*JG*

Digital Cameras....Advice please.

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I bought a Sony Cybershot just about 2 years ago and it's been the best little camera. I just got a 2gig memory card for recording video...the sound and video quality is decent enough for video keepsake clips people make. I think I paid about $300 for it, but they've gone down in price since. The screen is really big and the controls are very intuitive, easy to use.

I looked at those. Some of the reviews, both professional and personal, were not as good as I like to see. I usually go to CNet to scope out my electronics before I buy them.

Might rethink it a bit if you are that happy with yours.

That's good. I usually do the same. Before making your final decision though, I'd go to an electronic store where they have the cameras on the display to try them out. I think that makes a big difference. :)

Oh, I'm going to the store to buy, so I am definately trying them out. It's just so overwhelming when you get there. I need to have an idea of what I want before I go.

I'd go with a canon, they rock.

Mine is 6.0 Mega Pixels, power shot A540. Think it was around $230.00. I love it!

It does so much cute little things...sepia, black and white, colour swap...It's fantastic.

The more mega pixels, the better quality pictures are when you make them HUGE.

For regular photos you don't need to be spending the big bucks on anything above 6mp.

Also watch out about screen on the back of the camera...you pay for how big it is...so...if you don't specifically need the viewer to be the same size as the camera....don't fork out the extra money for that either. :)

Yah, good advice on the screen. Didn't thing about that.

Did you do the siggy picture with a canon?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Mine is 6.0 Mega Pixels, power shot A540. Think it was around $230.00. I love it!

It does so much cute little things...sepia, black and white, colour swap...It's fantastic.

For regular photos you don't need to be spending the big bucks on anything above 6mp.

Also watch out about screen on the back of the camera...you pay for how big it is...so...if you don't specifically need the viewer to be the same size as the camera....don't fork out the extra money for that either. :)

The larger it is, the more LCD to break IMO.

But it is handy if you want to capture details or if you don't have such a great eye.

In lab I use a Powershot A630 on a light microscope. It is the one with the swivel screen... nice to use on a microscope since it replicates the objective without having to go through a computer system.

As for pixelation I prefer the 7-10 MP range for versatility. I have already blown up several pics from traveling and 7MP is just great for the sizes I've printed.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

What about battery life? First of all, what kind of battery are we talking about?

I love my current digital for it's battery life and it takes just AA batteries. It's just too big and bulky to carry with me all the time (in the darn bag) and I am finding more and more I want to take pictures.

But it is handy if you want to capture details or if you don't have such a great eye.

In lab I use a Powershot A630 on a light microscope. It is the one with the swivel screen... nice to use on a microscope since it replicates the objective without having to go through a computer system.

As for pixelation I prefer the 7-10 MP range for versatility. I have already blown up several pics from traveling and 7MP is just great for the sizes I've printed.

I am looking in the 7, maybe 8 range. No less. Really no more for my purposes.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
What about battery life? First of all, what kind of battery are we talking about?

I love my current digital for it's battery life and it takes just AA batteries. It's just too big and bulky to carry with me all the time (in the darn bag) and I am finding more and more I want to take pictures.

I am looking in the 7, maybe 8 range. No less. Really no more for my purposes.

Umm.... I think usage will affect battery life. The series I use take Li batteries so I carry a spare with me just in case. Good thing is that since the parts, including the camera, is slim enough to fit in my front pocket, I can slip the extra battery in the other pocket if I know I'll be away from a wall-charger for a bit.

The charger itself is barely larger than the battery.

There are excellent reviews and specs at DP Review.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You might want to check out the Imaging Resource which has hundreds of reviews on digital cameras. They also have a tool called My Product Advisor which lets you specify what you're looking for in a digital camera and then directs you to what you're looking for and/or is best suited to your needs.

Doing the above might be the best solution, instead of relying on hearsay or going by "what seems good." :)

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Don't be a sucker for a good price like me! I went looking for a Digital Camera and ended up with the DXG506V since it was also a Camcorder:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5924870

In short it has "locked up" on me an numerous occasions and I have had download problems. The video quality stinks and you must have the subject hold still for the pics!

Timeline
You might want to check out the Imaging Resource which has hundreds of reviews on digital cameras. They also have a tool called My Product Advisor which lets you specify what you're looking for in a digital camera and then directs you to what you're looking for and/or is best suited to your needs.

Doing the above might be the best solution, instead of relying on hearsay or going by "what seems good." :)

Looks like a very nice resource. Good find.

I used to be a Sony chick and recommended them to everyone... that was until I got a Canon. They are awesome!

I got a Canon SD630 and absolutely love it!!! I would not trade this camera for any other. Beautiful crisp pics (i even blew mine up to as big as 16x20 and they were super clear & crisp... so good, that shutterfly said the image was professional and didnt want to print it, and I had to fight them to say I took it!)

Battery life is real good. No AA batteries, you have to charge through wall outlet, but takes a ton of pics on 1 charge.

Overall, I'd highly recommend a Canon.

12140.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a Canon PowerShot SD800 IS as well and I absolutely love it! It too goes everywhere with me - the size is convenient to carry, it is easy to operate, takes a great shot and gets excellent life for both the battery and the memory chip. We picked up a second battery as well as the charger so that when one battery needs charging we have another all ready to go although the way the batteries last it hasn't really been that necessary. I highly recommend it.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I'm currently looking at the Canon Powershot 7.1 Digital ELPH camera model SD-750.

I purchased that camera a short while ago as a carry anywhere in your pocket camera. Also have a Canon D-SLR. The SD-750 is a fantastic camera and I would highly recommend it. Got the daughter-in-law one for a Christmas present I liked mine so much.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline
I have a Canon PowerShot SD800 IS as well and I absolutely love it! It too goes everywhere with me - the size is convenient to carry, it is easy to operate, takes a great shot and gets excellent life for both the battery and the memory chip. We picked up a second battery as well as the charger so that when one battery needs charging we have another all ready to go although the way the batteries last it hasn't really been that necessary. I highly recommend it.

you gotta get yourself one of these...

WP-DC9_2.jpg

pricey, but well worth it to take your camera literally anywhere you go... scuba diving depth as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

For my last trip to Ukraine, I bought myself a Casio Exilim 7.2 MP with 3x optical zoom. Got it at Walmart for $149, and absolutely love it. In fact, I love it so much, I got another one to give my SO for her birthday in 3 days (paid half the price on eBay)! It is compact, super simple, and takes great pictures. You can find great reviews on it here.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has OPTICAL zoom, and not just digital zoom.

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

WP-DC9_2.jpg

pricey, but well worth it to take your camera literally anywhere you go... scuba diving depth as well.

Where the heck do you find something like this? Normal best buy doesnt carry stuff like this.

12140.gif

Timeline

WP-DC9_2.jpg

Where the heck do you find something like this? Normal best buy doesnt carry stuff like this.

I know its on eBay from time to time... BUT... I'd rather pay to make sure it was factory-original.

I see you are from Chicago. Check out Helix Camera just off of the Eisenhower (on Racine I think) in Greektown. That's where I bought mine. A normal retailer will scratch heads trying to figure out what it is you're asking about! Beware though... the price was like $175 when I bought it.