAM

In the name of Allah most gracious most merciful

AOS Timeline

04/03/2009 Vaccination updated (form I-693)

08/11/2009 AOS application sent

08/13/2009 USCIS received AOS application

08/18/2009 NOAS I-485,I-765, I131 DATED

08/19/2009 Check cashed

08/21/2009 NOAS HARD COPIES RECEIVED

08/31/2009 Biometric letter received dated 8-26-09

09/08/2009 Applied for State ID

09/09/2009 State ID issued

09/10/2009 Case transferred to CSC

09/14/2009 Received the transfer notice in the mail

09/17/2009 Case received and pending

09/22/2009 Biometric Appointment 11:00 AM, Touched on I-485 and I-765

09/23/2009 Touched on I-485 and I-765

10/09/2009 I-131 APPROVED, I-765 card ordered

10/14/2009 I-765 card ordered again

10/15/2009 I-765 touched, AOS Approved

10/16/2009 Touched I-485, AP received in mail

10/19/2009 EAD approval sent Oct 16th, EAD received in mail

10/20/2009 AOS approval sent

10/21/2009 Welcome letter received

10/22/2009 GC received alhamdulillah

Done with uscis until ... 10/14/2011

preg.png

Timeline

thankyou all for your replies, i really appreciate your help

I AM NOT AGREE WITH YOU BECAUSE RELIGIOUS MARRIAGE IN MOROCCO ITS NOT SAME AS LEGAL.

IF U GO TO ADUL IT IS LEGAL, BEFORE WHEN U GO TO ADUL IT IS ISLAMIC BUT NOT ANYMORE NOW EVERYTHING IS CHANGED.

IF U BRING 12 SH'HUD AND READ QURAN IN UR HOUSE WITH THE ACCEPTANCE OF YOUR FAMILY ESPECIALLY THE FATHER THEN IT IS ISLAMICLY MARRIED, THEN HE WILL BE UR HUSBAND IN FRONT OF PEOPLE AND GOD BUT NOT LEGAL (LEGAL =JUST TO KEEP UR RIGHTS) DO NOT SHOW TO EMBASSY ANY SIGN U R MARRIED!!!

SALAM

thanks for your reply but i really didn't know about this 12 chahid staff, does it really happen in morocco, do we need adoul or just the 12 chahid????? plz answer back

Timeline
thankyou all for your replies, i really appreciate your help

SALAM

thanks for your reply but i really didn't know about this 12 chahid staff, does it really happen in morocco, do we need adoul or just the 12 chahid????? plz answer back

No adoul needed u will have just to bring imam who will read quran and ur family which we call it "sadaqa" and it means in islam "tahleel" in this case. after "tahleel" ur fiance is halal for u in front of God and people!

Good luck!!

In the name of Allah most gracious most merciful

AOS Timeline

04/03/2009 Vaccination updated (form I-693)

08/11/2009 AOS application sent

08/13/2009 USCIS received AOS application

08/18/2009 NOAS I-485,I-765, I131 DATED

08/19/2009 Check cashed

08/21/2009 NOAS HARD COPIES RECEIVED

08/31/2009 Biometric letter received dated 8-26-09

09/08/2009 Applied for State ID

09/09/2009 State ID issued

09/10/2009 Case transferred to CSC

09/14/2009 Received the transfer notice in the mail

09/17/2009 Case received and pending

09/22/2009 Biometric Appointment 11:00 AM, Touched on I-485 and I-765

09/23/2009 Touched on I-485 and I-765

10/09/2009 I-131 APPROVED, I-765 card ordered

10/14/2009 I-765 card ordered again

10/15/2009 I-765 touched, AOS Approved

10/16/2009 Touched I-485, AP received in mail

10/19/2009 EAD approval sent Oct 16th, EAD received in mail

10/20/2009 AOS approval sent

10/21/2009 Welcome letter received

10/22/2009 GC received alhamdulillah

Done with uscis until ... 10/14/2011

preg.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.