bora bora

Do couples give up too quickly?

Separation  

120 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, do couples give up too quickly?

• Yes
    • No
    • I couldn't tell ya
    • Who cares about other couples?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I did say no i think everyone still tries and then usually tries some more but with each case being different its hard to generalize. Years ago the family unit did represent more, women werent working and would often stay together because of need. Now times change fortunately in this area and women no longer need to stay say in an abusive marriage but i still think most try their best in their individual situations. Marriage has no written guarantees.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

From a general standpoint, it does appear that relationships are disposable....

HOWEVER

You can only save a relationship if both people are willing to seek help and to compromise and to give due consideration to the other person's needs. I don't think you can say that people give up too easily unless you've lived through whatever they've had to live through. Of course you shouldn't walk out after the first argument, but there comes a point sometimes where you recognise that it's never going to get any better than it is and you have to make a decision about whether you can live with that or not.

I think it's very sad if two people stay together merely out of a sense of obligation and make each other unhappy for the rest of their lives.

It's one of the reasons that I think maintaining a relationship at a distance can be a good thing sometimes because really all you can do is talk and you have time to learn a lot of both good and bad things about each other before you make a final commitment.

ITA

I don't care about other couples.

brother arijit, you missed your calling..you should ahve been a psychologist

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Other Timeline

Being separated and 'talking' - 'learning' about each other - doesn't guarantee success of the relationship. Talk is one thing - action is another. Somebody can talk till the cows come home about what they are, who they are, etc. The proof is in the pudding - what they are REALLY like in day to day life. The two can be very different things.

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think some people are not willing to put in the effort to make their marriage work. But on the other hand ... it takes 'two' willing individuals. So if one person wants it, and the other does not - you are between a rock and a hard place.

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This is very true. This was the biggest reasons I moved to Russia for a year and lived, as a real family (not a tourist) with my fiancée and her children. Sure we could talk and e-mail up a storm, but... We needed a practical examination. We both passed with high marks. :D

Being separated and 'talking' - 'learning' about each other - doesn't guarantee success of the relationship. Talk is one thing - action is another. Somebody can talk till the cows come home about what they are, who they are, etc. The proof is in the pudding - what they are REALLY like in day to day life. The two can be very different things.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline

Agreed. I have fallen short of my words many, many times.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Timeline

Agreed. I have fallen short of my words many, many times.

Awww.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I know two women who were having troubles with their husbands and are now separated. Neither one was married more than 5 years. It seems to me that they just gave up...

Do people still fight to stay married?

I often ask others who want to walk away from their significant other...."have you done all you can do to save this relationship, before you walk away?" Most respond by saying they are tired or they give up.

I guess it has to be determine how much they really value their marriage, if they are they are willing to stay for better or worse.

I think it depends on what the "for worse" part actually is.

It's not up to me to say what is someone else's breaking point.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
You can only save a relationship if both people are willing to seek help and to compromise and to give due consideration to the other person's needs. I don't think you can say that people give up too easily unless you've lived through whatever they've had to live through. Of course you shouldn't walk out after the first argument, but there comes a point sometimes where you recognise that it's never going to get any better than it is and you have to make a decision about whether you can live with that or not.

I think it's very sad if two people stay together merely out of a sense of obligation and make each other unhappy for the rest of their lives.

It's one of the reasons that I think maintaining a relationship at a distance can be a good thing sometimes because really all you can do is talk and you have time to learn a lot of both good and bad things about each other before you make a final commitment.

ITA

I agree as well. There are too many variables to say if a person gives up too quickly or not. Lots of things come into play...are both willing to work on things, do both acknowledge there is a problem, are both motivated to change, is there abuse going on, cheating etc. Too many variables to say what is too quick. As someone else said...I can't judge another person's breaking point. So in my eyes while some may give up too quickly I also think some don't give up quickly enough. It is always going to be a matter of personal opinion.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
In a nutshell, I tried to "make it work" with my ex-husband. However, when you try to sit down and talk to someone about the problems you're having and all he does is sit on the couch watching TV, eating chips, and ignoring you, it's very difficult to make it work. Especially when he makes no effort at hunting down a job, would never consider taking a minimum-wage job because he considers it "beneath him," and can't help out around the apartment because he's "sick" all the time.

I don't know about you guys, but I wanted to be a partner to my husband. I never wanted to be his f##king mother. That's not a relationship, that's a disaster.

O_O I understand what you mean, completely. I wish I'd had the sense to leave after two years rather than feeling guilty because I hadn't really loved my ex enough to begin with and toughing it out for NINE years. You totally did the right thing, because that kind of situation really does get worse the longer it goes on. ~ Hannah

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
I voted yes.Nowadays people think that couples are disposable.It's like "ok if I don't like this one,I'll just get another one."

I am not sure what is really wrong with that attitude. Just what is the benefit of staying in a bad relationship or marriage?

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Fight to stay married. I don't think you should fight to stay married. You either are supposed to be married or you aren't. Fighting for what isn't meant to be won't change anything. More like delaying the inevitable.

I agree with both of these sentiments. Perhaps it's more that some people get married too quickly than they abandoned marriages too quickly. For every marriage that ends where there wasn't one of those deal breakers that most of us agree on (cheating, abuse, etc), maybe those people really just didn't know the other person well enough. Maybe one or both of them presented themselves as they wanted the other to believe they were, but not actually how they were, just to find that special person they wanted to believe would be the one they'd spend the rest of their life with. They weren't the right person in the first place. And loving someone is not the same as being in love with and wanting to commit to another person. So if it's not working, and you know it really isn't meant to be, why try to save something that never was there in the first place? Maybe I'm too idealistic, but if it's the right person, you'll make it through the rough spots.

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
For every marriage that ends where there wasn't one of those deal breakers that most of us agree on (cheating, abuse, etc), maybe those people really just didn't know the other person well enough. Maybe one or both of them presented themselves as they wanted the other to believe they were, but not actually how they were, just to find that special person they wanted to believe would be the one they'd spend the rest of their life with. They weren't the right person in the first place. And loving someone is not the same as being in love with and wanting to commit to another person. So if it's not working, and you know it really isn't meant to be, why try to save something that never was there in the first place? Maybe I'm too idealistic, but if it's the right person, you'll make it through the rough spots.

I don't know. People certainly are known for changing a lot. I think you need to know that the person is basically good on the inside, but there's no guarantee of what could happen later.

Sometimes people make even little changes that can drive a serious wedge in the relationship. My SO is the right person now, but if he one day became wealthy and didn't want to be charitable, or if he got into hunting, or if he started drinking a lot, each of those examples really would change and harm our relationship.

If he completely changed, like he found Jesus and became a missionary or something, I feel pretty certain our relationship would end. I know he feels the same way, too.

That's why I don't like phrases like "that's just the way I am"; personalities are not fixed in place.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
I don't know. People certainly are known for changing a lot. I think you need to know that the person is basically good on the inside, but there's no guarantee of what could happen later.

Sometimes people make even little changes that can drive a serious wedge in the relationship. My SO is the right person now, but if he one day became wealthy and didn't want to be charitable, or if he got into hunting, or if he started drinking a lot, each of those examples really would change and harm our relationship.

If he completely changed, like he found Jesus and became a missionary or something, I feel pretty certain our relationship would end. I know he feels the same way, too.

That's why I don't like phrases like "that's just the way I am"; personalities are not fixed in place.

yeah, I get what you are saying, just giving one possibility. But also it's another reason not to beat an already dead horse of a relationship even more by trying to stay together.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony