Digital Cameras....Advice please.

61 posts in this topic

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

JG, I have an older Sony Cybershot DSC ssomething - I love it - it's compact, fits in my purse, and takes great pics. I am getting back into photography, so I recently upgraded to a Digital SLR - But my Sony is 4 years old now and still takes great shots.

I have a film Elph, too - Love that camera!

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

As for the batteries, I use rechargables (regular ones get the life sucked out of them in a matter of minutes with a digital)

I usually carry with me 4 fully charged AA batteries and that lasts me an entire day.

:)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
As for the batteries, I use rechargables (regular ones get the life sucked out of them in a matter of minutes with a digital)

I usually carry with me 4 fully charged AA batteries and that lasts me an entire day.

i've been using rechargables in our digital camera and nessa complains they die pretty quick, usually they are good for about 30 pics/30 min i think.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

Hey JG -- I have two digital cameras both FUJI and I love them. The last one I purchased was for $159 it may not have been that much I'll check. It's small enough to take anywhere and it takes great pictures. It does not use regular batteries I think they're called lithium

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's my take on digital camera batteries: get a camera that uses AA batteries. I know some people here say that digital cameras run through AA batteries quickly, but that's probably because they're using the regular alkaline variety or the rechargeable kind, both of which -- I'm sorry to say -- suck pretty badly.

Your best option is to purchase the Energizer AA Lithium or Duracell AA PowerPix batteries. I've had much better luck with Energizer's batteries, but your mileage may vary.

The downside to the two types of AA batteries I listed is that they're expensive (for batteries) when compared to alkaline or rechargeable types. For instance, a 16-pack of Energizer MAX Alkaline AA batteries goes for $11.49 while an 8-pack of Energizer Lithium AA batteries runs $17.09, but you do get what you pay for as well. I've been able to run my digital camera on just two AA Lithium batteries for two weeks straight without changing them once. So maybe those batteries are more expensive, but if they last longer overall, I'll have to buy fewer of them.

Now then... as to why I think digital cameras that use AA batteries are better than the digital cameras that require recharging is because you can always bring more batteries with you if your batteries run out. The same can't be said for recharging your camera. Yes, you could buy an extra battery, charge it up and carry it along, but usually those are much more expensive than AA batteries. Besides, most people aren't going to do this, so they'll have to make sure their camera is fully charged before every outing. Worst of all, any battery that is recharged over and over for eventually loses its charge quicker after a while until it can no longer power the device it's in.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Here's my take on digital camera batteries: get a camera that uses AA batteries. I know some people here say that digital cameras run through AA batteries quickly, but that's probably because they're using the regular alkaline variety or the rechargeable kind, both of which -- I'm sorry to say -- suck pretty badly.

Your best option is to purchase the Energizer AA Lithium or Duracell AA PowerPix batteries. I've had much better luck with Energizer's batteries, but your mileage may vary.

The downside to the two types of AA batteries I listed is that they're expensive (for batteries) when compared to alkaline or rechargeable types. For instance, a 16-pack of Energizer MAX Alkaline AA batteries goes for $11.49 while an 8-pack of Energizer Lithium AA batteries runs $17.09, but you do get what you pay for as well. I've been able to run my digital camera on just two AA Lithium batteries for two weeks straight without changing them once. So maybe those batteries are more expensive, but if they last longer overall, I'll have to buy fewer of them.

Now then... as to why I think digital cameras that use AA batteries are better than the digital cameras that require recharging is because you can always bring more batteries with you if your batteries run out. The same can't be said for recharging your camera. Yes, you could buy an extra battery, charge it up and carry it along, but usually those are much more expensive than AA batteries. Besides, most people aren't going to do this, so they'll have to make sure their camera is fully charged before every outing. Worst of all, any battery that is recharged over and over for eventually loses its charge quicker after a while until it can no longer power the device it's in.

Good points. These, IMO, are valid for the recreational user that travels to locations where having the ability to recharge batteries is diminished. AA batteries are easier to obtain sometimes.

Nevertheless, using my Lithium battery properly (*HINT*), I obtain between 200 and 300 pictures per battery charge. A spare battery means I am good to go. Proper use of a lithium battery pack means conditioning it usually in the first couple of weeks of use- completely charging it the first time and then using it to capacity in several charging cycles.

