jeffcloe

Immigration lawyers specializing in K1/K3 visa

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, my name is Cloe and I am from the Philippines. My fiance is from Michigan and he has started filing the petition for K1 visa and we want to make sure if we did a right move in hiring a lawyer online that charge us $500 and the website of the lawyer is www.4thelegalgroup.com... Could someone reply on me on this matter, I am new on this forum...I am not sure if I posted my question in the right way hehe ^_^ Thanks.

For we walk by faith, not by sight.

II Corinthians 5:7

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Hi, my name is Cloe and I am from the Philippines. My fiance is from Michigan and he has started filing the petition for K1 visa and we want to make sure if we did a right move in hiring a lawyer online that charge us $500 and the website of the lawyer is www.4thelegalgroup.com... Could someone reply on me on this matter, I am new on this forum...I am not sure if I posted my question in the right way hehe ^_^ Thanks.

Welcome to VJ, it is your choice as to whether to use a lawyer, but most here do it themselves, with the use of the wonderful people here to answer questions along the way.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Just my opinion, but unless you have extreme circumstances (previous overstay, children who will be travelling without approval of one parent..etc) you really don't need a lawyer. The guides, example forms and instructions here on VJ and on uscis website will help you fill the papers out probably better than a lawyer with little experience. $500 would be better spent on a trip to see each other as you wait! :)

Either way, best of luck!

timeline.jpg

Timeline
Just my opinion, but unless you have extreme circumstances (previous overstay, children who will be travelling without approval of one parent..etc) you really don't need a lawyer. The guides, example forms and instructions here on VJ and on uscis website will help you fill the papers out probably better than a lawyer with little experience. $500 would be better spent on a trip to see each other as you wait! :)

Either way, best of luck!

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it...

I am single, no overstaying case, no children, etc... I thought it would be fine not to hire, but my fiance just hired one and we just submitted all the documents including the forms that we have to sign. My only concern now is that I have read some articles stating that there are a number of scam lawyers on this matter...

Welcome to VJ!! The K1 guide is a very easy process to follow and complete by yourselves without the aid of a lawyer. Unless your situation requires special attention then I would suggest saving $500 and put it toward the filing fee! Though $500 isn't a bad price at all. Good luck!!

Timeline

Welcome to VJ!! The K1 guide is a very easy process to follow and complete by yourselves without the aid of a lawyer. Unless your situation requires special attention then I would suggest saving $500 and put it toward the filing fee! Though $500 isn't a bad price at all. Good luck!!

Thanks, only if we found this site sooner we will not want to hire one... ayyyy I feel bad about the $500 now... I have read a lot of information here about K1 and filing the petition and I found it very useful...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It doesn't matter if it is a lawyer or a consultant, check all the documents to make sure they are correct and the correct ones are submitted. There is nothing you can do really if they make a mistake, USCIS doesn't care who makes the mistake.

Talking about lawyers. Iv'e seen a few that charge unrealistic rates. Some charge around $2000 just to file the K1. How the hell do they justify to charge anyone that amount?

beach_1_001.jpg

Timeline
Talking about lawyers. Iv'e seen a few that charge unrealistic rates. Some charge around $2000 just to file the K1. How the hell do they justify to charge anyone that amount?

Yes very true, the first firm we inquired asked us about $3,000 for the entire process until I get green card but of course we did not want to pay too much hahaha! I thought if would be practical to just learn by our selves what to do after applying for K1 visa... And also even the $500 that we paid makes me feel a little uncomfortable because I seen that every information is on this website... and all the questions are being answered promptly.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hired a lawyer for the K1, and I regret it. I ended up doing most of the work myself, and it seemed like I paid big money for someone to type for me (and often with errors). Like other posters said, unless you have extraordinary circumstances, you could probably do it on your own. VJ is an amazing resource - much better than my lawyer was, actually.

Good luck!

