Marilyn.

10 Steps to Being a Better Husband

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Everyone worries too much about bills, getting the kids off to school, and why the dog keeps peeing on the carpet. It's time to light that fire again and remind her of all the reasons why she married you to begin with. Here are 10 steps that will get you on your way to husband of the year.

1) Take an interest in something your wife is really passionate about.

This can be especially tough for guys, because we generally feel that if someone else has interests that differ from ours, they're morons. It's not an easy task, and being able to show interest in something that matters to someone you love shows growth—and that's terrifying. Good, but terrifying. Accomplish this and you'll make her feel better about herself, and you get better insight into what makes her tick.

2) Put the kids to bed.

Once a week give her the night off and put the kids to bed by yourself. Let her take a hot bath, read a book, or check gossip on the Web and forget about the kids. I'm always amazed how happy this makes my wife. It ranks somewhere between low-end jewelry and a Hawaiian vacation.

3) Learn to apologize.

This is the easiest one, and the hardest one. A marriage is a marathon, and we all fly off the handle too quick or let our temper get the best of us sometimes. When you're wrong, it's best to step up and apologize. It's amazing how fast "I'm sorry" can defuse a stupid argument about something you can't even remember.

4) Thank her for putting up with you.

Every once in a while, just thank her for putting up with you. That's all you have to say. Don't launch into a list of your faults, or the story about coming home two days late from that Vegas bachelor party. Just thank her, and let her know that you understand that you're not the easiest person in the world to live with.

5) Clean up after yourself.

Take care of that late night snack or morning cereal bowl. Setting them in the sink is one thing, but go that extra mile and actually put them in the dishwasher. After all, no one enjoys scraping bacon dip off a bowl that's been sitting too long or smelling the chili from the night before. A beer bottle on the counter the next morning is even worse.

6) Make time for just the two of you.

Take her on a date once a month. Surprise her by arranging child care, ordering a pizza for the kids, and getting a sitter. She will be so thrilled at your ability to take care of the details that reservations at the best restaurant in town aren't even necessary. The fact that you love her enough to do this would make a Big Mac taste like cracked crab.

7) Groom yourself.

Don't embarrass her when you venture out of the house. Check the ears, nose, neck and yes, feet for hair or other growths that shouldn't be there. She not only wants you to impress her friends by how you act, but also by how you look.

8) Get away from the family.

Yep, you're getting a free pass. This takes a left turn from the others, but it's essential. Get away from all your responsibilities and go camping or on a golf outing with the guys. You'll laugh, relax, and recharge your batteries. And all three will make you a much better husband when you return.

9) Deal with your side of the family.

Help your wife set expectations with your side of the family when it comes to making plans. Don't make her inform your parents that they won't be seeing their grandkids on Christmas this year—pick up the phone and do it yourself. Dealing with extended family can be a huge stress throughout the year, and you don't want the burden to fall entirely on her.

10) Don't lose your dating manners.

Remember, she's your wife, not one of your buddies. Don't burp during dinner, or squeeze one out during the movie as she's reaching for the popcorn. You wouldn't have done that while you were dating, and you shouldn't do it now. Continue to try and impress her. Do everything you can to keep the fire alive, and fight the urge to let the passion die. Find the new, hot place to eat or take her to see a cool band that's in town. Have fun, laugh, and make sure you tell her how great she looks.

http://men.msn.com/guides/10best/article.a...3996&page=1

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:thumbs: I think I'm gonna print this out and leave it laying around :whistle: Edited by Sonshyne

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well 9 for 10! Not too bad. :D To be honest I don't feel many of these items are that hard what so ever. They seem common sense to me. But I can see how many males would have challenges. The one I rarely and I do mean rarely do is #8. Unless going running alone for a few hours counts. If so, then I'm 10 for 10.

Edited by Kazan' Tiger

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline

-- this is tough. i am working on this. I give myself a C.

3) Learn to apologize.

-- I am a pro at this. A++!

-- I never do this. I think she should thank me for this too :innocent:

-- I am working on this too. I used to be an F, I think I'm up to a C+ now.

-- There is plenty of time for the two of us. A++ all around.

7) Groom yourself.

-- D. I don't want to change this. I like the hobo look.

-- I do. A++

-- HA! I fail this test. But that's ok cuz so does she :innocent:

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

if it was that interesting to begin with, i'd already be interested in it.

2) Put the kids to bed.

duct tape and velcro works wonders.

3) Learn to apologize.

for what? being perfect in every way?

oh please. if putting up with me was any easier i'd have to charge for the honor.

why? isn't that why i got married?

i'll fit that in during commercials during football season.

7) Groom yourself.

i happen to enjoy the natural look

especially hers.

how can i do that if i'm getting away from the family?

what's that?

:lol:

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: Timeline
1) Take an interest in something your wife is really passionate about.[/b]

This can be especially tough for guys, because we generally feel that if someone else has interests that differ from ours, they're morons. It's not an easy task, and being able to show interest in something that matters to someone you love shows growth—and that's terrifying. Good, but terrifying. Accomplish this and you'll make her feel better about herself, and you get better insight into what makes her tick.

2) Put the kids to bed.

Once a week give her the night off and put the kids to bed by yourself. Let her take a hot bath, read a book, or check gossip on the Web and forget about the kids. I'm always amazed how happy this makes my wife. It ranks somewhere between low-end jewelry and a Hawaiian vacation.

3) Learn to apologize.

This is the easiest one, and the hardest one. A marriage is a marathon, and we all fly off the handle too quick or let our temper get the best of us sometimes. When you're wrong, it's best to step up and apologize. It's amazing how fast "I'm sorry" can defuse a stupid argument about something you can't even remember.

Every once in a while, just thank her for putting up with you. That's all you have to say. Don't launch into a list of your faults, or the story about coming home two days late from that Vegas bachelor party. Just thank her, and let her know that you understand that you're not the easiest person in the world to live with.

Take care of that late night snack or morning cereal bowl. Setting them in the sink is one thing, but go that extra mile and actually put them in the dishwasher. After all, no one enjoys scraping bacon dip off a bowl that's been sitting too long or smelling the chili from the night before. A beer bottle on the counter the next morning is even worse.

Take her on a date once a month. Surprise her by arranging child care, ordering a pizza for the kids, and getting a sitter. She will be so thrilled at your ability to take care of the details that reservations at the best restaurant in town aren't even necessary. The fact that you love her enough to do this would make a Big Mac taste like cracked crab.

7) Groom yourself.

Don't embarrass her when you venture out of the house. Check the ears, nose, neck and yes, feet for hair or other growths that shouldn't be there. She not only wants you to impress her friends by how you act, but also by how you look.

Yep, you're getting a free pass. This takes a left turn from the others, but it's essential. Get away from all your responsibilities and go camping or on a golf outing with the guys. You'll laugh, relax, and recharge your batteries. And all three will make you a much better husband when you return.

Help your wife set expectations with your side of the family when it comes to making plans. Don't make her inform your parents that they won't be seeing their grandkids on Christmas this year—pick up the phone and do it yourself. Dealing with extended family can be a huge stress throughout the year, and you don't want the burden to fall entirely on her.

Remember, she's your wife, not one of your buddies. Don't burp during dinner, or squeeze one out during the movie as she's reaching for the popcorn. You wouldn't have done that while you were dating, and you shouldn't do it now. Continue to try and impress her. Do everything you can to keep the fire alive, and fight the urge to let the passion die. Find the new, hot place to eat or take her to see a cool band that's in town. Have fun, laugh, and make sure you tell her how great she looks.

I'd hate to meet the husband who doesn't do this list without being told (cept #8)...meh I dunno...the whole 'be a better husband and clean up after yourself' bit to me reads like the default person who cleans up is the wife...which I find to be a completely sexist notion. Speaking for me only obviously, if I am working a full time job just like my hubby, he is expected to clean up after himself, help with the kids, etc....why is that going 'above and beyond' for a man to share that? Nope, it's 08, and my man is not getting brownie points for cleaning his own coffee cup. Putting the kids to bed? He should WANT to do that. Just as he should WANT to take an interest in summat I like (why would we be married if he wasn't interested in my stuff?), and the apologize stuff? Learn to be a better husband so that you don't NEED to apol for anything! :lol: Make it so that we EACH thank each other for being together...not that the atmosphere is so rough that one needs to 'thank' the other for putting up with him.

And why's the man get a free pass for a vacay, yet there's nowt on here saying 'send your wife on a girlie weekend'? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And if you need to be told to 'make time for each other'...well, alls I gotta say is :blink:

Yes, I know I'm being harsh, but this list irritated the ####### outta me cos it seems like it was written for the 1950s man... ('let' her take a bath? #######?)

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
And if you need to be told to 'make time for each other'...well, alls I gotta say is :blink:

wait till you have a couple of tricycle motors and you'll see.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
2) Put the kids to bed.

duct tape and velcro works wonders.

3) Learn to apologize.

for what? being perfect in every way?

oh please. if putting up with me was any easier i'd have to charge for the honor.

why? isn't that why i got married?

i'll fit that in during commercials during football season.

I was tempted to make a joke like "why 10? all you need is 1 step: Yes, dear!"

but...that's so not me :innocent::P

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
why is that going 'above and beyond' for a man to share that? Nope, it's 08, and my man is not getting brownie points for cleaning his own coffee cup. Putting the kids to bed? He should WANT to do that. ...

Yes, I know I'm being harsh, but this list irritated the ####### outta me cos it seems like it was written for the 1950s man... ('let' her take a bath? #######?)

I couldn't agree more.

The "Make time for just the two of you" IS a big deal when you have young kids. At least for us. It's important, but still something we need to work on more.

terrible article

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I won't belch at dinner, but you can't ask me to give up farts during movies.

Number 10 of How To Be A Better Wife should be "learn to laugh at farts."

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online