Sacha

Lawyer or No Lawyer?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Apart from the fact that lawyers know how to process the K1 application accurately, what other benefits do do they have over you applying for the visa yourself? i.e. time, can lawyers actually work miracles by jumping the queue to get your application approved asap?

2nd March 2006 - I-129F Sent

13th March 2006 - NOA1 & Cheque cashed

30th June 2006 - Received RFE re IMBRA

3rd July 2006 - Mailed RFE to CSC

4th July 2006 - Touched re RFE

5th July 2006 - Touched

18th July 2006 - Touched confirmed receipt for RFE. #######?! I know they received the RFE on 4th July!! Skanks!!!

17th August 2006 - NOA2 finally!!!

11th September 2006 - Package 3 sent to US Consulate (DS-230 part 1, DS-156, DS-156K)

8th October 2006 - Sent checklist to Consulate to confirm that all documents are available for interview

13th October 2006 - Medical (11:30am) - Friday 13th Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!

7th December 2006 - Interview at 10am

7th December 2006 - Consular requested "Proof of non-existence of birth certificate"

15th December 2006 - Courier picked up "Proof of non existence of birth certficate" - what I did? I contacted my lawyer in Vietnam and asked him to search for my NON-EXISTENCE birth certificate and had him write an affidavit of his finding. What a waste of time and money!!

22nd December 2006 - K1 Approved. Finally!

www.johnandtuyen.com

Character is destiny

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Having a lawyer will definitely not jump the queue. The paperwork can be done by yourself with no problems as long as you have no waiver, over-stay or other unusual circumstances.

Good luck with the process.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Apart from the fact that lawyers know how to process the K1 application accurately, what other benefits do do they have over you applying for the visa yourself? i.e. time, can lawyers actually work miracles by jumping the queue to get your application approved asap?

If that were the case, immigration lawyers would be getting richer by the second 'cause all of us would be going that route. They aren't any faster than doing it yourself, and there are some cases where the lawyer messed things up, causing a delay in the process. Just my thoughts....

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Having a lawyer will definitely not jump the queue. The paperwork can be done by yourself with no problems as long as you have no waiver, over-stay or other unusual circumstances.

Good luck with the process.

I agree :thumbs: We used a lawyer and it was of no benefit to us whatsoever. Had we found VJ before the lawyer we never would have used him. As long as you don't have any major immigration issues as stated above you can do it yourself and save a load of money :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is the benefit that you will become infinitely familiar with the entire immigration process as you research the K-1 process in order to catch and correct the multitude of mistakes that your lawyer makes. You will also become familiar with the gathering and compiling of information that the lawyer has you do for him.

That's my experience anyway, after two separate (and highly recommended) immigration lawyers, and $12,000 out of my pocket. If I knew then what I know now, I would have done it all by myself from the start, and it would have been done correctly, instead of the repeated screw-ups the lawyers made on my behalf. I also would be in the US and happy now, instead of still sitting here in Canada 17 months later waiting for my K-1 interview.

Well, there's an oxymoron in your proclamation here.

Firstly, there are many "immigration" lawyers that frankly know little more than you do but will be happy to charge you a few thousand to traverse their learning curve, for any "lawyer" can proclaim to be an "Immigration Attorney" without any knowledge or training whatsoever.

If your case is pretty much ordinary then my advice is to forego the lawyer.

Save your money for your honeymoon..... :yes:

Edited by kaydee457
miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
can lawyers actually work miracles by jumping the queue to get your application approved asap?

Nope. If your case is not complicated and you're not dealing with any of the aforementioned issues, just file for the K-1 yourself. You'll save yourself unnecessary costs and further complications that can come with hiring a lawyer. Other than that, I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

03-21-06 Mailed I-129 F application to TSC

03-29-06 NOA1 from CSC

04-01-06 Touched

04-28-06 Touched

05-01-06 Touched

45009420.gif

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif3dflagsdotcom_austr_2fawl.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

DEFINETELY, NO LAWYER!

As long as you read to everything patientily and clear up your doubts with people that went through the same kind of visa, you can do everything by yourself and save money for honeymoon or for the many extra expanses we use to have in the beggining of marriage life! hehe

Good luck!

BRAUSA2.jpg

AMERIZILIANS ALL THE WAY!!! :P

K-1 Journey

--> Jan 27th, 2006 - Sent the petition to Nebraska SC.

--> Jan 31st, 2006 - 1st NOA received by mail.

--> April 20th, 2006 - 2nd NOA in snail mail!

--> May 5th, 2006 - NVC received and left

--> May 24th, 2006 - Pack. 3 received and left (never received package 4, so the Embassy sent me its content by e-mail)

--> June 26th, 2006 - Medical in São Paulo (Dr. Celso Rodrigues Fava)

--> July 11th - Interview APPROVED!! :D

--> July 13th - Visa in hand

AOS

--> Novr 11th, 2006 - Sent AOS and EAD forms

--> Nov 17th, 2006 - NOA 1

--> Dec 4th, 2006 - Biometrics (appt. letter rec. in 11/24)

--> Nov 28th, 2006 - RFE received

--> Jan, 8th, 2007 - RFE sent

--> Jan, 30th, 2007 - EAD card received

--> Mar, 13th, 2007 - Interview - Pending Security Checks

--> July, 16th, 2007 - USCIS site: Security checks cleared. Welcome Letter in the way!

--> July, 26th, 2007 - GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!! (done with USCIS until 04/2009)

Removing Conditions on Residency

--> April 16th, 2009 - Sent I-751 Application to California Service Center

--> May 8th, 2009 - NOA received (1 year extension letter]

--> June 1st, 2009 - Biometrics appt. letter received

I LOVE MY BABE CHRIS!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Unless you have a unique or difficult circumstance, a lawyer will not provide that much extra, and will certainly not spee things up. There have been plenty of horror stories on here where the lawyers acutally messed things up (I know... imagine a blood sucker making a mistake! :0 )

You still have to collect all the information, documentation, and unless the lawyer has people in the UK to help, the beneficiary still has to do all the work over there as well!

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have not processed my application yet. But I was thinking about getting a lawyer as well, but have decided not to get one. This site is excellent. Make sure to view all the tips and guidelines at http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=300 It walks you through each item you need with tips and sample forms.

Save your money to go visit your fiance one more time while you wait for your K-1 :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would have to agree with this thread and I am a lawyer.

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have just gotten started and decided to NOT use a lawyer. (I posted this exact same question in January.) All the reasons above were considered, but the main reason I decided against it was what one poster noted: A lawyer gets their money up front and then naturally cannot give your case higher priority than their other business; where you can. Thus, a lawyer might actually make the time longer.

So far I have had all my questions answered here at VJ. I'm in the category NOA1 received, i.e. submitted the first round of paperwork and waiting for review.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

~=~................. .................................................~=~

~=~.... pushpin.gif All is going very well !.......................... ~=~

~=~...................................................................~=~

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

3dflags_col0001-0003a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_usasc01-0003a.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have just gotten started and decided to NOT use a lawyer. (I posted this exact same question in January.) All the reasons above were considered, but the main reason I decided against it was what one poster noted: A lawyer gets their money up front and then naturally cannot give your case higher priority than their other business; where you can. Thus, a lawyer might actually make the time longer.

So far I have had all my questions answered here at VJ. I'm in the category NOA1 received, i.e. submitted the first round of paperwork and waiting for review.

Agreed. A huge amount of stress on my part was calling my lawyer (or attempting to, anyway) to find out what had been done, and waiting week after week while they kept telling me things were being done that hadn't been done. They wasted literally months of our time while they did nothing at all except play very efficient phone tag. They're very good at finally returning calls on Friday afternoon with no usable information, and of course when you call them back to find out what they are talking about, they're gone for the weekend. I HATE LAWYERS!!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.