no name

Another state against illegals

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Immigration bill sails though Ind. Senate

IndyStar

12:21 AM January 30, 2008

Despite fears it might open the door to racism and warnings that Indiana’s economy would suffer, the state Senate on Tuesday night passed a bill that would crack down on businesses that employ illegal immigrants.

The 37-11 vote came just before 10 p.m. after another lengthy debate. If the bill becomes law, the attorney general would have the authority to shut down a business for violations.

Senate Bill 335 moves on to the House of Representatives for consideration. House Speaker B. Patrick Bauer, D-South Bend, said after the vote that he had not read the bill and would decide later whether to give it a hearing.

Faced with charges that his bill is an affront to human rights, Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel, ripped into what he called the true targets of the legislation — not workers, but companies that make big profits by paying low wages, often in cash, and threaten illegal immigrants with deportation if they complain.

“Where is the humanity in that?” Delph asked. “This bill is very simple. It is about the rule of law, one of the pillars of democracy.”

Opponents, including Hispanic leaders and a coalition of business and economic interests, worried about unintended consequences such as racism and a scattering of Indiana’s Hispanic population, estimated at about 300,000.

Sen. Tim Lanane, D-Anderson, questioned whether anyone could complain about a business without first making a judgment based on race or heritage.

“There is something about this bill that makes me very uncomfortable,” said Lanane, who voted against the bill. “I think we are setting a dangerous precedent here.”

Sen. Karen Tallian, D-Portage, opposed the bill because she feared employers would be inclined not to hire anyone who they think might cause them problems.

“Anybody who even looks suspect is never going to be hired,” Tallian said.

Businesses would be exempt from prosecution if they use the federal government’s E-Verify system, an online program that verifies whether a worker is legal. Some have complained that the system does not work well, but the Department of Homeland Security defends it.

Perhaps the night’s most passionate argument came from Sen. Brent Steele, who blasted lobbyists for suggesting that Indiana’s economy would suffer if the state’s estimated 85,000 illegal workers were not available to work in fields, on construction sites and at restaurants.

Steele, R-Bedford, said that sounds as if it’s OK to overlook lawbreakers for the sake of profit.

“What are we saying ... to our kids?” Steele asked. “It would be the same as saying to our kids that it’s OK to sell drugs as long as you make a profit.”

As for complaints that some businesses would not be able to survive without illegal workers, Steele said: “I don’t want those kinds of businesses in my state.”

Senate Bill 335 in its present form would allow the attorney general’s office and local prosecutors to investigate written complaints against businesses accused of hiring illegal immigrants. Employers found to have violated the law face a three-tier punishment system: warning, suspension and revocation of its license to operate.

The bill also would make it a Class A misdemeanor to transport, shield or harbor an illegal immigrant for commercial or financial gain. Certain provisions were included to ensure that churches and hospitals could provide care.

link

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for me to buy a house across the border in Indiana.

Many from IL, especially Chicago are moving here (NWI). If you do move, make sure you change the car plates to IN ones or your car will be towed :-)

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Many from IL, especially Chicago are moving here (NWI). If you do move, make sure you change the car plates to IN ones or your car will be towed :-)

I'd do that even if I didn't live in IN. Damn city sticker in Chicago is reason enough to move!!

Plus I can take the train and get off directly at work...

Speaking of which its time for me to get home from work so sayonara.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

I'd do that even if I didn't live in IN. Damn city sticker in Chicago is reason enough to move!!

Plus I can take the train and get off directly at work...

Speaking of which its time for me to get home from work so sayonara.

Train - that's exactly what I'll be using when work is in :-) Hopefully next week.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

I've lived in "Chicagoland" for nearly ten years now.....I can absolutely attest to the fact that I was shocked, and I really mean shocked, when I moved here as to the number of "undocumented aliens"......

That was ten years ago, now it's absurdly indescribable. There was once a Forrest Preserve I went to oftentimes but it has been literally besieged by Hispanics, mostly illegal, on the weekends and is now a very high crime area.

These are the facts.

Edited by kaydee457
miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

and another door slams. :dance:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

It's time to rip the b@lls off these companies who exploit illegal labor.

Go Indiana! woot!

indeed ;)

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Better start besieging the churches

Ouch... we've seen that in history before. People love conveniences don't they...

Anyway, I think some folks need to dedicate themselves to law enforcement. It will be a riot when they start getting sued for letting their true colors fly while "enforcing" the law.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I've lived in "Chicagoland" for nearly ten years now.....I can absolutely attest to the fact that I was shocked, and I really mean shocked, when I moved here as to the number of "undocumented aliens"......

That was ten years ago, now it's absurdly indescribable. There was once a Forrest Preserve I went to oftentimes but it has been literally besieged by Hispanics, mostly illegal, on the weekends and is now a very high crime area.

These are the facts.

do you get a rash by being around hispanics? do you have an IR green card reader to exactly know if they are illegals?? besieged, lol,ohh the hispanic invation.. it must be horrible to be in a public place packed with hispanics... why don't you just say you hate seeing hispanics in public places, what ratio is tolerable for you?

Edited by pedroh

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Timeline

These are the facts.

do you get a rash by being around hispanics? do you have an IR green card reader to exactly know if they are illegals?? besieged, lol,ohh the hispanic invation.. it must be horrible to be in a public place packed with hispanics... why don't you just say you hate seeing hispanics in public places, what ratio is tolerable for you?

:lol:

well said, pedro. put katie in her place.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.