william_wallace

Does too much documentation slow the process down?

24 posts in this topic

I was having a conversation with my fiance and she was talking to a person who worked for the USCIS in Vermont. He recently just moved down there and lives on the same street. She talked to him a few times and mentioned that she was filing the K1. Now this person so called gave her advice on how to file properly. 1 thing that she did really take notice of was that he said dont give too much documentation when you file at first. All that is needed is boarding passes, hotel receipts photos, the letter of intent to marry and a letter explaining how you met. They dont want emails, chat logs, letters as there for the Embassy interview. All Vermont and California is after is that you both have met in person in the last 2 years and that your free to marry. Be interesting to see what everyone else thinks.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I agree.

What the USCIS employee is talking about is primary evidence to prove you met in the last 2 years. That is what USCIS wants.

E-mails, phone calls, chat logs, etc only establish an ongoing relaitonship and are considered secondary evidence. They do not prove you have met in the last 2 years.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My lawyer said the some thing to me! But I didn’t believed him!

now I understand....

That sounds reasonable!

Thank you!

:thumbs:

2008-05-06 I-129F sent

2008-05-10 Delivered to NVC 3:12pm

2008-05-20 NOA1

2008-05-23 Touched

2008-06-26 Touched

2008-06-27 Touched

2008-09-07 NOA2

2008-09-11 Received at NVC

2008-09-12 Left NVC

2008-09-18 Consulate received

2008-09-25 Pkt3 Received

2008-09-28 Pkt3 Returned

2008-09-30 Pkt4 Received

2008-10-09 Interview

2008-10-13 Medical

2008-10-24 Visa Received

2008-10-30 Fying home to my Jonathan

This is a debate that has been going on for some time now on VJ.

Too much vs. too little.

I believe you should just send what they request of you and perhaps a tiny bit more.

Beyond what was asked, I sent 3 emails total, two cards we had mailed each other and 6 photos.

I've read of people sending in like 12 pound petitions, with literally 100's of emails and chat logs.

I think that's total overkill and may ultimately effect the processing time of your petition.

Just as Zee said, chat logs, emails, even pictures don't prove that you have met in the last two years and are only needed for the interview. Send in what they require and you should be good to go.

:)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

it sounds right.

but when we gathered our documentation (i hadnt discoverd this amazing website yet) i called USCIS and asked a lady what they wanted. she said pictures and wedding invitations. as we're still nowhere even close form invitations i asked what else was possible, she aswered ANYTHING that shows you have a relationship (including emails and letters) . seems to me that even the people at USCIS dont know what they really want.

Filed: Timeline

Well I included many emails, phone bills and chat logs in mine. It's probably about an inch and a half thick. The reason why I did this is becouse we have some "red flags". I wanted to make sure the evidence was included in the original petition.

I have heard of some consulates not accepting some peoples evidence or just shoving it aside when they get to the consulate stage. Then saying they are sending it back to uscis to be reviewed becouse of lack of evidence. I know uscis is not really interested in that kind of evidence at that stage. But i wanted to make sure there was something in our petition in case it was sent back. Who knows what the consulates do with our evidence once we give to them to review. Especially if your CO comes from a high fraud country.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
E-mails, phone calls, chat logs, etc only establish an ongoing relaitonship and are considered secondary evidence.

I am not even sure I would call it secondary evidence... I would call it superfulous, unnecessary and time wasting evidence .....

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
it sounds right.

but when we gathered our documentation (i hadnt discoverd this amazing website yet) i called USCIS and asked a lady what they wanted. she said pictures and wedding invitations. as we're still nowhere even close form invitations i asked what else was possible, she aswered ANYTHING that shows you have a relationship (including emails and letters) . seems to me that even the people at USCIS dont know what they really want.

I've seen Marc Ellis recommend sending some bona fides evidence to address red flags. The idea is that the Consulate is not to re-adjudicate issues already approved by the service center. Since USCIS must evaluate every document you send, things that address red flags can help you. If no red flags, the extra documents require more time to evaluate, so they can hurt your timeline.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I sent in a whole ton of secondary evidence and got a really fast approval. But I don't think that's necessarily because of all the surplus.

I really don't think it matters, unless as others have said you have red flags, then yeh it might be better to provide a bit more.

Besides obvious fluctuations and a bit of luck, etc., I think probably what slows people down is 1. being unclear or ambiguous when you answer questions and 2. not organizing the packet well so the adjudicator can easily find everything. Like I said I sent a bunch of secondary, but I separated it and sectioned it off and marked it and everything else. If they didn't "need" to see it then all they had to do was not look.

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I do wonder whether this might depend on the Consulate/Embassy you are filing with. I had this same debate when mailing our petition in, but everything I read about the Casablanca Embassy indicated that you have one shot -- they don't even glance a the evidence you bring in on interview day -- so you need to make a strong case initially in the I-129F. I don't think we did overkill at all, but I did send in about 6 emails or so to show proof of an ongoing relationship (which is required as well). The interview with a Service Center employee (lost the link) here on VJ did also mention that while huge amounts are unnecessary, you do want to include evidence of ongoing relationship.

Those are my thoughts.

it sounds right.

I've seen Marc Ellis recommend sending some bona fides evidence to address red flags. The idea is that the Consulate is not to re-adjudicate issues already approved by the service center. Since USCIS must evaluate every document you send, things that address red flags can help you. If no red flags, the extra documents require more time to evaluate, so they can hurt your timeline.

04/14/2008 Overnighted to VSC

04/15/2008 Received in Vermont

04/21/2008 NOA1 Issued

04/24/2008 Check cleared

05/20/2008 Touched

05/21/2008 Touched again

07/21/2008 NOA2 Approved!

08/12/2008 Forwarded from NVC to Casablanca

08/18/2008 Arrived in Casablanca

08/26/2008 Packet 3 Sent from Consulate

09/01/2008 Packet 3 Arrived

10/15/2008 Interview Scheduled!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I sent in a whole ton of secondary evidence and got a really fast approval. But I don't think that's necessarily because of all the surplus.

[....]

Your fast approval is because you filed with VSC ;)

E-mails, phone calls, chat logs, etc only establish an ongoing relaitonship and are considered secondary evidence.

I am not even sure I would call it secondary evidence... I would call it superfulous, unnecessary and time wasting evidence .....

I agree.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

According to a former USCIS adjudicator:

As an adjudicator, I know what exactly I’m looking for, what’s relevant and what’s not needed to be looked at right at the moment. I’d check the things I needed to check and basically ignore the rest, (unless I needed to find a specific piece of info that I thought might be included within your packet). Otherwise, it all stays in the file, but unless its something I’d deal with to make a determination on your case I wouldn’t bother (unless it was a real slow day and I wanted some entertainment or something to talk about at lunch with the co-workers. “Hey Mary, you should’ve seen the packet I got today…” Just kidding. We usually never talked shop and because we’re always busy, time to browse doesn’t usually happen.

YMMV

For the initial submission alls you have to have is the documents required for your case and proof you've met in the last 2 years.

Proof of a bonafide relationship will come at the embassy interview.

I sent a couple emails plus a photo showing us in front of her airport sign.

I've been on immigration forums for years and have yet to see any peeps denied or RFEd on the initial petition from lack of communication records.

Remember also that what you submit will end up at your interview at the embassy.

So if you do submit surplus evidence be sure you have copies as what you said in the originals may generate questions from the CO at your interview!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

So a couple of olks have mentioned "red flags" but I have seen a list of red flags on the site. Do people know some of the red flags? And if so, what are they?

Thanks

PS already sent in my package, but it would be nice to know if I need to start finding a way to overcome something if folks know its a "red flag"

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Denver CO

Date Filed : 2008-12-04

NOA Date : 2008-12-11

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2009-01-06

Interview Date :

Approval / Denial Date :

Approved :

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

Comments :

it sounds right.

THe people at the call center are useless. They give the most random information. I was once told that K1's don't go to NVC... Really they have no clue half the time.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.