bora bora

Do couples give up too quickly?

Separation  

120 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, do couples give up too quickly?

• Yes
    • No
    • I couldn't tell ya
    • Who cares about other couples?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

How could anyone know for sure if another couple has "given up too quickly"?

We are not them.

We don't know what their relationship is really like or what it is even based on, let alone what each of them expect or need. We don't know what they can live with/without or how much stress/separation/whatever THEIR relationship; or THEY as individuals can handle.

How can an outsider to the relationship really say they "gave up too quickly"....and KNOW that they actually did?

IMO an individual can only answer honestly for themselves; with regards to their own relationship.

People do what's right/comfortable for THEM.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

We are not them.

We don't know what their relationship is really like or what it is even based on, let alone what each of them expect or need. We don't know what they can live with/without or how much stress/separation/whatever THEIR relationship; or THEY as individuals can handle.

How can an outsider to the relationship really say they "gave up too quickly"....and KNOW that they actually did?

IMO an individual can only answer honestly for themselves; with regards to their own relationship.

:thumbs: and really...to hell with what anyone else thinks of what they've done or not done! Actually, Troll's answer (who cares about other couples) may be the best... hehehe

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We are not them.

Well, I wouldn't say that is what I think 100%. There are some people I've seen stick it out who should've given it up long ago.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's pretty obvious couples don't try as hard as they did 80 years ago, otherwise the divorce rate wouldn't be so high, but then again, life is different nowadays. I don't know much about marriage, I know it's for life. Many people get married for the wrong reasons. Why get married?

My thoughts about marriage are the same as tattoos: if you ever had 1 doubt, even for a second, it's because you're not supposed to do it.

Edited by Nessa

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

nice thread by thoughtful vj ppl,ppl who give up quick on a relationship like marriage are actually relationship junkies ( as when rough patch strikes they need shelter so avoid) ,ones who fail to owe responsibilty or have psychological error in their system or persona,

i agree to everyone here.love begetts love ------easy rule.

:whistle:

5443.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is my second marriage and the first one I left because of physical abuse.. even with the extremes in that relationship - i still waited almost 3 years to divorce him because I wanted to make sure I did absolutely everything I could.. I went to counseling, I went to marraige couselling (alone cause he didn't bother to show up).. i gave him time to get help..etc. etc. and when I knew I did everything I could.. I filed for a divorce.. I don't have regrets and I don't lose sleep at nights wondering what "might have been".. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
It's pretty obvious couples don't try as hard as they did 80 years ago, otherwise the divorce rate wouldn't be so high, but then again, life is different nowadays. I don't know much about marriage, I know it's for life. Many people get married for the wrong reasons. Why get married?

My thoughts about marriage are the same as tattoos: if you ever had 1 doubt, even for a second, it's because you're not supposed to do it.

But I wouldn't want a marraige like my grandparents that lasted over 50 years, but my grandfather was horrible to my grandmother and she would have never thought to leave him. You just didn't do it then; most people stayed together no matter what. That's not living, just staying together because the church or your family says you stay together.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Timeline

But I wouldn't want a marraige like my grandparents that lasted over 50 years, but my grandfather was horrible to my grandmother and she would have never thought to leave him. You just didn't do it then; most people stayed together no matter what. That's not living, just staying together because the church or your family says you stay together.

I wouldn't want a marriage like that either. But I think the world is different now. It's normal and people accept easily divorce.

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I think it depends on what the "for worse" part actually is.

It's not up to me to say what is someone else's breaking point.

Exactly. My breaking point came when my ex hit me in front of my daughter. I gave my first marriage 20 years. Once the abuse started, I didn't hesitate...my life and that of my daughter's meant a hell of a lot more to me than worrying if I was "giving up too quickly".

This is my second marriage and the first one I left because of physical abuse.. even with the extremes in that relationship - i still waited almost 3 years to divorce him because I wanted to make sure I did absolutely everything I could.. I went to counseling, I went to marraige couselling (alone cause he didn't bother to show up).. i gave him time to get help..etc. etc. and when I knew I did everything I could.. I filed for a divorce.. I don't have regrets and I don't lose sleep at nights wondering what "might have been".. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Whether this kind of thing happens 2 months or 2 years into a marriage...I can't see why someone would fight so hard to preserve a relationship like this just so they can say "I didn't give up so easy". Is physical harm (or mental) worth it just to save one's pride? IMHO of course.

With that said, I do think some couples give up easy...but that's just MY opinion and certainly not to be misconstrued as the gospel truth.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
In today's instant gratification society, people treat S/Os like channels on the television. (click) We need a whole lot more commitment. I would fight for my relationship, any day, over giving up. Of course, there are breaking points, but the reasons some people break up are paltry.

I tend to agree - although I wonder if the percentages would be different in the immigration community vs. everyone else. I feel like from what I read here on Vj very often it's, "It didn't work out...I'm sending him/her back."

Who knows though.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If two people come to agree that they should give up their relationship, it says something about their love from the start. Dontcha think??

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Timeline

Ahhhh, youth. It really is wasted on the young.

I am so glad you are out of that relationship, E. I am even more glad that you survived the 3 years while you went through your verification process. I am especially glad for the Kipster. He is truly heaven sent. :thumbs:

Exactly. My breaking point came when my ex hit me in front of my daughter. I gave my first marriage 20 years. Once the abuse started, I didn't hesitate...my life and that of my daughter's meant a hell of a lot more to me than worrying if I was "giving up too quickly".

That just makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Thank God you left immediately. I imagine it would have been a different story if you hadn't.

If two people come to agree that they should give up their relationship, it says something about their love from the start. Dontcha think??

No, I don't think that. I think that people who agree on something as important as a relationship are intelligent and thoughtful. I think the crazy ones are those who aren't able to agree.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Whether this kind of thing happens 2 months or 2 years into a marriage...I can't see why someone would fight so hard to preserve a relationship like this just so they can say "I didn't give up so easy". Is physical harm (or mental) worth it just to save one's pride? IMHO of course.

No totally see your side Karen.. completely.. For me I knew i had every reason to walk away and never look back.. at the time though, i was a sick as well, having been mentally & verbally abused by him for 3 years, that I wasn't thinking 100% clearly. I could SEE that I needed to exit, and was taking all the steps I knew to be safe and apart from him, but for me personally I NEEDED to do everything I could do, even with an abuser as a husband, to know that I did everything I could on my end to make things better.. in the process I got better and I healed.. and I got to a place where I could open my heart up to another.... It was something I vowed to do for myself, so I could let go, and then I knew it was time to start divorce proceedings.. He certainly wasn't going to pay for them!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Ahhhh, youth. It really is wasted on the young.

so you think you should get married even if you have doubts, correct?

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline