SteveLaura

God

189 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Not at all. I'm saying that Christianity existed before the Bible and therefore the belief in Christ is not dependent on any documentation.

Why do you keep saying that? The Bible = The Old Testament + The New Testament

There was no Old Testament Bible before Christianity - only Hebrew Scriptures. Christianity was born from the Jewish Faith that prophesied a messiah, but not all Jews believed that Jesus was the Messiah which still holds true today. Ask someone who is Jewish if they carry around an Old Testament Bible or if one even exists.

Huh? Of course they do.

It's called The Tanakh, the Hebrew Bible.

The first part of The Tanakh is The Torah which is made up of five books ("the Five Books of Moses"

aka The Pentateuch - same as the Old Testament.)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
So if all you Christians can just pick and choose what parts of the bible you're into and which ones aren't relevant, what's the basis of this religion? Wasn't the word that Jesus is the son of god brought to people via the bible? So why believe that part, but not certain other parts? I'm confused.

I've been trying to explain that Christianity predates the Bible by over 300 years. The notion that Christianity is dependent on the Bible to make it so is flawed, even if some Christians have that notion...they're ignoring history.

Timeline
So if all you Christians can just pick and choose what parts of the bible you're into and which ones aren't relevant, what's the basis of this religion? Wasn't the word that Jesus is the son of god brought to people via the bible? So why believe that part, but not certain other parts? I'm confused.

I've been trying to explain that Christianity predates the Bible by over 300 years. The notion that Christianity is dependent on the Bible to make it so is flawed, even if some Christians have that notion...they're ignoring history.

Stop saying that - it's WRONG.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

1. I second AJ, I want to see the bitchslap fight

2. You mean that following Jesus around predates the new testament by 300 years. "Christianity" as we know it is a "religion of the book" and that book is the bible. Being a follower of Jesus and a Christian are two different things. Although Nietzsche did say that the only Christian there ever was died on the cross 2,000 years ago.

Timeline

Search it yourself. Explain then how Christianity flourished in the early 1st Century without a Bible declaring it so?

Timeline

Search it yourself. Explain then how Christianity flourished in the early 1st Century without a Bible declaring it so?

That may be so, but Christianity does not "predate" the Bible.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't pick and choose what parts I am into, I have a responsibility to read and work towards understanding all of it and how it relates to my life.

It's when people pick and choose so much that it is taken out of context, that's when there are problems.

The Messiah was prophesied in the Hebrew Scriptures (particularly in the book of Isaiah). When Jesus came to earth, people had to choose (through experiencing Him in person, or through the testimony of His disciples in combination with the Scriptures) if they believed that Jesus was the Messiah. Christianity (followers of Christ) developed from that group of people. The Bible as we know it today came later.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

How do you make the parts like "women shouldn't talk in church" and "stone the gheys" and "kill people for cutting their hair" etc. fit into your life? That's what I don't get. Or what about the parts where Jesus says one thing and then does something different (like not turning the other cheek)?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
How do you make the parts like "women shouldn't talk in church" and "stone the gheys" and "kill people for cutting their hair" etc. fit into your life? That's what I don't get. Or what about the parts where Jesus says one thing and then does something different (like not turning the other cheek)?

what bible have you been reading ? ..lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

If modern Jews call their ancient scriptures their Bible, that's news to me. From my understanding, there are Books in the Old Testament like Isaiah that the Jewish religion doesn't recognize. When I say Bible in my earlier posts, I'm talking about the one book that was put together and called the Holy Bible...the selection of what Hebrew Scriptures and which Apocrypha would be included. Even among the Christian Bibles, which Books are included vary.

Timeline

Heh I don't think it says anywhere in there that you get killed for cutting your hair, but it does say we can't do it as chicks. So um, have you read that book? Because it makes no sense. A few quite lovely stories tho.

If modern Jews call their ancient scriptures their Bible, that's news to me. From my understanding, there are Books in the Old Testament like Isaiah that the Jewish religion doesn't recognize. When I say Bible in my earlier posts, I'm talking about the one book that was put together and called the Holy Bible...the selection of what Hebrew Scriptures and which Apocrypha would be included. Even among the Christian Bibles, which Books are included vary.

Well look at that, we taught Steven something. :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as the "women shouldn't talk in church" thing -- that was a specific church in the New Testament era that was having difficulty with a group of women who would disrupt services and the ministry of the church. They were being told to hush up because they were doing more harm than good, as far as I can tell.

Not sure what you mean by the other two examples, not sure what part of the Bible you are referencing there. Nor do I understand what you mean by Jesus not turning the other cheek. Or any other examples of Him saying one thing and doing another.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

yes the old testament is filled with a lot of kind of crazy rules.. but the new testament isn't... the old testament is basically there to tell us what things used to be like..

dang, I am not very good at explaining things :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif