SteveLaura

God

189 posts in this topic

About the only that you can say with certainty is that all Christians believe that Jesus was the Messiah, Son of God...beyond that, there's not much that you can broadly define Christians with.

How about the Bible?

I am certain the Bible says more than that.

Not really because there is a broad spectrum of just what the Bible is, what it means, and how it is to be interpreted among Christians. Typically, you only hear about Christians who regard the Bible as the ultimate and only source for their beliefs, but they don't represent all Christians.

So your contention is that the Bible says "Jesus is the Son of God" and nothing else? The Bible is just one sentence long?

Or does the Bible say a lot more and you only believe that one sentence?

I think the bible is a problem for many christians, particularly the old testament.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
There were followers of Christ before the Bible existed. The belief that Jesus was the Messiah requires no documentation, just a belief in the proclamation. The Bible does not preclude Christianity.

I sincerely doubt that, since the first five books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus,

Numbers, and Deuteronomy - the Pentateuch) were written by Moses some 1,500 years

before Christ was born.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline

This is my husband's theory on Jesus/God (whatever):

He doesn't think any miracles were performed but instead that there are lots of herbs/plants/mushrooms that create hallucinations or are cures/remedies for problems. He thinks everyone was high when Jesus was walking on water and they were hallucinating when Moses parted the sea. He doesn't think there were miracles only remedies given to people and they thought it was a miracle because they didn't know about "remedies".

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Ok, so you are a pre-Biblical Christian?

I'm pointing out that the Christian Faith is not dependent on the Bible, even though many modern Christians have that notion. In a way, their religion is the Bible...mine is not. I think the Bible is inspired by God, but it was written by humans. The concept that it is some edict from God to be taken literally, word for word, is nonsense. If that were true, the Biblical Literists would have a lot of explaining to do.

Edited by Jabberwocky

I'm pointing out that the Christian Faith is not dependent on the Bible, even though many modern Christians have that notion. In a way, their religion is the Bible...mine is not. I think the Bible is inspired by God, but it was written by humans. The concept that it is some edict from God to be taken literally, every word of it is nonsense. If that were true, the Biblical Literists would have a lot of explaining to do.

So you belief that Jesus is the son of god, but you believe nothing else?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline
There were followers of Christ before the Bible existed. The belief that Jesus was the Messiah requires no documentation, just a belief in the proclamation. The Bible does not preclude Christianity.

I sincerely doubt that, since the first five books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus,

Numbers, and Deuteronomy - the Pentateuch) were written by Moses some 1,500 years

before Christ was born.

The Christian Bible didn't exist until some 300-500 yrs. after Christ.

I'm pointing out that the Christian Faith is not dependent on the Bible, even though many modern Christians have that notion. In a way, their religion is the Bible...mine is not. I think the Bible is inspired by God, but it was written by humans. The concept that it is some edict from God to be taken literally, every word of it is nonsense. If that were true, the Biblical Literists would have a lot of explaining to do.

How do you draw that conclusion?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

So do we take the bible literally or what? Why would not an all loving God, who is perfect, write a book that people can’t seem to understand? Why so many different versions, if it is perfect, wouldn’t you read it and be blown away by the message? I would think a perfect deity would at least make it understandable throughout all ages. Just my two cents.

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm pointing out that the Christian Faith is not dependent on the Bible, even though many modern Christians have that notion. In a way, their religion is the Bible...mine is not. I think the Bible is inspired by God, but it was written by humans. The concept that it is some edict from God to be taken literally, word for word, is nonsense. If that were true, the Biblical Literists would have a lot of explaining to do.

For me, the Bible is not my religion, it helps me in understanding how I should be living my life as a follower of Christ and helps develop my faith. It's a guidebook to me. I have a responsibility to not take it out of context and to do independent study as to why it says what it says. But that's just me. There are many that take it very literally that pulls it out of context, and which frustrates me to no end.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Post #99 in this thread:

Alex, that is your understanding of Christianity but not mine ... About the only that you can say with certainty is that all Christians believe that Jesus was the Messiah, Son of God...beyond that, there's not much that you can broadly define Christians with.

Or are you just saying "Jesus is the Messiah and the Son of God" is the only belief all Christians have in common, not necessarily saying that's all you believe personally?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

Post #99 in this thread:

Alex, that is your understanding of Christianity but not mine ... About the only that you can say with certainty is that all Christians believe that Jesus was the Messiah, Son of God...beyond that, there's not much that you can broadly define Christians with.

Or are you just saying "Jesus is the Messiah and the Son of God" is the only belief all Christians have in common, not necessarily saying that's all you believe personally?

Yes. ;)

Timeline

For me, the Bible is not my religion, it helps me in understanding how I should be living my life as a follower of Christ and helps develop my faith. It's a guidebook to me. I have a responsibility to not take it out of context and to do independent study as to why it says what it says. But that's just me. There are many that take it very literally that pulls it out of context, and which frustrates me to no end.

Fundamentalism is the culprit...I think John Calvin was one of the Founders of Fundamentalist Movement.

Timeline

before Christ was born.

What's that? Isn't the Old Testament a huge part of "the Christian Bible"? Isn't it

as much a part of God-inspired Word as every other part? Is it not chock-full of

God ordering mass genocide for the sake of his chosen ethos?

Or do you choose not to follow that part?

Did God change his personality between the Old Testament and the New?

Has God completed Phase One and moved on to Phase Two?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

before Christ was born.

What's that? Isn't the Old Testament a huge part of "the Christian Bible"? Isn't it

as much a part of God-inspired Word as every other part? Is it not chock-full of

God ordering mass genocide for the sake of his chosen ethos?

Or do you choose not to follow that part?

Did God change his personality between the Old Testament and the New?

Has God completed Phase One and moved on to Phase Two?

Christianity didn't exist before Christ. Christians, believing that Jesus was a Fulfillment of the Scriptures, included some of Hebrew Scriptures when they put together the Bible, but my point is, Christianity was not dependent on any documentation that stated Jesus was the Messiah and Christianity flourished for several hundred years before they had a Bible proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah.

Timeline
Christianity didn't exist before Christ. Christians, believing that Jesus was a Fulfillment of the Scriptures, included some of Hebrew Scriptures when they put together the Bible, but my point is, Christianity was not dependent on any documentation that stated Jesus was the Messiah and Christianity flourished for several hundred years before they had a Bible proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah.

Are you saying that the Old Testament should be tossed to the curb?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you saying that the Old Testament should be tossed to the curb?

The Old Testament is crucial in understanding the New Testament, so my humble answer would be no.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.