FaSa2008

Port of entry experiences (K1 Visa)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello all!

I ve been debating on what to do? ..we havent been approved yet but we are already thinking ahead :whistle:

Im definately going down to Lima Peru for the k1 interview, if approved, but we were trying to figure out if he shld come back to NY (jfk)with me or so that its not that chaotic he shkd come a week or two later so he can leave everythign settled in Lima... Its hard also to find same flight as me so we go in the plane together and it comes more expensive for me to pick another airline that it would be cheaper for him so ,

My question is how hard is for the Visa holder to enter the POE by themselves?! are they tough!?

what do they ask them!? what does he have to show!? etc i just wanna make the right decision can he do it alone or does he need me with him??

please enlighten me with some positivie feedback GRACIAS!

:thumbs:

Visa I 130 for Step Daughter

Sept 2010-- Getting documents ready. sent BC out for translation.

March 1st 2012-- Sent documents to USCIS

June 15th 2012 EMAIL OF APPROVAL !!

Dec 15th 2012 -- Interview scheduled ( 1-23-2013)

Jan 9th 2013--Medical Exam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

There are reviews of POE here: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I don't think it should be taugh. I agree, just read the JFK's reviews. They don't seem scary at all. I've entered US through the JFK gates twice - both on student visa though. It wasn't a big deal! My English wasn't as good at first time but I didn't at all have troubles explaining myself. In any case, the airport officers are not supposed to be super friendly. They must be polite and professionals, that's it! You'll be just fine....:) I'm flying US in couple of weeks, via JFK too. I'm sure it'll be much easier that all this waiting all we do... :rolleyes:

AOS

04-16-2008: AOS package Sent to Chicago via Express Mail

05-13-2008: Biometrics

05-22-2008: AOS trasfered to CSC

06-13/17-2008: EAD Approved (2 CRIS email)

06-18/19-2008: AOS touch

06-20-2008: EAD Approval Notice Sent (email)

06-23-2008: EAD in mail

06-23-2008: Another EAD touch (9AM), EAD IN MAIL (1PM)

07-14-2008: I-485 Card Production Ordered

07-21-2008: Green Card in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

We came through JFK together as a family and had no problems. I would go so far as to say our IO was friendly. He reminded me of Liberace. :goofy:

I am a proponent of the JFK route, especially if the non-USC's sense of self worth is tied to providing for the family. Even if they can only work that 90 days, they can at least get their feet wet and have a sense of the business community, rather than going out of their minds from boredom at home. I would love 90 days off, personally :yes: but I think it was better for my husband that he wasn't just home alone all that time. Takes an understanding employer, though.

Best wishes!

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hello all!

I ve been debating on what to do? ..we havent been approved yet but we are already thinking ahead :whistle:

Im definately going down to Lima Peru for the k1 interview, if approved, but we were trying to figure out if he shld come back to NY (jfk)with me or so that its not that chaotic he shkd come a week or two later so he can leave everythign settled in Lima... Its hard also to find same flight as me so we go in the plane together and it comes more expensive for me to pick another airline that it would be cheaper for him so ,

My question is how hard is for the Visa holder to enter the POE by themselves?! are they tough!?

what do they ask them!? what does he have to show!? etc i just wanna make the right decision can he do it alone or does he need me with him??

please enlighten me with some positivie feedback GRACIAS!

:thumbs:

Does he need you there? Probably not. The process is pretty simple. Fernanda had no problems at all. She spoke no english then, so they couldn't ask her anything! She went into a room at the airport with an Immigration Officer, they entered her K-1 and Passport info and within 5 minutes, we were on our way.

Edited by joeyjoey

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Based on my husbands experience, and from what I've read about others, your SO should be fine alone. Dealing with the IO for my husband was not hard. Just be sure to have the papers given by the embassy handy. In addition, when my husband entered he was given a brown envelope by his embassy. The main thing was to NOT open the envelope. It is to be handed to the IO. To my understanding, this still applies.

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

I used that POE about two years and a half ago. My hubby went to the interview with me and we came back together. JFK was a piece of cake, they separated us for about 15 minutes, I had to go to a special room and showed the famous brown envelope, no question, nothing.

Vi

sofsmile-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you guys for all the thoughts. I am going throught he same question. I am going to visit my fiancee in India next month but her may not be scheduled by the time I come back. I am thinking should I go to pick her up again vs. she comes back by herself.

Based on what you guys are saying, I think I should be OK. Does anybody have experience with other airports?

I, too, would advise JFK. And avoid Chicago like the PLAUGE. They screwed up my husband's demo so bad, we're still suffering from it.

Good Luck! :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.