Our journey:

4/30/08 - AOS/EAD/AP mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/1/08 - packaged rcvd at lockbox

5/8/08 - All 3 NOAs received (dated 5/6)

5/8/08 - check cashed

5/10/08 - Biometrics letter received

5/27/08 - Biometrics appointment

6/10/08 - case transferred to CSC - YAY!

7/11/08 - rcvd emails that EAD card ordered and AP approved!

7/18/08 - AP rcvd

7/19/08 - EAD rcvd

7/29/08 - received email: card production ordered

8/2/08 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED IN MAIL!!!

Somebody posted on VJ a few weeks ago they were charged $3400. They had to put like 2k down and then 200/month for the next 7 months. Or something like that.

I am offering my K-1 filing services for $1250, includes the filing fee. If interested, PM me. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Somebody posted on VJ a few weeks ago they were charged $3400. They had to put like 2k down and then 200/month for the next 7 months. Or something like that.

I am offering my K-1 filing services for $1250, includes the filing fee. If interested, PM me. :thumbs:

Hi! I would like to share my opinion regarding your question. My fiance also hired a paralegal (not really a lawyer) and we paid him $1700 cash, upfront, at one time. I cant say the services we got from the agency have been satisfactory, so if your case is not that complicated (no previous marriages, etc.), I suggest you just do the processing yourself. There are lots of people who can help you in this forum, and I think their replies are much better than the ones I got from the staff of the agency we hired to supposedly help us.

My opinion:

$500 is cheap for US Attorney, and he's not a scam attorney because if he was, he could/would have his bar card pulled. In another thread someone mentioned We the people, that is basically a place that offers legal papers and advice (from what I know about them) and I am not a fan of them.

If I had not had a relative do this a few years ago, and not of discoverd Visa Journey, I would of paid $500 gladly to have someone file the paperwork for me. But I decided to make this a fun adventure, and I have my PI Fiance also doing research on this forum as well.

I run a small company with a few employees, and my time is very limited at times. So $500 would be well worth it.

But I in no way see this as a mistake to hire this particular law firm/lawyer. Your Fiance will still have to gather all the paper work and turn it in to them lawyer, Your Fiance will do most of the hard part and they will basically type it up and have him sign and you sign the paperwork and then submit it.

One thing about the USA compared to PI, Time is precious in USA. I wish we lived on PI time in USA sometimes....

Edited by tallcoolone

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Timeline

hi my fiance is from Michigan too, and he hired a lawyer from San Jose CA. Our Lawyer provided all the forms and reviewed it after we filled it up...they make sure u will not missing anything before they file it...and give u list of documents needed......but u will be the one who will gather all those documents....but if u two are not so busy i suggest not to hire a lawyer, it very easy and VJ forum will help alot....

Our lawyer made a stupid mistakes in our receipt, he gave us their other clients receipt number which they filed the same day as our paper filed......... we were so happy when we found out that we got our NOA2 in just 3 months, after a month of approval we still didnt have any Manila Case number and ive been wondering so much about it..... so i keep bugging my fiance to call or email our lawyer about my case number and then our lawyer found out that he gave us Wrong Receipt.....so i was so upset and told my fiance to ask our lawyer to scanned and send our Real Receipt..... so right now, we're still waiting for NOA2 from California Slow Center and hoping we'll have our NOA2 soon...............

So if ever u will hire lawyer, make sure to ask them to scanned ur receipt number so u r sure its really yours..... that was our mistakes, we didnt ask for it at first cuz we trust them...... But if u think u can handle everything, u better not hire lawyer cuz its very easy and u can save money....

We paid $1500 or $2000 for stupid laywer......LOL...... Goodluck to ur Journey.......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

I really hope you don't end up like my situation (the one that tallcoolone mentioned, with the We The People people), where they don't even bother about what you really need to send and just send 1/5 of the bloody application.

Even paid 400 for her. Big mistake on our part.

Anyway, welcome to VJ, and good luck on your petition! It's going to be a long, arduous wait, so sit back, and try to relax. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.