The trade off is camera functionality. Sometimes you can't get what you want in terms of features on a AA-battery camera. Sometimes you do. Research is necessary to pick the right camera before spending any cash on equipment.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

That issue I am very torn on. I currently have a digital that is just too big to lug with me all the time. It uses AA batteries. I get lots of time out of those batteries. The bad side of that is having to buy more battery packs. I take lots of pictures. I can find them at Walgreens from time to time at $8.99 for the 16 pack.

Rechargables are better for the environment and I am trying to be better for the environment. Plus, in the long run, it should cost less.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have a Canon PowerShot SD800 IS as well and I absolutely love it! It too goes everywhere with me - the size is convenient to carry, it is easy to operate, takes a great shot and gets excellent life for both the battery and the memory chip. We picked up a second battery as well as the charger so that when one battery needs charging we have another all ready to go although the way the batteries last it hasn't really been that necessary. I highly recommend it.

you gotta get yourself one of these...

WP-DC9_2.jpg

pricey, but well worth it to take your camera literally anywhere you go... scuba diving depth as well.

Where the heck do you find something like this? Normal best buy doesnt carry stuff like this.

I know its on eBay from time to time... BUT... I'd rather pay to make sure it was factory-original.

I see you are from Chicago. Check out Helix Camera just off of the Eisenhower (on Racine I think) in Greektown. That's where I bought mine. A normal retailer will scratch heads trying to figure out what it is you're asking about! Beware though... the price was like $175 when I bought it.

That is so cool! My Dad has the same camera - he was the one who recommended this one to us - and he is an avid sailor so I am going to send him this info - he would find it of great use out on Lake Ontario:-). Alas, we are too far from any decent sized body of water to do any regular recreational sailing - something I do miss!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I have the Canon powershot SX100; bought it a few months ago and I'm very happy with it. It's a fine size for me, but my husband has an Elph that is tiny and can easily fit in your pocket (it's about the size of a wallet). The powershot is slightly better quality, but the elph is quite good too and has a nice big screen to view pictures.

As for battery life, I have rechargable AA's in my Canon and so far have taken about 150 pictures and still haven't had to change the batteries. The Elph is too small for AAs so it has a rechargable battery pack that works with a charger that comes with the camera. It doesn't last as long, maybe only 30 pictures or so before having to recharge. And it's a pain because if it runs out while you're out and about you can't just buy some AAs to keep you going, though I imagine you could buy an extra battery to bring with you.

I've found that we tend to bring the Elph with us more just because it's so small and easy to bring with us. I use the bigger one more when I travel or when I'm around home or going somewhere that I'm taking my bag.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

I think most smaller cameras dont use AA batteries, because they take up a lot of space. That's why smaller ones are all on lithium batteries.

Not sure what all the complaining is about. Just like Maviwaro said, I can get 200+ pics on one charge with no problem... on my Canon, not sure on other brands.

It fully charges in like 2 hrs, so no inconvenience, and no additional cost to keep buying batteries.

12140.gif

i've been using rechargables in our digital camera and nessa complains they die pretty quick, usually they are good for about 30 pics/30 min i think.

Wow, weird cause mine last way longer than that.

I've literally gone for a full 24 hours with 4 batteries...no problem.

The only thing I can think of is that she's taking them out before they are fully dead and then not recharging them fully.

It's just like cell phone batteries, the key to keeping it's life is letting it die completely and then charge fully.

Don't half way charge, don't charge half dead batteries, etc. etc. Kills the life of them.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The only thing I can think of is that she's taking them out before they are fully dead and then not recharging them fully.

It's just like cell phone batteries, the key to keeping it's life is letting it die completely and then charge fully.

Don't half way charge, don't charge half dead batteries, etc. etc. Kills the life of them.

yours takes 4 batteries? this camera only uses 2.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

yours takes 4 batteries? this camera only uses 2.

I think she means she only has to change batteries once during a 24 hour period, silly

our Fugi Film FinePix camera uses 2 AA NI_MH batteries.. we use rechargeable ones.. they last ok but I think I have messed them up with not recharging them properly... :unsure:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif