Tom

Immigrant Visa for Stepchild

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Paraguay
Timeline

Does anyone know what happens next after a child arrives in the US on an immigrant visa?

Are there additional forms to complete or does immigration contact us for a green card appointment?

I can't seem to find anything on this topic in the forum.

Thanks!

15 Jul 2005 I-129F Received by the CSC

26 Jul 2005 NOA1

19 Oct 2005 NOA2

24 Oct 2005 Received NOA2 by snail mail

31 Oct 2005 Received letter from NVC with case number

02 Nov 2005 Received email from consulate asking for I-134

04 Nov 2005 Medical exam $150, Vaccinations $90

02 Dec 2005 K-1 Visa Granted

25 Mar 2006 POE JFK Work stamp issued

02 Jun 2006 MARRIED

:DISCLAIMER: I am neither a lawyer nor received any training whatsoever in legal issues. The views I express are through my own personal experiences. Always consult an attorney or legal professional for legal advice.

What kind of visa was used for the child's entry?

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ditto, What type of Visa? Was it from the K1 or did the Stepchild come as a relative of a USC? More information and we can answer the question.

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

• 2 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Ditto, What type of Visa? Was it from the K1 or did the Stepchild come as a relative of a USC? More information and we can answer the question.

Hi,

I am just filing I-130s for stepsons who are only six years old (twins). What kind of visa should we be asking for?

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Hi,

I am just filing I-130s for stepsons who are only six years old (twins). What kind of visa should we be asking for?

Thanks!

[/quote

Same here- I am about to submitt I-130 for my unmarried step son under 21. I read that there is no "waiting in line" for the visa because I am a US Cit applying for my step son. But after that is approved, what happens? He just gets a visa issued and then comes here and then do I have to file an AOS?

Please help! Thanks, Jamie

-Jamie

Filed: Timeline

Does anyone know what happens next after a child arrives in the US on an immigrant visa?

Are there additional forms to complete or does immigration contact us for a green card appointment?

I can't seem to find anything on this topic in the forum.

Thanks!

You say that the child will arrive in the US on an immigration visa.

How old is the child?

Is the biological parent a US citizen?

Your question can't be answer unless you provide more information.

Hi,

Thanks!

You don't ask for a type of visa. Since you filed the I-130s, the US Embassy/Consulate will issue immigration visas.

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Thanks!

Same here- I am about to submitt I-130 for my unmarried step son under 21. I read that there is no "waiting in line" for the visa because I am a US Cit applying for my step son. But after that is approved, what happens? He just gets a visa issued and then comes here and then do I have to file an AOS?

Please help! Thanks, Jamie

When the child enters the US on an immigration visa, the child's visa becomes a temporary green card valid for one year. About 3-6 weeks after entering the US, the child will automatically get a green card sent home. There is no need to file an AOS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks!

They will get immigrant visas. How long have you been married to their parent? Will you be filing at the same time as their parent you are married to or is this parent already in the US. If their parent got IR1, they will get IR2, If their parent got CR1, they will get CR2...

IR - Married 2 years or more at the time of visa issue

CR - Married less than 2 years at the time of visa issue

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

• 4 months later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

When the child enters the US on an immigration visa, the child's visa becomes a temporary green card valid for one year. About 3-6 weeks after entering the US, the child will automatically get a green card sent home. There is no need to file an AOS.

Will the child's visa be enough to file for US passport, when the biological parent is USC? Or we need to wait for the permanent card? The child will be almost 18 when he enters the US. Also, can we request for SSN as soon as he comes in? This is for insurance purposes.

Help please...Anyone?

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Will the child's visa be enough to file for US passport, when the biological parent is USC? Or we need to wait for the permanent card? The child will be almost 18 when he enters the US. Also, can we request for SSN as soon as he comes in? This is for insurance purposes.

You can apply for the SSN immediately (as soon as the child is in SSA's database, usually within 2 weeks).

Regarding the US Passport question, on what basis? If the child has claim to USC then they shouldn't be issued a Visa as they can just CRBA & be a USC/get passport abroad. If not claim to USC then you're looking fir the LPR with USC Parent automatic conversion then I have no idea.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Timeline

Regarding the US Passport question, on what basis? If the child has claim to USC then they shouldn't be issued a Visa as they can just CRBA & be a USC/get passport abroad. If not claim to USC then you're looking fir the LPR with USC Parent automatic conversion then I have no idea.

Thanks for your reply.

Child will have claim to citizenship based on Child Citizenship Act ( the biological mother is USC).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

CCA has some caveats, but mostly, I THINK the child qualifies.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

CCA has some caveats, but mostly, I THINK the child qualifies.

Hi Darnell..So will the child's visa be enough to apply for a US passport?

Ive been researching on VJ, and it seems more practical at the moment to go with applying for passport for when he gets to the US..on the other hand, though, he'll be turning 18 on Dec, so I guess we really need to file for the N600.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I was researching the CCA a bit after adopting my stepchilden (I am USC).

It can be complicated (it was with mine, but I guess adopting makes it more challenging!)

Is the mother US citizen by birth or naturalization?

Was the mother US citizen at the time of birth of the child?

Is the child born outside US?

Reading your email, I guess the child is still outside US, right?

I will check for the part in the CCA when you give me some more information.

Thanks

Sib

Timeline

I was researching the CCA a bit after adopting my stepchilden (I am USC).

It can be complicated (it was with mine, but I guess adopting makes it more challenging!)

Is the mother US citizen by birth or naturalization?

Was the mother US citizen at the time of birth of the child?

Is the child born outside US?

Reading your email, I guess the child is still outside US, right?

I will check for the part in the CCA when you give me some more information.

Thanks

Sib

The mother is USC by naturalization, and was Filipino at the time of the birth of the child.

The child was born in the Philippines. The stepdad (USC) was the one who petitioned for the child, since at the time of filing, the biological mother was still LPR.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.