Susita

POE Question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

All of you that have had your Visas approved and now your fiancee / wife / husband is in the states....

Did you get to wait in line with your fiancee or did you have to go on separate lines? My fiancee doesnt speak English but I speak Spanish and I don't want him to get confused with the immigration people.

Plus he's going to want work authorization and I think I need to help him explain that at JFK airport.

Any insight / wisdom ? :dance:

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I'm also interested on the replies on this subject, I've always wondered, if the K-1 holder can go on the line for US Citizens/Residents with his/her USC Fiance or has to wait on the visitors line (which is usually the longest)?

Edited by eric_and_teresa

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Once you get to JFK you can request to go on the same line with him so that you can help to translate for him or you can request for a translator for when he gets to the immigrations office at the POE, eitherway someone there will be willing to help you.

Good Luck to you both! :star:

1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif avatar_ani_050.gifSOON TO BE HAPPILY DIVORCED! avatar_ani_052.gif 1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

When we arrived into Houston, we were allowed to go through the same immigration line but once we went through the line Isa & Isabella had to go into the immigration office and I had to wait outside. They did have someone that spoke a little spanish ask her questions and no problems. Good luck with everything, if you are traveling with him it will be very easy.

Brian & Isa

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago, I got some good answers.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116557

Btw, when do you plan to go? We're going mid-May, so if you are after, I'll let you know how it went.

Edited by kid brooklyn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

since he wont be a visitor he can go with u on hte residents citizenz line to acctivate the K1 visa =)

All of you that have had your Visas approved and now your fiancee / wife / husband is in the states....

Did you get to wait in line with your fiancee or did you have to go on separate lines? My fiancee doesnt speak English but I speak Spanish and I don't want him to get confused with the immigration people.

Plus he's going to want work authorization and I think I need to help him explain that at JFK airport.

Visa I 130 for Step Daughter

Sept 2010-- Getting documents ready. sent BC out for translation.

March 1st 2012-- Sent documents to USCIS

June 15th 2012 EMAIL OF APPROVAL !!

Dec 15th 2012 -- Interview scheduled ( 1-23-2013)

Jan 9th 2013--Medical Exam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

When we arrived at Dallas/Fort Worth, my husband (well, fiance back then) came in on the same plane with me. He went through the USC line, I went through the visitors line. It was only for my fingerprints and photo and then I was send to the secondary inspection waiting room. I asked an officer if my fiance could be with me which he totally agreed to, so I waited at the door so he wouldn't pass me. So yes, we were able to get through most of the process together.

Maybe go to the POE review section for more stories and to check out potential "high level harrassment POE"

Dallas seems to be one of the easiest POE with very friendly and helpful staff.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

at JFK you typically do not need to ask about the work "stamp" as it appears to be SOP

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I came in with my husband and when the plane arrived in Miami I told him to follow me wherever I went. We went through the US citizens line and then they told us to go to the Immigration office, there the officer spoke Spanish and so he handled it himself. I wasn't going to leave him alone and was with him at all times.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Stay together, unless they specifically ask to speak to one of you separately.

As for which line, try to find an officer that's directing people into lines, and question that officer. Follow instructions.

If you can't find anyone to ask, pick either line. I've NEVER heard of a US Citizen being chided for going through the visitor's line when the USC was accompanying a visitor. I've occasionally heard of a visitor being redirected out of the USC line, but that doesn't seem common. And it's not so bad, in the grand scheme of things.

The worst penalty you'll get for waiting in the wrong line is being asked to go through the other line. And that penalty isn't dished out very often. Don't worry about it.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I recently entered through Atlanta with my fiance. We both went through the visitor line but with seperate customs cards. When we got to the lady she was very nice and put us both on the same customs card (we used his and said he was traveling with one family member) so that we would not be seperated. When we got to the customs person she sent us both to the waiting area where they took his packet, so we were together while he waited for the ok, which took maybe 15-20 minutes.

I don't know if that's typical, but that was my experience. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.